Close

Default What are the real differences in the dual snorkel air cleaners?

OK, I know the dual snorkel was used '82-'85, both 4v and CFI. I know each was slightly different. My question is; what is really different from one to another?

I know some are different heights, etc., but which is correct for which application?
    Jim DeAngelis
    Cornucopia of Useless Knowledge
    Connoisseur of Dearborn Ferrous Oxide
    '83 GT hatch, currently under the knife
    '79 Capri 2.3L n/a, Medium Copper metallic, survivor
    (bought from MRausch82)

I know that the similar style was used in 83, 83 & 85. Obviously the decal changed from year to year but I don't know about specific different heights. I have a 83 & 84 to compare but not a 85 air cleaner. Are you specifically looking for a 83 air cleaner? (this is not an offer to buy, sell or trade- just a question. That would be addressed in a PM)
    MCA #110307
    "Saved" 25k mi 83 GT - http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...ght=Wrecked+GT
    83 GT T Top
    83 GT Convt
    84 20th Anniversary T Top GT350 SOLD 11/17
    84 GT Convt SOLD 08/18

FEP Senior Member

Is the opening in the bottom for the CFI unit different from the carb'd version? I had a dual snorkel Mustang air cleaner on my Crown Vic with a 4160 and it never fit the carburetor very well at all. When I bought it I thought it was a carbureted version, but after fitting it I wondered it if was from a CFI car. The decals were long gone from the unit by the time I got it.

I believe the cfi air cleaner base has a wider hole in it

The 82 filter housing is smaller and takes a different filter element than the later 83 and up 4 barrel units.
    HAD
    '82 GT monochromatic (red)...black cloth

HAVE
    '85 GT vert two tone (white on charcoal)...white leather
    '00 F350 two tone (white on silver)...gray cloth
    '00 Excursion Limited two tone (white on tan)...tan leather...wifes ride
    '08 Taurus Limited ice blue...tan leather...daughter ride
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride

Quote Originally Posted by 83GTJIM View Post
    I know that the similar style was used in 83, 83 & 85. Obviously the decal changed from year to year but I don't know about specific different heights. I have a 83 & 84 to compare but not a 85 air cleaner. Are you specifically looking for a 83 air cleaner? (this is not an offer to buy, sell or trade- just a question. That would be addressed in a PM)
    No, not looking for one. Just curious what the changes were. While at Carlisle, I ran across at least half a dozen different units, some were subtly different from the others. Just thought this might be a good topic for discussion.

I did score a carbed base with an EFI lid for cheap, because the seller wasn't sure what it was. I know it's not an '82, but not sure other than that.
    Jim DeAngelis
    Cornucopia of Useless Knowledge
    Connoisseur of Dearborn Ferrous Oxide
    '83 GT hatch, currently under the knife
    '79 Capri 2.3L n/a, Medium Copper metallic, survivor
    (bought from MRausch82)

Externally, Diameter, 82 5.0 GT's and RS's use 15" DS (Dual Snorkle)

Unless you wanted an 82 GT or RS automatic.... then you got automatically downgraded to a single snorkle 4.2

"http://www.systemv.us/FordV8History/A_Breif_History_of_Ford_V8s/Small_Block_files/1982-ford-mustang-GT-302-HO-engine.jpg"

Breif or Litre...great non American English...I feel right at home...

The 83/84/85 all 17". 79-88 4V Carb low GVW F trucks and E vans (7.5/7.0/5.8/5.0 which weren't 6.1 Liter F600's and 700'S were normally single or dual snorkle, 17" as well.

Again, a downgrade to single snorkle if you wanted air con on your 4V 5.8 truck.

82's use the ages old small 15" diameter Ford V8 base, and have size reduction on the 83/84/85's which is great for 9.5" deck Windsors and 9.2" deck Cleveland Fox conversions..the big 17" tends to get too close to the firewall on them. Transplanted 400's, 351M's and 429/460's they just clear with it in Foxes, but then you have hood height issues.

Quote Originally Posted by sowaxeman View Post
    Another vote for the DS....love it! This is a simple upgrade, still available today on ebay....aftermarket chrome lid used by Saleen in '85, and put the 5.0 HO 4V sticker on it:

Here are some more stockers to wet your appetite...my '82, '83 and '85 respectively:

Internally the 82 pressing is 2bbl, so Big Friendly Hammer time needed to clear a Holley 4bbl front and back float bowl.

the 4V HO 83/84/85 17", Dual snorkle Truck 460/5.8/5.0 4V and CFi 84/85 17" all look the same externally, but there are flange differences for the CFi and sensor color differences for the Truck.

Details here:-

The twin snorkle 460/5.8/5.0 Truck / CFI/4BBL 4V 83-85 3" dual snokle air cleaner flows 535 cfm at the operating pressure drop.

17" external diameter common to all

It has an internal filter 13 inch element, up 1 inch on the 15" external 82 2V GT's dual inlet housing.

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...02#post1757502

Every M code CFI air cleaner uses the 5-3/8" 2-bbl CFi flange tangs and as JACook and others have observed, a 1/4" bigger base diameter than the 4V, so it won't fit any 4150/4160 or 4180c properly with out work.

Every M code 4V HO has the Ford's smaller version of the 5-1/8" Holley 2 and 4bbl upper carb flange, but with a tight twin metal tang.

Every HO CFI and probably passenger M code 4V HO I've seen has

1. the Green and

2. Purple color "TVS" stamped vac hookups, and

3. one steel vac hookup.

Ford calls the first two A/CL CWM: Air Cleaner Cold Weather Modulators.

The third, 3 A/CL BI MET: Air Cleaner Bi-Metallic Valve. Each are color coded depending on application, blue, red, and no third color usually. Some have a third color, often yellow or black.

The Purple runs to the A/CL DV: Air Cleaner Duct & Valve and TAB and TAD solenoids on the CFi, and on the passenger 4bbl 5.0 HO, the same second CWM is for the air pump system, for models that don't have TAB and TAD solenoids.

This 1983 4V carby 5.0 HO air cleaner from 79mustang shows the same fadded Purple TVS.

4bbl Truck's at and from 1979 have sometimes one Green and always one White valve stamped TVS, still called by Ford A/CL CWM: Air Cleaner Cold Weather Modulators , and lots of little 4180C/ 4190EG related changes.

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...el-air-cleaner
    Last edited by xctasy; 06-08-2017 at 05:50 PM. Reason: The 15 and 17" external diameter air cleaners have 12 and 13" internal OD filters. Sorry for the missinformation

Air cleaner is K&N E1570 is actually 13"

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis View Post
    Motorcraft specs of the filter you bought:

Part Number: FA-612R
    Type: 67
    Inside: 11.200
    Outside: 13.000
    Height: 2.795

There is another one with the same outside and inside diameter but about a third of an inch shorter:

Part Number: FA-613R
    Type: 67
    Inside: 11.200
    Outside: 13.000
    Height: 2.495

Quote Originally Posted by JACook View Post
    The big hole is 1/4" larger on the CFI air cleaner, 5-1/8" vs 5-3/8". It's just enough larger
    that it won't sit properly on the gasket. The locating tabs in the big hole are also in different
    places.
    Carb air cleaner tangs

the Purple TVS sensor isn't found on 4180/4190 4-BBL F Trucks, they are all White usually.

Note
    Quote Originally Posted by JACook View Post
    Another interesting side note, many of the truck versions of 4180C have a means to dump the power valve
    chamber to the air cleaner base at WOT, for this same reason.

I'm sure you know the Purple and White rating differences from a FoMoCo EVTM, but it's not listed anywhere commonly.

Ford swapped from the 4350 Motorcraft 4bbl to the new 4180 or 4190 for 1979, and that was the first 460 4V HO air cleaner. Then the truck 460 got canned for a few years. If your 5.8 HO truck had A/C, you apparently lost the extra snorkle....

The 82 GT and RS was another 2-bbl HO aircleaner from some other truck or maybee Panther G code 5.8 HO engine.

This is a rehash of RickFury's 1985 CFi model code air cleaner.

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...ck-Air-Cleaner

I thought it might be E3ZE 9600-CA with BC sufix,

But its an E5ZE 9600-CA with BC sufix as it has the CFi location tangs.

Anyway, it has both the green sensor and A/CL Bi Met only. The third is missing.

Its got CFi tangs

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...-vacuum-motors

The green sensor which is called a CWM (cold weather modulator).

The purple sensor was for two emissions hoses.

The 4V E3ZE 9600 TB 3CD that 83GTJIM posted has the Purple TVS attached,

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...ons-components

http://i1249.photobucket.com/albums/...psaixtzh8h.jpg

both the same basic 4V M code manual air cleaner. Carb tangs have been bent up some.

