Close

Default Factory TRX wheels/tires vs LMRS aftermarket TRX wheels/tires

A question for those of you that have made the switch...

A car that I'm looking at has the original tires and wheels that it came with. The car has just over 25,000 miles on it and the wheels and center caps are in excellent condition. Obviously, the tires have to be replaced. If I buy new repro TRX tires, it's about 1400 for tires not including mounting and balancing. If I buy the aftermarket wheels and tires, it's 1100 to get them and then the cost of having a shop swap them out (I don't have the space & tools).

Obviously, I would save on the new set, but the idea of chucking an excellent set of wheels to the side bugs me a bit. Also, what about the difference in ride quality with the larger wheel and lower profile tires? I don't want to have to upgrade the suspension just for new tires and wheels.

Advice would be appreciated...
    Bryan

1983 Mustang GLX Convertible

I bought the new LMR TRX'S and bought tires through Discount Tire.....all for under $1,100. Loving them. And, yes, I have OEM TRX's in storage...... future is uncertain whether I keep them or not.
    conmech - aka Marshall
    Pending build-1983 Mercury Capri RS NOT staying as it left the showroom floor......
    Sonic blue pearl, sand beige, netted halos, FR500 wheels and shiny under the hood.

Quote Originally Posted by conmech View Post
    I bought the new LMR TRX'S and bought tires through Discount Tire.....all for under $1,100. Loving them. And, yes, I have OEM TRX's in storage...... future is uncertain whether I keep them or not.
    Got any photos Marshall?
    Bryan

If you are not trying to make your car exactly as it rolled off the assembly line then the main topic of discussions are maintainability and cost.

It costs significantly more than the LMR 16's every single time a stock metric wheel needs a tire. If you drive a lot this will add up. Also there are far fewer tire options for the metric TRX.

Personally I would leave the metric TRX to the guys and gals that are doing those over the top restorations and get the LMRs as it's less expensive initially and it's less expensive ongoing.

But you are getting an opinion from a guy that threw his factory 10 hole wheels into storage and converted to 5 lug for better brake options.

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...been-completed

Pic with the new LMR TRX'S is the 2nd pic.
    conmech - aka Marshall
    Pending build-1983 Mercury Capri RS NOT staying as it left the showroom floor......
    Sonic blue pearl, sand beige, netted halos, FR500 wheels and shiny under the hood.

FEP Senior Member Patrick Olsen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini1999 View Post
    Also, what about the difference in ride quality with the larger wheel and lower profile tires? I don't want to have to upgrade the suspension just for new tires and wheels.
    It's not even a 1" difference in wheel diameter (390mm = 15.35" vs 16"), and the change in sidewall height is similarly insignificant (220/55 TRX vs 225/55 conventional = a few millimeters difference); I wouldn't worry about that at all.

The metric TRX are basically obsolete now with the LMR 16" reproductions. The originals tire and wheels have some value to a purist with a show car. Sell the TRX and don't look back. Buy the 16" reproductions and you will have several options on tire brand and prices in the future.
    MCA #110307
    "Saved" 25k mi 83 GT - http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...ght=Wrecked+GT
    83 GT T Top
    83 GT Convt
    84 20th Anniversary T Top GT350 SOLD 11/17
    84 GT Convt SOLD 08/18

I appreciate the input so far. The size differences between new and old aren't as great as I thought they were. Yes, if I wanted to keep the car "pure", I could spend a little extra on TRX rubber repops and use the original wheels. Wheel the aftermarket wheels and tires would save some money, the thought of trying to sell pristine factory wheels...to who and for how little? As you've said, they've been rendered practically obsolete.

It's going to require some thought.
    Bryan

As much as I love the old factory looking TRX and 10 holes and pony rims, etc..... reality is 17's are way less expensive to get tires for.

Just sayin.

As noted above, it basically comes down to---what do you want to do with the car? If you want to keep it factory correct, obviously stay with the original TRX's. If that is not important, then it doesn't matter much. If you go with the repros, take good care of the originals.... someone like me might want them someday (ha).
    Bob in Lebanon, TN
    79 original owner six cylinder coupe
    MCA Gold Card judge for 3rd Generation cars

Quote Originally Posted by erratic50 View Post
    As much as I love the old factory looking TRX and 10 holes and pony rims, etc..... reality is 17's are way less expensive to get tires for.

Just sayin.
    Not true. $382 for my tires, installed and lifetime warranty....total.
    conmech - aka Marshall

Quote Originally Posted by conmech View Post
    Not true. $382 for my tires, installed and lifetime warranty....total.
    I got a brand new set of 15" tires (225 60) off eBay for $260 shipped. Mounted them myself and had a shop balance them. They were the off brand "ohtsu" but supposedly made by Falken. Either way, I'm really happy with them. Look good and fairly soft, so they hook ok.
    Last edited by Broncojunkie; 06-08-2017 at 07:41 PM.

Same brand.....
    conmech - aka Marshall

Mine were new takeoffs that I picked up for $200 bucks on my 17" tribar rims...... great craigslist buy.

Its lots easier to find guys foolishly squandering away their wheels and tires from newer cars than older. This dude had just bought his 04 GT that some dunce had put tribars on. The tires were new but he still went to 18's. Cheap ones at that.

Score for my build.

Quote Originally Posted by roush235 View Post
    As noted above, it basically comes down to---what do you want to do with the car? If you want to keep it factory correct, obviously stay with the original TRX's. If that is not important, then it doesn't matter much. If you go with the repros, take good care of the originals.... someone like me might want them someday (ha).
    Bob -

If push comes to shove, I could just follow your example and swap them out for 14"aluminum wheels like I did last time.
    Bryan