Close

Default Radiator Recommendation '86 GT

After 31 years it looks like the radiator in my '86 GT is giving up the ghost. Looking for recommendations on a replacement. My Mustang is a stock, weekend driver. Looking for a high quality radiator that's a direct fit replacement. Searched the interwebs, and styles/prices are all over the place. After doing a little research, leaning towards staying with the factory style 2-row, copper/brass setup in a black finish. Though, I wouldn't rule out upgrading to a 3-row (It gets pretty steamy in Memphis in the summer). My car's stock, and I'd like to maintain the stock look under the hood. Thoughts?

Thanks,
    Tom

I went with mishmoto 2 row. Have had no problems.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Where did you find a true copper/brass unit? Those are hard to come by. If you want to stay "stockish" then scarf that up....and don't be surprised if it has plastic tanks when it arrives. I bought two from two different ebay sellers claiming brass/copper....and they were plastic.

The only real tell-tale sign under the hood if you can find a good copper/brass radiator is it will have the bungs in it for trans cooler...I don't think anyone makes them anymore specifically for Manual vs AT. But that is minimal IMO.

I would love to buy 2-3 more copper/brass units to keep in the parts stash. My '82 has already been changed out when it started to drip. I figure my '85 wont be too far behind.
    Last edited by sowaxeman; 06-22-2017 at 07:57 AM.
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '88 #400 Saleen Coupe "Mean Machine" Legal Guardian
    '93 LX Yellow/Black Summer Feature - 2,800 Mile Original Survivor (Foxtoberfest 2019 Best Original 87-93)
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey

It's been years ago, but I bought mine at NAPA. Copper 2 row. Looks stock except has cooler bungs. Slid right in no issues and cools fine.

You live in a big enough city that there should still be a radiator shop near you. If so, you can have your stock radiator rebuilt. It may cost more than a new plastic radiator but worth it in the long run.

I'm looking at the same thing. I believe NPD has OE style listed. But here in Ann Arbor have a Great old time Radiator shop the still rebuilds. I'm sure they could hook you up. they told me $200ish without seeing it.
    1 of 3 1985 Silver Grand Prix Capr's
    My first New car and still own 1986 Capri

Great advice guys!! Didn't think about a rebuild. Yes, here in Memphis there's a great radiator shop (right next to Sun Records, home of "The King"). I'll check with them on price. Would be great to keep the original radiator.

Thanks again,
    Tom

I'm running an FB-169 in my 1986GT. It's a bit of a squeeze tightening the fan clutch bolts up but everything clears and everything fits. Very nice piece.

I'm running an underdrive setup that underdrive the water pump too unfortunately but even with aggressive timing advance it stays in operating range even when it's very hot outside. I'd really like a smaller water pump pulley too to get my pump and fan back to 1:1.....

It's good for up to 750HP according to frostbite. With proper pump and fan of course.

https://m.summitracing.com/parts/fbr-fb169

I purchased this 3 row copper/brass radiator from Mustang's Unlimited a little over four years ago for about $200, on sale. The price has now gone up to $388, but it's such a quality unit, that I'd say it's worth it. Works great in my '85 with the engine mods I've made (see my signature). Easy to install. I did have to buy some Weatherhead plugs for the auto trans cooler. I also had to trim a little bit of rubber from the radiator support brackets, since the core is slightly wider than the 2 core. Fan shroud bolts right up after your transfer your nutplates from your old radiator. No plastic on this radiator. 100% metal.

http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/Mus...0L-Mustang.axd

Read PaceFever79's review of it here. My post after I bought mine is post #20.
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...r-radiator-169
    Last edited by 854vragtop; 06-18-2017 at 04:09 PM.
    '85 Mustang convertible GT, 5 speed, 4V
    Stock bottom end, Comp Cams XE264HR-14, GT-40P heads w/ Alex's springs, Weiand 8124 Street Warrior,
    Summit Racing 600CFM carb, 8.8 Turbo Coupe rear end w/ 3.55 gears, '94/'95 Cobra brakes, '85 Town Car M/C, '93 Cobra booster, MM Panhard Bar, MM Strut Tower Brace, MM 4 point K-member Brace

'68 Mercury Cougar, w/ '88 5.0L, 4V
    My photo website:
    http://www.twilightphoto.com/

FEP Power Member

Recoring the radiator is great. You can even ask them to transfer over the Ford stamped bracket. Don't waste your time with attempting to recore a non Ford unit. Most will not touch it regardless how it looks.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

FYI - for those also running under drive pulleys.... the exceptionally hard to find and expensive 1993 Cobra and Lightning only f3zz-8509-a small water pump pulley is now being reproduced!! It is carried by Summit!

https://m.summitracing.com/parts/asp-520141

Lets you run the typical underdrive pulley setup but get to a 1:1 water pump to motor RPM. Then you can use a 93 Cobra belt on your fox.

I just bought one today along with a thermostat housing that had a threaded bung for a thermal sensor useful for electric fans..... And a very nice thermostat that has been shown to maintain consistent temps very well.
    Last edited by erratic50; 06-18-2017 at 11:24 PM.

Just got the "93 Cobra" pulley. It's exactly as advertised. Awesome reproduction part!

Anyone who wants to increase waterpump RPM - perfect pulley for that

Anyone who wants to get back to 1:1 while running a small crank pulley to underdrive everything else - perfect.