Close

Default Another '85 GT with pictures and details - what's it worth

Hi,

New member here. In the market for an '86 or '85. I am interested in a "driver" and not a show car or collectable. But if I buy a car with a stable value I would be pleased.

I'm new to fox body cars, and I've been scanning craigslist for a year or so...but almost always for cars in the $2500-3500 range because of the low price and that I like to work on my cars.

So then I see this car. It is a lot more complete than what I was in the market for, and a lot higher price.

Is this an optimistic price, or market correct?

I can afford it. But in my mind I was going to buy a solid $3500 car and then spend upward of $5k over time to bring up to a higher standard. In this case, I'd be jumping into a more finished car and I'm less sure of the price.

Here's the car

Name:  1985_ford_mustang.jpeg
Views: 346
Size:  431.5 KB

93K miles
    Interior looks clean and complete
    Seller says he has receipts for recent work to AC, "tune up" and fluids/hoses from a Ford dealership

Thanks for any help you can offer

FEP Supporter

Judging based solely on the one picture you shared; if that is the original paint and 93K miles on a Light Regatta Blue GT, I'd say the car looks to be in fantastic shape. Is it one owner? Someone looked to have taken really good care of it.

You didn't say how much this one was but if you were planning on putting $8500 into a car anyways, this one may be up to $6k (guessing) so you'd still have budget left. With the prices of these cars seeming to be trending upwards you can't buy a car and fix it up for less than buying a good car like this - depending what your goal is.

Do you have more pictures? You didn't say if it was an 85 or 86. I can't tell myself if it's obvious in the picture If you buy this, you may get a car that has a stable of appreciating value. Heck it might turn into a show car or collectable for you if it's in that real good of condition

Good Luck and welcome to the site!
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis T View Post
    I think this is my favorite car on the site right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by BLUECRAPI
    This is the best thread on the internet.
    Darran
    1982-1C (Black) GT T-Top:http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...he-Road-Thread
    1986-9L (Oxford White) SVO: http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...d-did-1986-SVO
    1979 (85:Tangerine) Coupe (my son's): http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...gerine-Machine
    1979 (3F:Light Medium Blue) Coupe (one day to be my other son's!) http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...um-Blue-Bomber!

It's an '85.
    Asking price is $8500.

I haven't seen the car in person...it's a two hour drive, so not a major obstacle but I was hoping to get a reasonable idea of pricing so I didn't drive there only to find that me and the seller were miles apart on price.

Here's a link to a few more pics. LINK

FEP Supporter

Saw that it was an 85 in the thread title after

From what I've read these are CFI cars in 85 and not the more desirable EFI in 86. What would be the challenges to keep it okayed by your smog police?

Price seems high for that many miles but the Barrett Jackson syndrome is catching on. When I bought my 86 SVO in 2013 I knew I paid closer to the upper range. It had 153000 KM (90K miles) on it but the car was intact and needed TLC. Today with the work I've put into it, I feel it has appreciated in value. This 85 GT looks like it could be similar...priced at the higher end of the range.

It depends what you really want. If you want the cheaper, fixer upper, this isn't the car for you. This to me, in the condition it looks to be in is more of the collectable market.

Here is what Hagerty says https://www.hagerty.ca/apps/valuatio...Mustang-5.0_GT

1985 Mustang GT 3 door Hatchback
    Current Values
    #1 Concours
    $22,700

#2 Excellent
    $13,400

#3 Good
    $7,500
    #3 vehicles could possess some, but not all of the issues of a #4 vehicle, but they will be balanced by other factors such as a fresh paint job or a new, correct interior where applicable. #3 vehicles drive and run well, but might have some incorrect parts. These vehicles are not used for daily transportation but are ready for a long tour without excuses, and the casual passerby will not find any visual flaws. "Good" is the one word description of a #3 vehicle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis T View Post
    I think this is my favorite car on the site right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by BLUECRAPI
    This is the best thread on the internet.
    Darran
    1982-1C (Black) GT T-Top:http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...he-Road-Thread
    1986-9L (Oxford White) SVO: http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...d-did-1986-SVO
    1979 (85:Tangerine) Coupe (my son's): http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...gerine-Machine
    1979 (3F:Light Medium Blue) Coupe (one day to be my other son's!) http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...um-Blue-Bomber!

Thanks for the Hagerty link info and responses.
    It will be interesting to see what the seller's mindset is. He may see value ($) in things I could care less about.

And I would prefer an '86. But it's not a deal breaker.

As far as smog goes, in Calif the seller must demonstrate, with a certificate, that the car passes a visual and emissions test. It will be my first question when I contact the seller...a failure to pass smog testing would be a major stumbling block.

For the record, the car in Technifiber's link is carbureted. It is not CFI.

The 5.0L mustangs in 1985, if equipped with a manual transmission, came with a 4180C Holley carburetor. If it was an automatic transmission car it would have came with CFI.

The carguru ad states 5-speed transmission. Engine compartment photo also confirms "5.0 Liter 4V H.O."
    Thomas

1985 Mustang GT - Build Thread
    347 (Stock Block, Scat Crank & Rods, Probe Pistons, 11:1 CR, AFR 185's, PP Crosswind Intake, Custom-ground Comp Hyd Roller Cam, Scorpion 1.6 Roller Rockers, Holley 3310-4), T-5, 8.8 w/3.55's, MM SFC's, T/A, PHB, LCA's, Strut Tower Brace, K-Member Brace, Bilstein HD Struts/Shocks, MM/H&R Springs, SN95 5-Lug, Cobra Brakes, '04 Mach 1 Steering Rack

FEP Senior Member

Cool car. It has the cool steering wheel and crank windows. Regatta blue cars always seem to be a sought after color.

Price just went down to $7950 on the listing...
    Bryan

1983 Mustang GLX Convertible

Well, I got in touch with the seller. Nice guy, no BS.

But the car lost its "cats" when it went to Florida. Not ideal for a CA resident, probably not a big deal for someone in another state.

He was willing to work on the price because of this, but just not the right scenario for me. I never saw the car in person.

The search continues...

FEP Super Member

Cats are not expensive by any means , as tbat is a very nice car , it would not be a deal breaker for me anyway.
    Good luck sir .
    clowns to the left of me , Jokers to the right

Price seems fair. How is it optioned? I can tell you from experience, its way cheaper in the long run to buy more car up front.
    1984.5 GT 5.0 5 Speed ANALOG
    BBK Long Tubes/H pipe/FM
    Edelbrock Intake/Holley 600
    8.8 w/FMS 3.73s
    Steeda Shifter

2010 GT 5 Speed DIGITAL
    Track Pack
    Pypes Violator axle back
    Airaid Cold Air

I thought the price, for the condition of the car based on pictures, was on target. And I agree, that spending more upfront for a nice car is a money saver in the long run. The car had AC, but roll up windows and not a lot of other features that I could tell from the photo.

The car was a California car that moved to Florida and back again. But when it moved back to California, it stayed registered in Florida and therefore didn't have to comply with California's registration requirements (smog check).

I mentioned passing on the car because it didn't have catalytic converts, but there would likely be more issues than just putting on a new exhaust system. I didn't ask for every detail so I could be wrong. But my experience has been that cars that don't have to comply with a smog check (both visual and sniffer) lose a lot of their 30 year old underhood smog pieces as well.

All of that would have to be in place, and functioning, to get the car registered in CA. That could add significantly to the time and cost of ownership, and it would be all on the new owner to pay for it. Still probably a good car, and a good guy to work with, for someone outside of CA.