Close

Mike1157

Default The Gila Monster gets his first write up,....

This is from a guy that I met while at my last cruise-in. Works at one of the local universities as a communication director.

http://www.junkyardlife.com/

Congratulations. Well deserved.

You're famous now. lol I wonder how long it takes to read all 280+ pages at once? It's measured in days, I think.
    1985 GT, Sunroof, 5 Lug, Rear Discs, 01 Graphite Bullets, 88 forged piston shortblock, 2.02/1.60 Alum heads, Weiand Stealth, Holley C950 TBI, BBK Long tubes

Sweet!!

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by droopie85gt View Post
    You're famous now. lol I wonder how long it takes to read all 280+ pages at once? It's measured in days, I think.
    Depends if you've read the same stuff in two other forums or not....320 minutes for me.

Double dippers...welcome back to FEP!

Mike, you've Totally Messed up the Free world...you have made jurnos and copy editors do more hard work than any other guy in the US.

Let those stories role on in, my friend. Well done.

Suplemetry Nine questions...droopie didn't have the stones to ask it here, so I will....

droopie85gt, Yesterday at 11:15 PM

Let's ask Mike questions:

I'm wondering if he's on the K*** I***** train and thinks the earth is f***.
    Does he support t****** g*****identification?
    Single p**** h***** insurance?
    Paper or styrofaom boxes at M******s.
    S*****t or uns**** tea?
    M****** or C******* BBQ?
    Is E*** d***d?
    If a Green Peacer is killed by a w*** is it funny or tragic?
    T*** B**** or J** M******?

And its pump cavitation for sure, not heat....Mitch got it....

Quote Originally Posted by black88coupe View Post
    Something to think about when running a big pump with the stock hanger and fuel lines.
    https://youtu.be/Ium8jf4Jm04

Very cool Mike and well deserved.
    Dave

If common sense was common wouldn't it just be sense?

1983 Capri L T top 5.0 efi aod
    1983 Capri RS Turbo
    1981 Black Magic 400 c6
    93 F-250 351 5sp 4x4

Congratulation!

Very Nice!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Ohh, I feel a rave coming on...going back on historical "historonics" that put a bulwark between the buying public and Ford turbo in line six nirvana.

to flip forward into the Glia Monster nirvana as it is, its a delayed "public acceptance" recoil.

Boy Mike, are you gonna have to get used to the same old "what the heck is that" schtik

Well, it was nice to know who Steve is....A9L 5.0 baseline tune saves the day again.

That and the injection impedience swap-over.

Mike, your still wrestling with your engine not just being a stock 161 hp net/246 lb-ft pizza base. LOL.

That's because you have almost 300 hp and 300 lb-ft Before Turbo with your "uncorked" intake and wide lobe EFI roller cam with turbo compliant duration and lift. Then you add your intercooled boost ratio with whatever 10 psi yadda yadda boost, and your almost into the 500's for hp and pound feet.

Poor old old 1978 250 Mavrick 99 hp thing turns from a cold blooded smog monster to a crazy overheated AZ reptile!

Ford US or Australia just hated to wind up wick on the duration and lift on the 250...it took 20 years until the 1965 Oz spec 256 degree cam in 1985 became a fractionally smaller than the 60's 240/300 Big Six cam of 264 degrees in the Oz 85-92 EFI's. Wow. Big cam at 264, could be a loose torque cam selection? Well, no....you don't loose off idle or low end torque untill well over 290 degrees, because the engine has such a crappy rod ratio. So you've pulse tuned the a$$ out of the low end, kept the tractor torque, but added a whole motza of hp and lb-ft everywhere with your cam and turbo.

The Aussie market 1969 Windsor 351 GT cam was 290 degree Shelby cam and it made 300 hp net with just a 585 cfm 4bbl Holley 390 FE carb. I'd like to think that from that time till 1983, Ford and Honda's understanding of the ways to make power with less port and better chambers has been sucessfull. And Copying a BMW 735i intake manifold with a Bosch Jetronic LEII 323i based computer never hurt the old 83 to 84 EFI 4.1 Fords in any way. When the EECIV 1985 version came out, it was basicaly an SVO Mustang EFI system, yet no factory turbo

11 years of chamber, cam and intake development work with the 1983 HFII head created a an engine which made the same 149 hp net with a 1.3" port that the 1971 250 2V made with a 1.65" intake port. Same cam, same 250 engine base, same peak air flow, two press cars with the same weight and same 2.92 axle and 4 speed single rail gearbox both did 16.9 second quarter miles 11 years apart, one in a 1972 drive report, another in 1983.

