Close

Default Testing an OEM Fan With Jumper Cables

Anyone know why this wouldn't work? I wanted to try out my new Mark VIII fan, so I hooked up jumper cables to my battery with the car off and tried hooking them up. I tried just clipping them onto the battery cables as if i were jumping a car. Nothing. It didn't even try to turn on. Is it possible it didn't have enough amps with the car off or something? Or did the ebay seller send me a bad fan?!
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

I've done this before (also to test a fan) - should work fine....

If It has two wires then yes. If it has three wires, maybe. Try (with nothing else plugted in) twistting two wires together and see if it becomes harder to spin. If so, you will need a brushless dc controller. Running all the 12volt juice you can will just burn it up if you havent already.
    2 1986 cougars (both 4 eyed and 5.0)
    1 1987 cougar

It has 2 wires. + and - are labeled on the connector. I haven't tried anything else yet except running the jumper cables to it with the engine off. I did try reverse polarity too, and still nothing. It doesn't even act like it wants to turn on. It's like i hadn't connected the wires at all.

I'll try the twist together thing, and i do have a DCC FK-45 on its way, which was designed for this fan, so maybe I'll just wait until it gets here. Definitely seemed odd though.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

It may be a pulse width modulation motor. If so, they do not lime straight current and are designed to how power flashed on and off very quickly. Same with a brushless motor, however, those need a minimum of 3 wires and actually run on ac electricity but last longer and have much more torque.
    1 1987 cougar

Interesting. I didn't know there was a such thing as a PWM specific motor. I know it is controlled by PWM in the factory application and the DCC controller I bought does the same. I guess I can wait to panic.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Yeah, it will have a seperate driver for the fan then. Usually there is a controller box either in the computer (on with a/c or when over 190ºf and back off over 45mph unless too hot). Ford likes to build em all in the newer obd2 cars.

A brushless motor will be about half the size and weight of the same power rated brushed motor and will last as long as the ball bearings in the motor will. They dont have any brushes to wear out and last much longer.

Big big power and weight savings on my lil electric planes.
    1 1987 cougar