Close

Default 84 Fox Street/Strip build

Hi all,
    I recently bought a 84 lx 4 cyl standard. I am converting it to a street/strip car with 302 and AOD. I am looking for others who have done similar builds. I am wanting to keep the interior as stock looking as possible. I have considered the B&M 81002 Shifter that states is for 87-93 consoles. I am curious as to what modifications are needed to make this work in my car. Any help or advice for this build would be greatly appreciated.Name:  FB_IMG_1476577656114.jpg
Views: 311
Size:  148.8 KBName:  FB_IMG_1476577656114.jpg
Views: 311
Size:  148.8 KB

You'll have to do a little tin work, and merge the Four Eye and Aero parts together.

For 87, the AOD kit is cable, whereas the old kit was rod. By getting the cable 87 onwards C4/C6 kit, you can possibily get it together a little more easily.

black1980fiveoh states the stock shift rod and wiring being an issue.

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...hifter-install

The issue is that with a modified C4 to AOD, you have to repitch the extra shift postion between Park and Low. Going cable on an AOD requires some engineer of the AOD'S twin lever TV cable and gear selector.

That cable update for an AOD can be done fairly easily since the plastic shift cover is able to be copied and reworked to suit the later 87 AOD type. The TV cable or rod then has to be accomodated.

It essentially becomes a custom install for AOD Four Eyes.

Aero Stangs have a different center console, and to avoid having to piece together part Four Eye, Part Aero, thats what the B&M 81002 Shifter kit suits.

Quote Originally Posted by 83GLCoupe View Post
    Physically it will shift the transmission, but the difference is the cover plate that fits the console. The part number for the '82-'86 one is 81003.

#81003 might be around in someones inventory, but its New Old Stock

Quote Originally Posted by DARKPHREAK View Post
    B&M Hammer
    Another #81003

Quote Originally Posted by Lubner View Post
    B&M Hammer in my 86GT.

For full details, this is the post http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...fter-questions.

In the old days of the #81003 kit, used to be a Console and Console-Less Option. One sits higher than the other.

These days, your only options are to go the 87-93 AOD #81002.

Tin work, I'm not afraid of, but when you talk about the cabling and repitch, it's greek to me. Your last picture is exactly the look I'm looking for. I haven't ordered the shifter yet because I'm trying to figure it all out before I spend 200 on a shifter I can't use.

Yup, custom builds get geeky quick alright. But its okay because somewhere, You'll have to decide if your going 4BBL, Throttle body Injection, or Port EFI, and that will then allow you to fit the right stuff to your B&M Hammer #81002 shifter.

People here who have done it will help...its just a case of itemising the geeky crud, and deciding what kind of 5.0 you want.

All because B&M didn't have the numbers to continue making the #81003.

You are forced to order an Aero shifter like this

Then hook it up to your either rod shifted and rod TV or Cable TV AOD.

That means, somehow, you gotta link it to your transmission shifter, without messing up the donar cars TV rod or cable.

If its an 87 or onwards AOD, and a Port EFI 5.0 you've got, that will be REALLY easy, but then you have to fit it in the non Aero Mustang console

"somehow".

I was thinking that you might have to rework the shift indicator.

The little shift indicator has to match the transmission selection position.

You should be okay, but its possible you might have to get one of these.

and adjust things some.

As stated, the 87-93 AOD for console #81002 wont fit your Four Eye unless you modifiy the stuff from the AOD transmision.

If its 87-93 style AOD, then you'll be okay.

The transmission hump might need a little work, and the crossmember.

The TV cable on the port EFI 5.0goes to the Throttle body on the engine.

The TV rod on the AOD M code 5.0 HO goes to the Central Fuel Injection unit

If you are using a 4-bbl carb, you have to fit either a rod or cable TV to the AOD transmission

Its this geeky stuff down here that varies, here it is:-

Item A. Your AOD has to use either a TV rod or cable

And

Item B. Your AOD needs to be shifted by a shift rod or cable

Four types

Type 1 Lincoln set up v

Type 2 Panther/Fox set up v

Type 3 Variation Reversed v

Type 4 Variation v

For the TV cable or rod, two types

For the 1980 to 1985 Panthers, long wheel base Foxes and the carberettor looking 84 and 85 CFi 5.0 EFI HO GT,

it was rod TV, like the C4 and FMX's and C6's from 1968 on all over again

http://www.supermotors.net/registry/10768/33518#content

If its a Port 5.0 EFi, then you just use a cable.

