Close

Default New member from Jacksonville FL

Hello. I am new to this forum and new to mustangs. Growing up my fater loved mustangs. He would trade in and get a new red convertible mustang every two years. Started with a fox body 5.0 and ended in 2009 with a GT.

We came into the posession of a 1 famiily owned 1985 xl convertible last week. It has been in a garage in Florida and used as a vacation ride for the past 20 years. The registration wasnt renewed about 3 years ago and has sat. it has a 3.8l TBI. the top is shot, and needs some TLC. I didnt have a trailer with me when we found it, so I have to drive back down and pick it up in a week or two.

I charged the 6 year old batter and fired it up. It started!! There is a hesitation when you hit the skinny peddel, but the TBI injctors have not been used in a while so that soesnt scare me. But as we drove aroound the block a few times, then suddlenly all the coolant dumped out. I am guess a catistophic failiure of the water pump.

I plan to replace the water pump, t-stat, and any hoses that look suspicious. Get the injectors cleaned / replaced. get good fuel and see what happened.

This ar is going to be my sons first car. I am sure he will love it!

Welcome to FEP. Great to hear you found a car already. Good luck and have fun with the build.. Put some pics up so we can see her...

hey man welcome! I'm just 3 hours south in Vero Beach
    Devin

1979 Mustang Cobra - IRS, MM Suspension, 302/t5
    Check out my build thread for tons of IRS info, and general restoration help. There's a little bit of everything -->goo.gl/krmqNz
    Pm's welcome if you have any questions

Welcome to the site, I'm up in Canada but we have a family home in Lake Placid just outside of Sebring. Hopefully your son will love it, mine son wants to drive my car but that will be when I'm in the ground. LOL.