Close

Default What do you think of these Ford Motorsport Headers

So I got these headers from a 1985 GT a few years back. I have two 85's that I am looking to put headers on. Car one is a decent 85 coupe with a stock engine that I may at some point put a cam, carb maybe heads on. Has stock headers but already converted to dual exhaust. Was going to buy new headers for this car and use the Ford headers for car two. Car two also have a stock engine and although it may get rebuilt at some point it would be a stock rebuild. Not even sure if I am keeping this car long term. It still has a stock exhaust setup. But I have a flowmaster cat back for it. I am rethinking things and maybe I should use these on car one and buy some generic headers for car two. Just wondering what people think about these compared to some of the newer brand name shorty headers. Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by Ford 5.0; 06-11-2017 at 03:14 PM.

I'd say they're as good as any new shorty style header.
    1985 Mustang GT conv. modified 4180C, Weiand Street Warrior intake, equal length headers, true dual exhaust, 3.55:1 8.8'' rear end, 2003 V6 T5, Ford Racing 10.5" clutch.

1998 Mustang GT auto. PI swapped. Daily beater

I think I am going to have them ceramic coated and use them. Thanks

Those are stainless steel so the ceramic coat would only be for appearance not longevity. I ran those on my 93 Cobra because they age just like the factory headers so you dont notice them like a set of ceramic or chrome ones. As for power, there isnt much power to be had from shorty headers, I think it is somewhere around 7 hp. For seat of the pants improvement your best bet is a set of gears. 3.55's are great with a mostly stock engine and 3.73s are my favorite with any type of power adders.

Mike
    1982 GT 351W, retro hyd roller, ported Pro Comp heads, Tremec, M2300K brake kit, Recaros...needs paint!
    1984 LX 5.0 Vert *SOLD*
    1993 Cobra #3971 mostly stock *SOLD*
    1966 FFR Cobra replica 383W, Vic Jr heads, Vortech YS, TFS Box intake, 652rwhp, crazy fast!
    1987 GT in MM&FF May of 97 "Not Fade Away" white and purple. Sold 1999

Shorty headers are a great mod. Unless you want to spend hours grinding open and welding up the stock headers they are an easy path to make other upgrades work well. You will gain more with both induction and exhaust upgrades. And also of course a 1.7:1 rocker arm set or a better cam.

I run a 70MM MAF and 65MM TB and Typhoon EFI with E6 heads and a mild SD friendly cam from the late 80's on my 86GT. It's extremely high miles and tired but it pulls past 6100 so it often gets shifted right where it stays off the rev limiter during full power shifts. I highly doubt it would run like that without better headers as seat of the pants showed plenty of gain with just the TB and such before the intake swap. I know it had way more than 7 HP gain when I added the Typhoon. Made it one hell of a lot more fun to drive. Pulls like a freight train from 4000 right past 6K which is great combined with a T5Z and a light flywheel.

I would love to have a set exactly like those for my Saleen build. It's going to get Edelbrock heads and AirGap and a lumpy comp cam. Should be a bad bitch.

Those headers look good to me. Imho, other than the looks of a coated header, imho, those FRPP headers are as good as any of the other shorty headers.

The coated headers are better, since they keep more heat in the exhaust. That means faster exhaust air speeds, which means more "vacuum effect" when the exhaust valve is open and the gasses are going into the header. That's why bigger headers, or no headers, don't mean more HP (for a non race engine).

So I decided to not get these ceramic coated. I found another pair of the same headers on CL that are ceramic coated for a great price. So I am using the ceramic ones on my 85 that I plan on doing some power adders to(heads, intake, etc) and use the ones pictured here for my stock engine SSP. Both cars are 5 spd and one has 3.55's and the other 3.73's.
    Last edited by Ford 5.0; 12-17-2017 at 03:41 PM.

They're some of the best shorties, and guaranteed to clear a spark plug on a GT40P head too..
    1986 CHP SSP Coupe