Classic inlines copied the 250 2V in alloy, but the real advance was Honda and Ford Australia taking the better iron cross flow head, and deciding together to reduce the port sizes, and improving the short turn radius canted valve head, repositiong the spark plug, and making the head flow well.

The Alloy Head port angles and chamber are very, very good, probably the best ever for any canted 2 valve per cylinder OHV engine on earth. Mike, when you de-dagged the intake ports, you unleashed the beast a lot.

In the non turbo SVO Falcon 4.1, just one 280 degree cam made 197 hp with a 2-bbl 500 Holley, as the work was done in his Genie exhaust headers Advert 2-BBL carb Alloy Head II work ute. That little 4.1 cross flow pick up was holding his Greens Tuff 450 hp 351C in the tray, with a large hat covering the 1150 cfm carburation system.

145 cfm at 25"H20 were the factory figures, and lift at 435 thou lift gave a 205 hp potential hp, so with 550+ thou lift and port work, guess how much hp your roller cam will baseline at? xrglen level, that's what!

https://www.wheelsmag.com.au/feature...-falcon-xf-svo
    January 1987...

killer Wot and Litres units changed to respect US constitutional proper approved units....

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Stahl
    The first place any dinky-di Queenslander looks for anything is in his ute. Dick's crew turned its attention to the 4.1-liter, carburettor hack ute that had given the workshop many months' reliable service (and had also starred in a magazine advertisement).

In either carburettor or fuel-injection forms, Johnson believes the 4.1-liter engine's biggest performance problem is its inlet system. Chasing at least 200 hp for his proposed SVO engine, Johnson did some porting on the standard inlet manifold with the aid of the race workshop's flowbench facility. That work, along with other modifications including a different cam grind, netted 197 hp on the engine dyno. Using the flowbench, the SVO crew now intends to design its own inlet and exhaust manifolds.

What is not certain just yet is the engine to which they will be bolted. Dick knows he can get the 200-215 hp he wants from a carburettor engine, albeit with a lot of fiddling to accommodate unleaded petrol.

The prototype, meantime, was fitted with a leaded EFI engine, its only modification so far being a 280-degree duration camshaft. Even with the standard injection system and top-end intact, the prototype shows a mid-to-top-range zest quite foreign to the common or garden EFI engine

And the whole reason why you don't have Turbo 250 EECIV base maps to copy

Initial hopes had been to retain and further develop the turbo EFI 4.1 engine for use in the completed Falcon SVO package but Ford Australia, in the meantime, had been bitten on the ankle by a little turbo terrier and advised against it*.

Quote Originally Posted by xctasy
    A carb turbo Aussie car again, still with a Stromberg/SU type carb. This car was a 130 mph screamer on a cool day, or a guttless 112 mph struggler on a hot day. It was a stock Dodge Colt, with 2.0 liter version of the 2.6 Slient shaft motor found in the D50 trucks.

Beware, the rest of the article costs a subscrition.

http://www.autospeed.com/cms/A_1790/article.html

Note also the disaster ridden 1985 Ford KB Laser Turbo.

see http://www.autospeed.com/cms/A_1084/article.html

Amidst a wave of Cordia, Starion, Charade, ET and EXA turbos, Ford's 'White Lightning' Laser turbo was a fairly tentative toe in the water. The KB Laser turbo - the first serious performance Laser - was a limited build of 300. With its locally-developed draw-through carby turbo system (similar to the set-up used in the Mitsubishi Sigma GH turbo) the fully colour-coded-in-white hatches could hustle to 60 mph in just over 10 seconds. For a variety of reasons, though, the KB turbo is another car that received limited acclaim - certainly in comparison to the aforementioned turbocars. Available in 3 and 5-door guise, the turbocharged buzz-box was sold only during 1985.
    *The car was a service night mare, and this was because Ford Oz didn't want to use EFI on the carb turbo engine imported from Toyo Kogyos Tiwan Mazda plant. Sad
    Normally, the French Solex 32 mm 1-BBL carb gave a good account of itself...but the 300 little turbo terriers obviously created a problem for Ford service.

Very nice! It's a piece of art
    Shawn

Currently in the stable:
    83 Capri RS Crimson Cat
    90 7 UP Mustang
    87 Mustang GT
    83 Porsche 928S
    69 Thunderbird Landau
    65 Cadillac Calais 4DR Hardtop
    02 Thunderbird