Close

Default Eliminate Stupid Prop Rod

So, I've seen a few pics of Mark VIIs with their hoods open and I see they have these springs for holding the hood up, rather than hydraulic cylinder thingies.
    Name:  5835130002_large.jpg
Views: 445
Size:  106.5 KB

I've heard rumors about guys wanting to eliminate the prop rod on their non-Mustang cars and the Mustang kits have not worked out well. Has anyone tried these? I really hate my prop rod and would like other options. I have to imagine a Mark VII hood is probably heavier than a Zephyr hood.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Quote Originally Posted by mrriggs View Post
    Thanks, helpful stuff there, but it's missing some context which makes it hard to follow. But it sounds like it's the same idea.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Default Root Beer Float

Name:  DSCF4288.jpg
Views: 407
Size:  97.3 KBI used a strut kit from LMR for fox stangs. Worked very well. Just be sure to measure twice and drill once. '83 Fairmont Futura.Name:  DSCF4285 (2).jpg
Views: 402
Size:  148.2 KB
    Last edited by BigOh; 06-13-2017 at 06:18 PM. Reason: more info

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrEFI View Post
    Thanks, helpful stuff there, but it's missing some context which makes it hard to follow. But it sounds like it's the same idea.
    Yeah, it'd be nice if he had pictures to show the parts he's talking about.

The website is dedicated to the Fox-body LTD so it should be relevant to your Zephyr.

Yep, I use them on my rear drive Nissan.

Dang BigOh, you sure know how to contain an 87 horsepower X code 3.3. Usin' Gas!

Oh, and here it is upright, no stacking Zee's

Quote Originally Posted by BigOh View Post
    I used a strut kit from LMR for fox stangs. Worked very well. Just be sure to measure twice and drill once. '83 Fairmont Futura.
    Good to know, thanks! That might be the ticket then!

Mrriggs, sounds like the spring thing might be more complicated than i thought, having to track down a window spring and stuff. I don't know if i care to spend that much time/effort on this. haha
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Good to know, thanks! That might be the ticket then!
    I have the Fox Mustang Redline struts on my 86 Marquis and they work fine...the Marquis hoods are heavy and have a lot of weight on the nose due to the metal extension trim. Struts are more than strong enough.

Context is

a) Welcome, to my LTD-LX & FAIRLANE site!

b) Its all for "Spring Loaded Hood Hinges" from the LSC and Hash 7. Jo discusses the 1988 onwards hood hinge change. I think its 87 onwards.

There was a hood revision for all Coupe S shells, the LSC and XR7/ T birds that deathbypsi and Haystack noted.

Quote Originally Posted by deathbypsi View Post

Got the front end all together last night and made a strange discovery. Looks like the 87 hood is not a direct bolt on for a 83. only two of the four bolts going into the hood line up on the hinges. The rears are way off so I only have two bolts in for now while I wait for help to remove the hood again and do some mods to the hinges for the other bolts.

Otherwise real happy with how its coming together

Quote Originally Posted by Haystack View Post
    The 80-83 hood hinges are a different design from 84-88 hoods.

I've never delt with an 83 before personally though

Jo Peterson also talks about the differences ....According the the three 1984 Consumer Guide historians, the S shells are technically

all the later 104.2 in (2,647 mm) wheelbase 1983 Brave New Thunderbird/ Cougar XR7 based internals,
    the 108.5 in (2,756 mm) wheelbase 1984 modle year LSC and 1982 model year Mark VII (lovingly called the Hash 7 be me),
    and also the 105.5 in (2,680 mm) wheelbase 1983 LTD/Marquis which was a fairly extensive not just sheetmetal revision to the 1981 Fox Granada/Cougar platform.

The first S shells where actually birthed in the the Sterling plant built 108.5 in (2,756 mm) wheelbase 1980-1982 Thunderbird/ Cougar XR7.

Fords Fox program had an S suffix, but the whole long wheel base 104.2/105.5/108.4 evolution was a planned thing as the unibody only had to use the hard pickups to the K member, and the trans humb, cross member, track widths and wheelbases, 60 degree windshield angle, hood heights and out riggers were all shiftable. This was the reason the AOD gearbox wasn't rolled out into the short wheel base Foxes untill 1984, the Long Wheelbase 104.2/108.5 modifications weren't made for the 100.4 and 105.5 cars untill about 1982 or so. They then became capable of using other Big S-car parts.

This is same way they where when the McNamara Falcon XK 200 platform then got shotgun blasted its way into 20 other wheelbases and G""d knows how many turrent types in the 103 in (2616 Mm) to 121.0 inch (3074mm) Ford Falcon Maveric to Aussie P6 LTD wheelbase Ford draw hang and quarter car "rack". It wasn't Mopars K car rehash, or Toyota who divised the 1982 Camry Vista to 1996 Avalone draw hang and quarter...Ford had been flitching up unibodies to create littleees and Biggies lenthg and width wise since the Comete, Fairlane, Mustang, Mercury Cougar, MX, Maverick, Ranchero, Torino, Granada, Monarch,Versaillies and the weird has heck Oker/Strine/Antipodean Falcon Ute and LTD.

