Close

Default Best 4-lug 8.8 choice for my wagon: Turbo coupe or Mustang or...

The further I dive into this, the more I confused I get. I have a Fairmont wagon that spent almost its entire life in California. It really was a "little old lady's" ride, and I got the receipts to prove it. It currently has the 3.3 but I'm leaning toward the T-Bird's 2'3 turbo motor with that same car's 4-lug 8.8 axle. I especially like the idea of four wheel discs and I just want a fun cruiser as I already have an '85 GT that's a bit impractical.

My problem is I bought a '83 LTD II wagon that was pretty well roached out but it did have few carrots that I wanted. A tailgate with the swing out glass and a good left rear door. At least the parts of the door that I needed were good. Anyway, to my surprise it also had a 8.8 rear end that I think came from a Turbo Coupe but I'm not sure since all the brake parts were in a pile and the guy selling the car only had it because somebody gave it to him to settle a debt. I started doing some measuring and found that the rear upper control arms were about 3/4" longer than the ones in my Fairmont. I'll stop her 'cause I think I'm already starting to sound stupid.

Not at all. '83-88 T-bird/Cougars had longer control arms than Mustangs and Fairmonts.

You wouldn't want to use those control arms on your car.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

FEP Senior Member Patrick Olsen's Avatar

I've seen plenty of discussion of the front control arms being longer on the Tbirds, but never that the rear control arms were different.

The rear lowers are indeed different length, actually even from 1983-1986 compared to 87-88 years. Officially the cars grew .2" in 1987. Its not really enough to hurt anything, but you can get adjustable lowers control arms for this reason. Just check pinion angles, tbe same say you would on anythjng else.

The real confusion comes in with the front arms. 83-85.5 were the same as the mustang. In 1986, the mustang was supposed to be replaced with few so ford went to town redesigning every car left. In 1985.5-1986 cougar/tbird got unique widths of mustang arms with its own cougar/tbird k-member.

87-88 arms being off of the Lincoln continental to improve ride quality.
    2 1986 cougars (both 4 eyed and 5.0)
    1 1987 cougar