Close

Default '86 SVO with SN95 control arms and SVO sway bar.

I am replacing my lower control arms with sn95 lowers because of two bad ball joints on my factory SVO arms. Is anyone who is running sn95 arms on an SVO running the factory SVO sway bar? Maximum motorsport is saying the sway bar mounting hole on the SN95is further onboard, and will reduce effectiveness by 8 percent. They do not mention fitment issues, but I do believe the SVO bar is wider. If anyone can let me know if it will fit, it will be much appreciated.
    Have
    '84 GT
    '86 SVO 2R
    '02 GT

The SVO bar will fit the SN95 control arms, but the end links will be at a slight angle rather than being perpendicular (@ 90 degrees) to the control arms. That is why the effectiveness is reduced by 8%.

You might need to modify/replace the end links to get the best fitment depending on your ride height, etc. But otherwise you shouldn't have any issues.

Just make sure you are not reusing the stock SVO springs with the SN95 arms as the length of the springs will be too long. You will need to trim them otherwise replace them with a standard length Fox spring. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

FEP Super Member

How much different is the Sn bar in length compared to the fox or SVO ?
    clowns to the left of me , Jokers to the right

Ok thank you for the info. I have new prothane sway bar end links since the ones on my car were toast. I also have v8 fox H&R sport springs, so I should be okay in that case. I Read a lot about guys swapping to sn95 arms, but not much on using the SVO sway bar,which I believe is wider and bigger in diameter than the v8 bars.
    Have
    '84 GT
    '86 SVO 2R
    '02 GT

I'm going thru the same thing right now. I used the MM sway bar relocation kit. It actually raises the bar up closer to the frame rails but moves the bar forward toward the core support. If I try to set the bar parallel with the ground my potential sway bar end links end up needing to be 8" to get the eyelit of the sway bar to line up with the hole in the control arm. If I let it drop then it looks like I'll have a pretty steep angle between the 2 holes if I'm trying to use a stock SN sway link. Also I'm finding that at full turns the inside of my tires are hitting the sway bar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 80fairmont View Post
    I'm going thru the same thing right now. I used the MM sway bar relocation kit. It actually raises the bar up closer to the frame rails but moves the bar forward toward the core support. If I try to set the bar parallel with the ground my potential sway bar end links end up needing to be 8" to get the eyelit of the sway bar to line up with the hole in the control arm. If I let it drop then it looks like I'll have a pretty steep angle between the 2 holes if I'm trying to use a stock SN sway link. Also I'm finding that at full turns the inside of my tires are hitting the sway bar.

Have you tried the sn95 arms, with the SVO sway bar, stock sway bar mounts, and links? Or have you only tried it with the MM sway bar relocation kit?
    Have
    '84 GT
    '86 SVO 2R
    '02 GT

FEP Super Member

The rubbing of the tire , on the swaybar , is the least of my worries at this point .
    When using the 94-5 spindles , my tires bairly touched the bar , just enought to wear the paint.
    I just dont want to loose that 8% effectiveness of the sway bar.
    Sorry if i jacked the thread .
    I figured that since so many of us do the swap , others may know something they can share .
    clowns to the left of me , Jokers to the right

Quote Originally Posted by 80fairmont View Post

Just received this from MM, I will share for future people with the same question as I had.

"With that list of parts, you must also purchase an MMFSB-50 kit and install it backwards to move the swaybar rearwards. This puts
    the endlink in a close to vertical orientation. Because the SVO uses a unique front swaybar, it isn't possible to make the alignment
    perfect. This will move the swaybar rearward either 0.6" or 1.1". 1.1" will give the most vertical endlink alignment. You should
    look at your car to see if there is 1.1" of clearance between the end of the swaybar and the strut housings. If the car had SN95
    spindles installed on it, there definitely would be enough clearance here."
    Have
    '84 GT
    '86 SVO 2R
    '02 GT

In post #8 above, it should say to use the stock swaybar mounting brackets if using the stock SVO front swaybar. If installing any other Fox front swaybar on the car, you will need to use an MMFSB-51 kit and the matching universal bushings for it.
    Last edited by Jack Hidley; 04-30-2022 at 05:18 PM.
    Jack Hidley
    Maximum Motorsports Tech Support