The hard dimensions on X shells were only the suspension layback and some parts of the toe board, just like the 39 year tenure of the 1960 to 1999 Falcon X chassis. S shells, the same. Hence the variations of the Fox platform. Same with the Fox 4 Mustangs A pillar to K member shift in 1994.

The S shell difference is the A pillar Turret, and the way in which the chasiss out riggers are profiled. (the ones that are welded up for subframe connectors)...the earlier 105.5 in (2,680 mm) and 100.4" wheel base cars are a little different. (Wikipedias 100.5 in [2,553 mm] reading for Fox Mustangs and Capris is wrong).

The 1984 Diesel BMW engine L code options in Lincoln Foxes even had an encapsulated engine bay NVH ramp, done by Keller in Switzeland who did the NVH work for Ford, and that is why you find counterweights on the axle and some gearboxes. To make it quiet...

Quote Originally Posted by http://home.earthlink.net/~jopeterson/prop_rod_is_history.htm
    The Prop Rod is History!

From the 82-87 Continental that provided you with those Super Sun Visors, now comes Spring Loaded Hood Hinges!

Super-Sleuth Binnie spotted these.

The LTD even has the extra holes needed for the spring arm mount already in the shock tower!

But only the 82 C is a close natural for the LTD! This is because it had a Aluminum hood & a lighter spring which is a closer weight match to our smaller Steel hood. But, it holds the hood open about 8" lower than stock!

But if one uses the shock tower bracket & hood hinge from a 82-87 C, along with shortened (3/4") spring arms from a Mark VII, & window crank springs from a 64 Fairlane (appears that many Fords in the 60's used the same spring) & the hood is fully open again. Be sure to get some extra Hinge Shoulder Bolts from another car to use where you shortened & drilled a new Pivot hole.

The 88 up LSC type used the same, too strong, spring as the 83-87 but the hinge is entirely different & unusable. But, by cutting a new slot to change the tension of the Lincoln spring, may be a way out if finding 60's window springs is too hard.

There will be interference with the Brake line on the Right side, which I rebent by hand. Also the Firewall's seam sticks out & may need to be bent a little.

Steve, with his own private "junk yard" & 5.0 HO EFI upgraded 84 LTD Station Wagon & 84 Olympic Police car, tells me that he has seen the Spring type hood hinges on the Fox 83-86 Mercury Marquis! So it's back to the "yards" for more searching again! But it appears they are rare & would require the right side brake line to be reshaped for clearance. Maybe a Canadian car? Anyone having any info on this, please let me know!

Also, have found a hood hinge on a 75 Granada, but it will not work on the LTD. It's hood hinge is the same as the LTD's, but the separate spring arms/brackets will not (?) fit as the Shock Tower is different. The spring appears to be lighter & it's slotted mounting post is smaller.

I now own an 83 and can show the differences. Weird seeing my name quoted like that.

The 84-86 tbirds had no spring but hinges seem to be identicle otherwise to the mark7. The 87-88 Cougar birds all had a spring and no prop rod.

I personally prefer the prop rod.
    2 1986 cougars (both 4 eyed and 5.0)
    1 1987 cougar

That's because you are a Youtube sensation with your jumping 5.0 Fox engine and your two pullin the EEC codes video.

Its only right you should be quoted!

The amount of stuff you've helped people with has been immense.

Here as well http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...49#post1852449

I had the hydraulic hood struts on my Zephyr, but they ended up hitting the camber plates with the hood all the way shut. Still trying to figure out a different solution.

Quote Originally Posted by BlownMerc View Post
    I had the hydraulic hood struts on my Zephyr, but they ended up hitting the camber plates with the hood all the way shut. Still trying to figure out a different solution.
    Good to know, since I have c/c plates too. Do you know which strut kit you have?
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Good to know, since I have c/c plates too. Do you know which strut kit you have?
    I am running the no drill kit from MRT. I have Maximum Motorsports c/c plates.

FEP Senior Member

Looks like the MRT kit might take up some more real estate than the Redline kit? Hard to tell if the strut rod actually rests in the same place for both kits though.

https://www.shopmrt.com/Fox-Mustang-...s-p/80c000.htm
    http://www.redlinetuning.com/product-p/21-11012-01.htm

FEP Power Member

LMR has there SVE branded kit for a lot less than the MRT kit, looks to be identical.
    https://lmr.com/products/Mustang-Hood-Struts-79-93
    '86 GT - weekend driver
    '86 Capri 5.0
    '86 Turbo Coupe
    '17 Mustang GT
    '23 BRONCO