Close

Default Engine sputtering on hard deceleration.

So I did a complete 4 wheel brake job. Turned the rotors and drums. I installed new hawk hp plus pads and have some of their fancy slotted rotors. I flushed the entire brake system with dot 4. I also got new Nitto nt01 up front. Well, the car definitely stops better, I think about as good as it's gonna get with this setup. I'm happy. My question is when I was doing the brake in procedure for the new pads. 10 stops from 30, let cool then 3 hard stops from 40 then let cool, my engine would sputter and came quite close to stalling on the hard 40-0mph stops. Is this a fuel issue or vacuum issue possibly?

What year is the car, how much fuel is in the tank?

85, 3/4 tank fuel. Btw, it has a rear sump tank

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer Down View Post
    85, 3/4 tank fuel. Btw, it has a rear sump tank
    A rear sump tank could possibly be running dry on a hard deceleration and that might be your issue.

Vacuum could be an issue too depending on how much you have and if you have any leaks that might be adding to the issue.

You can connect a vacuum gauge to the engine and then tape it to the lower portion of the windshield in your field of vision. Then try some hard stops and watch the vacuum to see if it drops hard. If the vacuum is fine, then I would suspect fuel issues. You can do the same with an external fuel pressure gauge if you have one. Good Luck!

OH! Forgot with it being an 85, it could also be your float bowl adjustments in your carburetor too.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

If your idle is adjusted with a continuous vacuum leak in the booster and you slam on the brakes that will seal up the vacuum leak most likely. That absolutely could stall the motor. Plug the vacuum assist and see how it idles and acts.