I really like the look of the way Lubner did his shifter, to me it's not going to look much nicer than that for a S/S type of build. As far as the rest of your build goes, wow, we could be here all day, lol! What are your goals?
    1984.5 G.T.350 had since 16y/o
    95 Cobra, Crystal White

Quote Originally Posted by Supersonic G.T.350 View Post
    I really like the look of the way Lubner did his shifter, to me it's not going to look much nicer than that for a S/S type of build. As far as the rest of your build goes, wow, we could be here all day, lol! What are your goals?
    I want a slick sleeper type car. I want it to look stock overall but still be comfortable to take to the track too. I love the way his shifter set up looks. I would like it to be able to be a daily if I want it to be. The motor that I'm dropping in it is a mild 302 .30 over.

302 to me means carb 5.0 V8. Since your car wasn't born V8, it'll need a few ingredients that suit your application.

These days, your only options are to go the 87-93 AOD #81002 shifter if that's what you really want..

Order the shifter, and make a cut down modified plate to cover your shifter from an 87-93 AOD Ford.

This all means four things.

1. You then have to use a TV Cable.

Not a TV rod. The 87-93 shifter doesn't easily work together with the common 1980-1985 TV Rod.

2. You then need a Lokar low mount AOD cable TV kit.

TC-1000HT lokar throttle cable
    Lokar KD-2AOD HT
    Lokar SRK-4000
    Sonax TV cable corrector for Holley carbs AS4-04K

The EFI 1986 to 1993 cable is for a Port EFI engine, and won't work with a carb.

Here's the kit. http://www.hotrod.com/articles/insta...aod-cable-kit/

3. Be aware that Fords orginal plan was to have autos equiped with 2-bbl carbs or CFi. 4-bbl carb is not always the prefect solution. T Its okay if its manual, then you can fiddle with a vac secondary 4-bbl carb to your hearts content. But automatic, Ford stayed with the 2-bbl 2150/VV7200 and CFi systems for a long time because they make excellent off idle oomph, and can take big cams without restricting the top end. A 2-bbl 500 cfm is enough to make 350 hp. In this case, your forced to go 4-bbl becasue the 2-bbl carbs are "off road" only.

4. then use a 4bbl Peformer Edelbrock 3721 intake

(https://www.summitracing.com/int/par...3721/overview/)

with with Edelbrock's 4-BBL EGR/adapter plate
    http://www.jegs.com/i/Edelbrock/350/8053/10002/-1

5. Then use the 600cfm Holley 4-bbl with a Low Mount cable corrector.

https://www.holley.com/products/fuel.../parts/0-80451

#37-1536 carb kit

#622 primary jet

#39 secondary plate

#31 squirter

#125-208 2-stage PV (1st Stage Opening 10.5" Hg; 2nd Stage Opening 5.5" Hg.)

Same as Motorcraft CE130 Nominal 10.25”Hg/ 5.0”Hg.
    NAPA PN 2-4312 1st stage opens @ 10.5"Hg, 2nd stage @ 5.5"Hg 1st stage restr. .021
    Mike Carburettor Parts Has 70-27, 11"Hg, 2nd stage @ 6"Hg

http://www.sonnax.com/parts/2766-tv-...ey-carburetors.

Sonnax TV cable corrector kit AS4-04K corrects for an improperly placed TV cable mounting hole on Holley® carburators with aftermarket-style throttle arms. The kit can be used out of the box to precisely set cable travel in GM 4L60 (770-R4) and Ford AOD units, but also is easily adapted for use in Ford 200, 200C and 200-4R transmissions (see instructions for details). Use with Sonnax bracket AS6-01 for best results.
    The problem with the 4-bbl carb is that the float bowls are no longer serviced, and the emissions equipment is not well enough understood, the operation of vac secondaries isn't going to help your automatic in a street/strip situation. There are no better new carbs around for your situation.

Stock its set up rich, fat and does the right things.

Keep your EGR valve, and you 4cyl emission canister. Use a rebuild Duraspark II distributor.

For drag racing, the AOD needs a Sliver Fox valve body mod, and that gives you the option of a C4 downshift cable on some shift kit conversions.

The stock 3.08 7.5" automatic 2.3 gears are best replaced with a 3.73:1 or 4.10:1 8.8 axle.