Close

Default What's different about the I6 and Mod-motor K-members?

I plan to drop a 460 in my '84 LTD LX and want it to fit under the stock hood. I've heard that the k-members from straight-six cars as well as the later Mod-motor Mustangs have more oil pan clearance. How much different are they? I know the Mod-motor K's have the rack mounted lower (which is good for clearance) but is the A-arm pivot center-to-center different? I don't want to widen the track width. The motor mount differences don't matter since I will need to make new motor mounts anyway.

I'm sure I'll still end up spacing the K down from the body but hopefully not as far as I'd have to do with the stock K-member.

They make 460 swap kits. Just in case you didn't know that.

Yeah, I'm not really a kit kind of guy. Besides, there isn't much in the kit that I could use. The plan is to build a phantom "bone stock" 460 car using almost all Ford parts. Basically just take a complete running 4-barrel 4-speed 460 from an '83-86 Truck, bolt up a TKO trans, make some motor mounts then drop it in. From what I've gathered, the truck oil pan and exhaust manifolds fit in the Fox and the whole mess will fit under the stock hood if you drop the K-member down a couple inches. I was hoping there was another K-member that would allow the motor to sit low enough that it wouldn't require such tall K-member spacers.

I've seen dry sump oiling systems get used to allow a lower mounting point for the 460. It fit under a stock 86 TBird hood. Oil tank went in the trunk.

I'm running a k-member from a 96 Mustang in my 81 BM. While I don't have a 460 I am running a 400 and the truck guys swap those out for 460s all the time. The 400 fit under the stock hood. I did some mods to the k-member but, it wasn't too bad.
    Dave

If common sense was common wouldn't it just be sense?

1983 Capri L T top 5.0 efi aod
    1983 Capri RS Turbo
    1981 Black Magic 400 c6
    93 F-250 351 5sp 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by mustangxtreme View Post
    I'm running a k-member from a 96 Mustang in my 81 BM. While I don't have a 460 I am running a 400 and the truck guys swap those out for 460s all the time. The 400 fit under the stock hood. I did some mods to the k-member but, it wasn't too bad.
    Very cool! The deck height of the 400 is basically the same as the 460 so hood clearance should be similar. What all did you modify on the K-member?

The aft 4 holes need to be slotted and some of the mount tabs shortened. I also drilled new holes for the motor mount studs to sit in but, my goal was to sit the engine as far back in the engine compartment as well as as low as I could. To help me sit the engine lower, I made my own oil pan. Here is my build thread.
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...81+black+magic
    Dave

1983 Capri RS Turbo
    1981 Black Magic 400 c6
    93 F-250 351 5sp 4x4

The aft 4 holes need to be slotted and some of the mount tabs shortened. I also drilled new holes for the motor mount studs to sit in but, my goal was to sit the engine as far back in the engine compartment as well as as low as I could. To help me sit the engine lower, I made my own oil pan. Here is my build thread.
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...81+black+magic
    Dave

1983 Capri RS Turbo
    1981 Black Magic 400 c6
    93 F-250 351 5sp 4x4

Nicely done. Thanks for sharing.

460...... for when 400 is just 60 too few.

There's no replacement for displacement.

True when all things are equal but... you get about 175 lbs more weight to go with it.
    Dave

1983 Capri RS Turbo
    1981 Black Magic 400 c6
    93 F-250 351 5sp 4x4