Close

86caprirs

Default Completed a Fitech swap

Hey guys.

So last spring I took my 1983 Capri L V6 automatic and swapped in a 5.0L from a 92 Mustang and 5 speed from a 84 Capri. It was a good swap. I had an issue with the stock Holley carb that I used though and the stock Ford 4bbl intake was restrictive. So after a lot of research I went and bought the Fitech 30003 400HP kit. I spent a couple weeks getting the efi Mustang tank, fuel lines and a new intake installed and doing a temp sensor relocation. Once she was all done I did the initial set up and she ran pretty good. After a few hick ups and some online training I finally started to figure out how the system works and I am in the fine tuning stages.

All in this is a good system. Just a tiny bit more complicated then a carb except for all adjustments are made with the hand held programmer. I am impressed with the system and I am very impressed with how the car runs now. I wish it was easier to post pics and videos up here. I may try through taptalk.

These modern self learning EFI set ups are getting quite good. I went with the MSD Atomic system as I wanted it to integrate with the ignition system. I spent enough years messing with carbs to know I don't want to do that anymore.

I also just finished swapping a 5.0 into my Fairmont. I am also using the Fitech 400HP unit. Starts and runs very well. Need to finish the exhaust so I can start driving it.

Interested to hear real world mpg results on these. My car runs well with a 4160, but I would consider an injection kit if the mileage was a drastic improvement.

FEP Super Member

It is a hot rod , milage is the last thing on fhe list .
    clowns to the left of me , Jokers to the right

Quote Originally Posted by Lowetlx View Post
    Interested to hear real world mpg results on these. My car runs well with a 4160, but I would consider an injection kit if the mileage was a drastic improvement.
    The old 6 got bad mileage. Another reason it got the boot. A major reason for going with the Fitech was the anticipated easy starting; my kids loved driving this car, but could never get used to starting a car with a carburetor. Ran the battery down trying to start it several times, especially in cold weather. And I'm thinking it couldn't possibly get worse mileage than that old 6.

I just ordered a Fitech system for my 83 T-Top. Did you do a complete fuel tank swap? I wanna use the tank that's already in my car and trying to figure out the best way to add a return line. Any thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    Jeremy

2016 Mustang PP GT
    1989 Mustang LX 5.0
    1983 Mustang L T-Top Coupe

Glad to hear it is working out. I'm beginning to like my FAST EFI conversion.
    Last edited by 84StangSVT; 06-23-2017 at 11:41 AM.
    Brock
    1984 Mustang LX Convertible 3.8L V-6/Auto (SOLD)
    1984 Mustang GT Hatchback 5.0 V-8/5 Speed

I'm an FEP Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

Quote Originally Posted by ponie1992 View Post
    I just ordered a Fitech system for my 83 T-Top. Did you do a complete fuel tank swap? I wanna use the tank that's already in my car and trying to figure out the best way to add a return line. Any thoughts?

I drained my tank and took it to a shop to have a 1/2" pick-up and 3/8" return added. AN fittings.

Quote Originally Posted by gmatt View Post
    I drained my tank and took it to a shop to have a 1/2" pick-up and 3/8" return added. AN fittings.
    Ah, gotcha. Thanks

Jeremy

2016 Mustang PP GT
    1989 Mustang LX 5.0
    1983 Mustang L T-Top Coupe