Close

Default Ideas for Safe way to store Interior

I have a near perfect set of front and rear cloth seats I am going to need to store long term. I am thinking the wife may not approve of them being stored in the climate-controlled dining room. So I have an attic that is very dry and free of mice (at least so far it is) but it gets very hot in summer and cold in the winter. My other choice is a walk-out basement. I know when everyone hears the word "Basement" they think dark and damp. It is more humid than the house but not DAMP as far as actual water leaking in by any stretch. It is dark down there and there is some humidity but the temperature is even all year around. There is a full 8 foot roll-up garage door in it on the end so it is not exactly all under ground. I am not sure which location would be better and I also don't know "HOW" to store them. Should they be wrapped in some air-tight plastic or just covered in something but left so air can circulate around them? All I know for sure is to not set anything on them or lean them on anything so as not to impress some "memory" in the foam of where said object was.
    Liberty once lost is lost forever.

John Adams
    July 7, 1775

I would say the basement is the better option. In my experience the extreme heat of attics and even some storage unit during the summer cause more damage than expected.

I would look at trying to store the pieces inside the vacuum bags if possible. If you have full seats that would be difficult or you would have to separate the upper and lower sections. Then you could insert them in the storage/travel vacuum bags. I would vacuum the bags down to remove as much air as possible, but not actually compress anything. That should give you a water tight/air tight seal on the materials and the even temperature of the basement should work just fine. Best of luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller