Close

Default Who Out There Has Interest or Knowledge In Prerunner Style Trucks?

I'm at a bit of a crossroads.

I love my GT and don't see myself getting rid of it, but I think it might be getting close to time to pursue a build that I have always wanted to do. That would be to build a Prerunner style truck. I bring this to the group, simply because we have a great group of guys that I know have knowledge outside of the Foxes and I trust your advice/opinions.

This started when a guy at work and I were talking about his new Jeep that he bought, and I told him that I had always wanted to do a Ranger Prerunner. He chuckled and asked me what years I was considering. I told him I always wanted to do a 93-97, extended cab, 2wd truck. He told me......You're in luck. He has a 97, 2wd, 4cyl/5 spd, extended cab, stepside with no rust and mechanical issues that he is thinking about selling now that he has the Jeep. Jokingly I asked him how much he wanted for it and he told me $600. I know for a fact that the truck is clean and mechanically sound as he just made a 2000 mile trip with a motorcycle and trailer and had no issues.

I guess before I make any real decisions, I am curious about a few things.

Has anyone increased the track width and also raised a 2wd beam truck and if so, how did it handle and perform on the street. Ultimately I can lift it, but I want to increase the width to give it that racer look.

The 4 cyl will have to go. Has anyone swapped a v-8 or large 6 in one of these things? How big of a pain is a conversion?

Anything special I should consider in regards to a build? I would like to keep it as street friendly as possible since there are very few sand dunes in Nebraska to go jump.

This is not a hurry up and build type thing. It will more than likely be a multi-year build, if I choose to, as the car will need to be finished first and then I will need to start saving for the truck build as I'm sure it could get out of hand quick.

What I really want to end up with:
    Name:  fwx_03_rangerf1_1piece_031.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  92.2 KB

What I don't want to end up with:
    Name:  2127626d1455142045-my-ttb-4wd-pre-runner-fb_img_1454787574271_1455142045343.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  76.7 KB

Obviously due to cost, I'm sure I would have to settle for something in the middle.
    Brock
    1984 Mustang LX Convertible 3.8L V-6/Auto (SOLD)
    1984 Mustang GT Hatchback 5.0 V-8/5 Speed

I'm an FEP Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

V-8 swaps can be done, a few places make header kits for em. Lots of guys build their own. The explorer also used the ranger chassis, so lots of oem drag and drop parts.

My buddies got this little 2.4 toyota, been an okay truck, but 5th gear is useless unless its down hill. I always joked with him by saying i was gonna get my own version. Used to print off pictures of the bigfoot aerostar and leave then in his locker at school.
    2 1986 cougars (both 4 eyed and 5.0)
    1 1987 cougar

Several parts from the Explorer bin are basically bolt in for that project as mentioned above.

OOOOOOOOPPPPS!

Name:  0624171742.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  151.8 KB

Mama is less than thrilled, but I couldn't resist this one. It's not 100% what I wanted, but the deal was too good to pass up.

It's a 94 Ext. Cab 4x4 with the 4.0 v-6 and 5 speed manual. It's not the prettiest thing as it does have some rust and dings but overall it is in decent shape and runs like a top. Whoever owned it before me did their best to take care of it and it shows mechanically. Hell...they even went through and replaced everything (hoses, compressor, etc.) in the A/C system and it blows ices cold.

I didn't necessarily want a 4x4 to do this with due to the extra associated costs, but the timing and price was right.
    Brock

Looks like a good start! I've been known to bring home a vehicle or two without consulting "the boss" too...

Quote Originally Posted by NY5speed View Post
    Looks like a good start! I've been known to bring home a vehicle or two without consulting "the boss" too...
    Thanks!

I should have done a better job of talking through it with her but it wasn't a total "SURPRISE" moment. The thing that had her upset the most is that I sold my D.D., which was paid for, while there was still major equity in it. I got well over trade in value and more than blue book for the truck I sold and it had extremely high mileage, was beginning to develop major valve train noise, especially during start up, and rust was beginning to consume the rockers. The running boards already fell off due to rust. The longer I waited, the lower the value was going to go.

Even for me it was a bit of a shock afterwards going from a nice 2011 full size truck to a 94 compact pickup. This will be the interim D.D. for now and I'm ok with that.
    Brock

Welcome to the small side! I have a Silverado but my Dd has been an s10 for 15 yrs only to replace it with a Colorado since the s10was "too ugly to park in front of our house ". I v8'd an s10 back in the day, from carb v6 to f.i. v8 and it went in like it belonged (stupid gm). Theres a ton of v8 and extended travel stuff for these trucks

Quote Originally Posted by 2nd chance cobra View Post
    Welcome to the small side! I have a Silverado but my Dd has been an s10 for 15 yrs only to replace it with a Colorado since the s10was "too ugly to park in front of our house ". I v8'd an s10 back in the day, from carb v6 to f.i. v8 and it went in like it belonged (stupid gm). Theres a ton of v8 and extended travel stuff for these trucks
    LOL....I heard something along that line also. In fact, she named the truck for me. It's name is officially Ugly.