83 V8 RS T's relates in post 02-15-2008, 11:45 AM #12 http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...815#post589815

One routes TAB/TAD soleniod located on firewall (passenger side) just beside air cleaner.

Other travels to the passenger side strut tower, and then turns towards engine and mounts on to the Thermactor diverter valve.

The 83/84/85 carb 4V ones have a tang at the back in the carb to air cleaner mounting annular area.

And lastly, the never really loved 5.0 HO CFi, from 4eyed4life

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...of-85-LTD-LX-s

Everything else Central Fuel Injected except the HO 5.0 Lincoln and Mustang/ Capri auto 84-85 5.0 got the Mr PunnyVerse 15"

air cleaner.

Quote Originally Posted by xctasy View Post
    Externally, Diameter, 82 5.0 GT's and RS's use 15" DS (Dual Snorkle)

Unless you wanted an 82 GT or RS automatic.... then you got automatically downgraded to a single snorkle 4.2

"http://www.systemv.us/FordV8History/A_Breif_History_of_Ford_V8s/Small_Block_files/1982-ford-mustang-GT-302-HO-engine.jpg"

Breif or Litre...great non American English...I feel right at home...

The 83/84/85 all 17". 79-88 4V Carb low GVW F trucks and E vans (7.5/7.0/5.8/5.0 which weren't 6.1 Liter F600's and 700'S were normally single or dual snorkle, 17" as well.

Again, a downgrade to single snorkle if you wanted air con on your 4V 5.8 truck.

82's use the ages old small 15" diameter Ford V8 base, and have size reduction on the 83/84/85's which is great for 9.5" deck Windsors and 9.2" deck Cleveland Fox conversions..the big 17" tends to get too close to the firewall on them. Transplanted 400's, 351M's and 429/460's they just clear with it in Foxes, but then you have hood height issues.

Internally the 82 pressing is 2bbl, so Big Friendly Hammer time needed to clear a Holley 4bbl front and back float bowl.

the 4V HO 83/84/85 17", Dual snorkle Truck 460/5.8/5.0 4V and CFi 84/85 17" all look the same externally, but there are flange differences for the CFi and sensor color differences for the Truck.

Details here:-

The twin snorkle 460/5.8/5.0 Truck / CFI/4BBL 4V 83-85 3" dual snokle air cleaner flows 535 cfm at the operating pressure drop.

17" external diameter common to all

It has an internal filter 13 inch element, up 1 inch on the 15" external 82 2V GT's dual inlet housing.

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...02#post1757502

Every M code CFI air cleaner uses the 5-3/8" 2-bbl CFi flange tangs and as JACook and others have observed, a 1/4" bigger base diameter than the 4V, so it won't fit any 4150/4160 or 4180c properly with out work.

Every M code 4V HO has the Ford's smaller version of the 5-1/8" Holley 2 and 4bbl upper carb flange, but with a tight twin metal tang.

Every HO CFI and probably passenger M code 4V HO I've seen has

1. the Green and

2. Purple color "TVS" stamped vac hookups, and

3. one steel vac hookup.

Ford calls the first two A/CL CWM: Air Cleaner Cold Weather Modulators.

The third, 3 A/CL BI MET: Air Cleaner Bi-Metallic Valve. Each are color coded depending on application, blue, red, and no third color usually. Some have a third color, often yellow or black.

The Purple runs to the A/CL DV: Air Cleaner Duct & Valve and TAB and TAD solenoids on the CFi, and on the passenger 4bbl 5.0 HO, the same second CWM is for the air pump system, for models that don't have TAB and TAD solenoids.

This 1983 4V carby 5.0 HO air cleaner from 79mustang shows the same fadded Purple TVS.

4bbl Truck's at and from 1979 have sometimes one Green and always one White valve stamped TVS, still called by Ford A/CL CWM: Air Cleaner Cold Weather Modulators , and lots of little 4180C/ 4190EG related changes.

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...el-air-cleaner
    I know this is an old thread, but I was wondering if anyone knows if the wire and cloth snorkle tubes are available anywhere? Not the molded plastic accordion ones. I'm doing a little custom snorkle work and need them longer.

A generic tube would work as long as it could be made to mate to the rectangular end on the air cleaner and the round hole at the fender.
    1985 GT, Sunroof, 5 Lug, Rear Discs, 01 Graphite Bullets, 88 forged piston shortblock, 2.02/1.60 Alum heads, Weiand Stealth, Holley C950 TBI, BBK Long tubes