Close

Thread: tire sizes?

Default tire sizes?

can i fit an 11" tire on my 86 hatchback?

Quote Originally Posted by Zackstallone86 View Post
    can i fit an 11" tire on my 86 hatchback?
    Yes and No! 11" will not fit easily under the rear of a Four Eye or any Fox without a BFH to the inner wheel wells and rolling the lips on the quarter. Also I don't think you will be able to actually fit all 11" under the car. Generally a 10" will just squeeze in and you can run a 305 on that if that floats your boat.

Here are 10.5" wheels with 335 tires on the back of my Road Racer. The offset is too much to fit under the body, but I could easily move the combo inboard @ 1" and be OK, but I will still stick out by .5" or more. This car will be running flared fenders and quarters once I get done, so the setup works just fine for me.

Name:  IMG_4278.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  88.9 KB

Name:  IMG_4279.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  73.7 KB

I believe you stated in another post that you don't have Daddy's $$ to play with and you are paying for this on your own 16 yr old income. If this is to be a daily driver/everyday car, then let me recommend you install a set of 17X9 wheels on all 4 corners with the same offset. Run a 245/45/17 on all 4 corners so you can rotate and get the maximum mileage from your combo. That will free up additional money to fix, replace, upgrade other parts and pieces as you drive the vehicle.

Running a staggered look is cool and great, but you will spend more money on wheels and tires up front and in the long run due to not being able to rotate the tires. If you have the $$ to blow then go for it, otherwise . . . Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

thanks for the input!!

+1 trey - I totally agree!

A 255/40/17 also fits on a fox but the speedometer reads a little higher than you are going. Great for avoiding tickets....

The least expensive factory 17" for the SN95 also happens to be the lightest. Less unsprung weight always equals more opportunity for performance. 17x8 tribar is great for budget builds. You should be able to buy a full set used with good rubber on it for around $200 if you watch craigslist.

2.0L ranger rotors will get your four eyed fox frontend to 5 lug. I suggest spacers as the rims clear the struts but the wheel weights do not.
    Last edited by erratic50; 06-08-2017 at 02:55 AM.