Close

Default Where to set timing?

Just replaced intake gaskets on my trick flow top end. Wondering where to set timing? I've seen they recommend 10 degrees, but I've seen quiet a few people running 12-14. Any input?

Thanks

Mod list
    86 SBE
    Trick flow top end with stage 1 cam
    Full egr delete
    mass air conversion
    bbk cold air
    70mm throttlebody
    24# injectors
    headers

8-10 degrees is generally a good place to start. Every engine can vary depending on modifications, tuning, etc.

Many will tell you to set your ignition timing at the point you get the highest vacuum reading at your idle set point (600-800 RPM on average).

Bottom line is you will have to see what you engine likes and what it needs. You may be able to set it at 12-14 or maybe even more, then again it may cause hot start issues if you start getting above 14 degrees. Every engine is different. Just remember to remove the PIP from the distributor when setting the timing and then replace to verify how the engine runs with the new setting. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Timing = power. I like no less than 14. Stock is 10. I will bump mine up until it starts to barely ping under a heavy load, then back it off one degree. Unless I'm dyno tuning, I'll leave it on 10, and they can add all the timing in the tune.
    1986 CHP SSP Coupe