Close

Question Seat options for 85 Coupe

I hope maybe there are some of you out there that have explored various seat options for a coupe. I'd love to stick with some OEM seats (GT, SVO) but good sets of those are rare and I've got a coupe, so the back seat wouldn't work. I'd also be fine with LX seats but mine are really shot and I'm afraid would cost as much to rebuild as buying new seats. On the other hand, that might be the only option for the rear bench.

So, what's out there as a set that works well? Anyone have any experiences to share? Whatever I end up going with it needs to match a gray interior.

I've done the whole rebuilding thing, and it's really not bad. You'll be spending some money, yes, but you essentially get a brand new seat when you're done with new foam and upholstery. Plus, TMI offers upholstery for the coupe back seat, so you could do all matching.

The really good stock seats like '01-04 Cobra/Bullitt/Mach 1 command big money. $1000 and up is common. Where-as people practically give away '87-93 sport seats because they're all faded and ripped. It's VERY easily remedied though, and you end up with nice seats when you're done. I did mine in vinyl, but there's tons of options.

Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

I personally am not a fan of the SN95 seats in the Fox. IMHO they just don't look right, not that they don't fit just out of place in my opinion.

As Brad mentioned above the 84-89 and 90-91 sport seats are pretty easy to come by and generally cheap. Especially the 87-91 seats since they usually don't have the same "COOL" factor as the 84-86 Sport seats.

Keep in mind the 90-91 sport seats use a shorter upper section than the 84-89 seats. Not really a big deal, but it does require you to purchase the correct seat foam and upholstery. TMI offers all the same options for both seats IIRC. I personally like the taller upper section, but then again I am long in the torso . . .

If you want a nice driver/performance seat, then the SVO seat foam with your upholstery choice is the way to go IMHO. TMI and most of the Mustang Vendors off the "Cobra" seat package which is the SVO seat foam and the 03/04 Cobra style upholstery. If you want that 03/04 Cobra look without having to buy the actual Cobra seats that is the way to go. The package will cost you @ $950 on average although at times I have seen it on sale for around $750, but that is often less than what a set of actual Cobra seats cost. This way you get to pick your colors and you have all brand new upholstery with a matching rear seat cover too! Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

FEP Super Member

I have bought 2 sets of 01 Cobra seats now , and either set cost me more than 200 bucks , in excellent condition .
    While there are a few 84-93 fox seats , not many are even what i would call a good core , too many large (fat) people around , have destroyed the frames .
    Very few sport seats , with the pull out for the leg support , in fact i cant remember the last time i saw any .
    Fox parts are hard to find here .
    clowns to the left of me , Jokers to the right

Quote Originally Posted by ashley roachclip View Post
    I have bought 2 sets of 01 Cobra seats now , and either set cost me more than 200 bucks , in excellent condition .
    Then you got VERY lucky.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

FEP Super Member

Well i do know a guy , that parts 99-04 Mustangs , and this is his regular price .
    200-250 for the pair of fronts .
    Another 100 for the rear .
    Lucky maybe , or i found someone that doesnr gouge us Mustang guys to death.
    clowns to the left of me , Jokers to the right

I just installed TMI seats in mine. Absolutely love them!
    Name:  Seats.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  45.1 KB
    Last edited by BlownMerc; 06-16-2017 at 01:48 PM.