I'm really considering a V-8 swap for this truck in the future but for now, since the little 4.0 runs good, I'm going to fix what it needs and upgrade the suspension first. I really dunno why I want to do this, but something about this style of truck makes me happy.

Guess it is sort of my mid-life crisis kicking in.....since I'm over the hill according to the male genetics in my family. Turning 38 next month and to date no male family member has lived to see 70 yet.
    Brock

Jeep wagoneer front axles are a great fix for your ifs. And they come with the diff on either side to match your application. Just watch it for the oddball center disconnect. If you look at the diff cover it's obvious, it has cables actuators and vac lines hanging out of it. There's a v8 exploder just around the corner from me for sale, they can be had pretty cheap (although my neighbor doesn't know that yet)
    Last edited by 2nd chance cobra; 06-26-2017 at 12:07 PM.

YAY! Midwest rust! Not sure how I missed this area.....but I did.

Name:  0628170901.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  90.3 KB

Its the radiator support to frame mount and seems to be a very common area to rot out on these trucks. Looks like a trip to the J/Y with a drill and spot weld cutter is in my near future. At least so far the rest of the truck seems fairly solid.
    Brock

I've given up on the spot weld cutters, a hand full of 1/8" and 1/4" bits work better. My next project is gonna be my 70 scout. So I love your 4x4 turn. It gets waggy axles, a gm 4.3 and 5 speed.

This truck has reminded me of how much things have changed with electronics.

I had to break out a manual and refresh my memory on how to pull OBD1 codes. After numerous attempts to stay focused and count the flash sequences....flash, flash, hey look a squirrel!......dang it I lost track.
    I gave up and went to Vatozone and got an Innova OBD1 Ford code reader. Problem solved with the code reading, both KOEO and KOER.
    Brock

Buy an old @ss truck and shoot for your hopes and dreams.....it will be fun they said!

My wife might be onto something with the phrase she spoke containing "You are an IDIOT"!

Yes friends......I might be an idiot.

What started off as a supposed "simple" ball joint change has turned into a full blown rebuild. Ball joints, tie rods, radius arm bushings, seals, wheel bearings, front brakes and every single u joint in the front axles need to be changed. I might as well do the front axle shaft mods while I'm changing the u joints that way I can gain some clearance later for the upgrades.

While I'm at it, I might as well go ahead and change the rear leaf spring bushings and shackles.
    Brock

Solid axle swap... Oh and I've heard the idiot adjective thrown around more than once in my house. She doesn't understand I have feelings too

Quote Originally Posted by 2nd chance cobra View Post
    Solid axle swap... Oh and I've heard the idiot adjective thrown around more than once in my house. She doesn't understand I have feelings too
    I sometimes deserve it. But in the grand scheme of things, that she can't visualize, this is gonna be one fun and reliable "budget" beater. Hell....I'm only in it for $1,800 total (including price of truck) so far and it's almost done mechanically........for the time being.

Being able to do all the work on this truck has saved an @ssload of money and that's what I try to reason with her about. If I was not mechanically inclined and able to do this work, then this truck would be a major disaster and a very expensive one at that. There is nothing cheap about having a shop do all of this work.

I don't feel I made a bad financial decision yet, but once I start the body mods and long travel suspension it will be a whole different subject.
    Brock

My source of feelings and opinions had all sorts of opinions when I left in the middle of a blizzard for Mitchell SD in a Mercury Mountaineer (that was paid for) and came back in a Lincoln Mark LT with a bright and sparkling truck payment.

Oh well..... I'm not going to tow my boat -- that I bought a few months later - with a mid sized SUV.

And seriously, something needs to make up for the terrible looking race car on the trailer, right? Oh wait, haven't finished making my Mustang a race car or bought the trailer - yet. Lol.

Yea, I think we've all been there.

An acre of land should be about enough room for my shop and a fenced in area for the rest of my toys and a house. Well, maybe 2 acres. Or three - I can definitely fit it all in 3.

I may have been called an idiot this weekend also... I "accidentally" managed to pick up two turbocoupe 2.3t and t5 combos. I may be on the lookout for an old ranger soon too.

Quote Originally Posted by erratic50 View Post
    My source of feelings and opinions had all sorts of opinions when I left in the middle of a blizzard for Mitchell SD in a Mercury Mountaineer (that was paid for) and came back in a Lincoln Mark LT with a bright and sparkling truck payment.

Oh well..... I'm not going to tow my boat -- that I bought a few months later - with a mid sized SUV.

And seriously, something needs to make up for the terrible looking race car on the trailer, right? Oh wait, haven't finished making my Mustang a race car or bought the trailer - yet. Lol.

Yea, I think we've all been there.

An acre of land should be about enough room for my shop and a fenced in area for the rest of my toys and a house. Well, maybe 2 acres. Or three - I can definitely fit it all in 3.
    Seems like a logical purchase to me.

If I were you, I would shoot for 3 acres. That will give you plenty of room to allow me to bring a camper in and lease a corner of your lot so I have somewhere to live.
    Brock