Close

Default Is this fairmont a Ghia?

Or is it some other package? Is the flight seat suppose to be more comfortable or something? Its a factory 5.0 car with flight seats, rear defroster, and a/c. Im just trying to figure out what i have. I'm hoping to dye the interior black, and throw in the other rarer options like power windows, the electric seats, air roof, and more. Its gonna be a cruise car, not a racer. Any other options that very few had that im missing? I'm probably gonna stick with the auto though.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

Interior décor group (top option) with the "flight bench" seat. Pretty much option-less exterior.

Nice looking car

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by 4-barrel Mike View Post
    Interior décor group (top option) with the "flight bench" seat. Pretty much option-less exterior.

Nice looking car

Mike
    Forgot to mention, the kid who had it before me ripped off all the chrome, rubber, emblems, and hood ornament. Anyways thanks. What makes up the ghias then anyway?

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

I'm not an expert and could be wrong, but I don't believe there was a Fairmont Ghia.

Post pics of your VIN tag and buck tag in the "Production Numbers and Decoding" forum.

Mike

FEP Senior Member

I used to own a 79 Fairmont 2 door sedan Ghia. It had a small Ghia badge on the trunk lid. My car had the same cloth split bench seat as your Futura, except mine was black, and was the only factory power bench seat that I had even seen in a Fairmont. It had cruise control, with a hard plastic 4 spoke steering wheel. Not sure if any of the other options were part of a Ghia package or not, but my sedan had rear 1/4 window louvers, with a lever on each side to allow for flow thru ventalation, AM/FM radio with 4 speakers, tilt steering. One thing I THINK may have been part of the Ghia package was extra sound deadner, this car had insulation that none of my other 6 1978 thru 80 Fairmonts ( 4 2 door sedans, 1 Z7, 1 Futura) came with. There was fluffy insulation with a black plastic cover on the trunk side of the rear seat, as well as strips of the same insulation laying on top of both inner rear wheel wells, between the rear 1/4 panels and the braces below the trunk hinges. It was also the only F/Z in my "fleet" that had F&R bumper guards, plus rubber rub strips on both bumpers. It also had a small round clock in the dash cluster. Again, I do not know if these were all seperate options, or Ghia related.
    1978 Fairmont 2 door sedan, 428CJ 4speed. 9.972ET@132.54mph. 1.29 60 foot
    Replaced the FE big block with my 331/4 speed in my Fairmont, best 10.24ET @128 MPH.
    1985 Mustang LX hatchback NHRA Stock Eliminator 302 4 speed best in legal trim 12.31@107 mph, but has gone 11.42@115 with aftermarket intake, carb, and iron Windsor Jr. heads.New for 2012! 331 cube SB Ford, AFR 185 heads, solid flat tappet cam, pump gas; 10.296ET@128.71 mph, 1.37 60 foot.
    1979 Zephyr Z7, all original 302 auto, 2nd owner.

Quote Originally Posted by mcfairmont View Post
    I used to own a 79 Fairmont 2 door sedan Ghia. It had a small Ghia badge on the trunk lid. My car had the same cloth split bench seat as your Futura, except mine was black, and was the only factory power bench seat that I had even seen in a Fairmont. It had cruise control, with a hard plastic 4 spoke steering wheel. Not sure if any of the other options were part of a Ghia package or not, but my sedan had rear 1/4 window louvers, with a lever on each side to allow for flow thru ventalation, AM/FM radio with 4 speakers, tilt steering. One thing I THINK may have been part of the Ghia package was extra sound deadner, this car had insulation that none of my other 6 1978 thru 80 Fairmonts ( 4 2 door sedans, 1 Z7, 1 Futura) came with. There was fluffy insulation with a black plastic cover on the trunk side of the rear seat, as well as strips of the same insulation laying on top of both inner rear wheel wells, between the rear 1/4 panels and the braces below the trunk hinges. It was also the only F/Z in my "fleet" that had F&R bumper guards, plus rubber rub strips on both bumpers. It also had a small round clock in the dash cluster. Again, I do not know if these were all seperate options, or Ghia related.
    Sounds cool. Do you have any pics?

But yeah, a VIN & tag decode should tell you. Or a Marti Report. The basic report is cheap and well worth it!
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual