Close

Default EGR spacer studs

Hello:

This may be mechanics 101 but any ideas are helpful. I have the intake off the 86 and need to remove the EGR spacer to replace the gasket and more important, to clean the upper intake. Only manged to remove one stud. VERY tight. I tried heat but since the threads that are stuck are deep in the manifold, not sure I want to risk melting the thing. I suppose I could have a heavy bolt welded to each stud and then crank on it with a wrench but that would require new studs. Which may not be a bad idea. Thoughts?

If it's seized ...... Heat the stud from the bottom near the threads. Touch a candle stick to it at the top of the stud near the intake. This will pull liquid wax into the threads which is about 50x more effective on rusted/seized bolts than penetrating oil.

Use the old school locked double nut trick. put a nut on the stud and turn it down so there is enough room for a second nut also. Hold the top but with a wrench. Tighten the bottom but against the top to lock them together. Now use the wrench on the bottom to turn the stud out.

To install do it again but the opposite way. hold the bottom nut and tighten the top against it then turn it in until tight with only the top nut.
    best regards.

love your car BTW - what color interior does it have? Mine is an original black with red interior car. My favorite but the red has to be nice and all the same throughout- a tall order.
    Last edited by erratic50; 06-15-2017 at 10:13 PM.

What erratic50 said, but....start out by TIGHTENING the stud somewhat, then loosen.

Mike

Great point! Tighten slightly before you hit it with wax or while you hit it with wax would be good. And if it's still being a B, wrap the stud with a cold rag and heat the intake.

if you have an oven, bake it at a reasonable temp like 300 then cool off the studs only and turn them out. Your trying to expand the intake and shrink the stud for clearance.
    Last edited by erratic50; 06-16-2017 at 12:22 AM.

Great ideas. I'll give it another shot today.
    The car was originally white but I had it painted a dark blue maybe fifteen years ago. It needs paint again and this time it will be the lighter 86 blue. But that's down the road yet.

Got the remaining two studs out of the upper manifold yesterday. I used heat a few times and then let it cool. Good pair of vise grips and gentle but firm persuasion and out they came. Started them with a wrench with a pipe fit down over it. Another old trick. More torque. May need to run one through a die to clean up the threads but otherwise good to go. Thanks for the advice. Now to finish cleaning and reassemble. Eager to drive it.