Close

Default SN95 Suspension parts on Four Eyed Fox trivia

Just a little piece of trivial info I thought I would share.

The 1995 SN95 rearend with 17" 1995 tribar rims on the back of my car are 68" outside of rim bead to outside of rim give or take what can be perceived with the naked eye while the car sits on 245/45/17 tires

Meanwhile up front ..... my 1986 stock K member, 1986 stock A arms, and the same rims/tires appear to measure 66" bead to bead measured the same way by the same person.

I know the track width increased when I swapped the stock 86 spindles for SN95 because I was running the same 245/45/17's with 86 Ranger rotors before I redid the frontend. With the SN95s I can turn way sharper than before - 2.5 turns lock to lock without rubbing even now.

we happen to have an unmodified original 1986 GT with stock 10 hole rims on it here also. Later on I might measure it too just for a frame of reference.

You see hub to hub measurements and axle measurements all the time but you don't very often see bead to bead based upon widely available parts so that was the goal of this post.

Project wise, my end goal is to have about the same track width front and rear on my car. Or at least narrow enough in back that stuff never rubs.

Ultimately I will likely end up with fox width rearend with the same rims. I might add 3/8" of spacers and a panhard then have the rear rims widened to the inside such that they fill the entire wheel well with the quad shocks inverted. Or maybe mini tubs that fit under the factory interior trim?

I'm going for a ride that's proudly identifiable as an 86 GT but with a 1993 Cobra R type persona when I'm done. The clues that something's up will be 93 Cobra R style rims, a 1993 Cobra lower rear bumper (minus the "cobra") and some SVO style spats in front of the rear wheels. I may play with behind the front wheels, and do something to the front bumper also. Maybe fill the ford add a pony, update the lower.

The thing about measuring to the wheel edges is that it is dependent on the wheel width and offset. Hub to hub has fewer variables which is why it is the norm. The track width differences will be replicated to the wheel edge given the use of the same spec wheels, thus it really isn't too relevant. You can choose wheels with non standard widths and offsets to get around the width of the axle and/or use spacers to increase the track width. But having your heart set on the Cobra wheel means you need to work out the geometry elsewhere.

You are correct that the SN95 spindles increase your track width, the 94-95 ones add 0.120" width per side, the 96-04 spindles widen it by 0.320" per side. Of course you can't run the 96-04 spindles without a lot of other changes due to the other differences. Lots of good info on Maximum Motorsports site on this topic.

I am using the 96-04 spindles on my 79 with all MM parts complimenting them. I have run into a lot of challenges with that set up trying to fit wheels. The coil overs limit the backspacing clearance and with the wider spindles, using spacers to correct for that meant the much wider track width created clearance issues at the fenders. Not wanting to add big fender flares meant going to non Mustang wheels to get what I wanted to fit. I was also set on a five spoke style wheel which also really limited my options. I looked at having a set of wheels narrowed for the front, but the cost was as much as buying a different set of wheel and they could not guarantee the finish would not be affected by the welding. It is doable though if you are determined to go that route. I would suggest if you are looking at a Panhard bar on the back, then look also at other options to get rid of the quad shock entirely as it is one of the big restrictions on rear tire size.
    Last edited by BMW Rider; 06-04-2017 at 11:41 AM.

Tbirds are 3/4" wider and mark 7 are around 1 1/2" wider the a stock width mustang. I beleive the 87-88 tbirds to be a bolt in affair with the noted decrease in turning radius. My 88 xr7 turns much tighter then my other 83-86 cars have.

Not sure if you can swap the control are and still get in spec with an alignment.
    2 1986 cougars (both 4 eyed and 5.0)
    1 1987 cougar

Not that it's really pertinent to your post, but the 93 Cobra rear bumper did not have "COBRA" embossed in the cover. That didn't happen until the 1996 model and later. The 94/95 models had "Mustang" embossed into the covers.

In regards to the lower valance of the 93 Cobra, Wings West has the best fitting urethane option I have found in that regards. I have theirs and two other brands and the Wings West fits the best out out of the three.

As for bead to bead track width measurements, I agree with BMW Rider in that although the information can be useful and helpful in determining what may or may not fit, track width measurements are more accurate and more relate able when making all these type of changes.

Luckily today there are literally thousands of options in regards to wheel sizes, offsets, etc. that you can make work on a 5 lug Fox if you are willing to do some measuring, checking, and think outside the box. Best of luck with the modifications!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

FEP Senior Member Patrick Olsen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BMW Rider View Post
    You can choose wheels with non standard widths and offsets to get around the width of the axle and/or use spacers to increase the track width. But having your heart set on the Cobra wheel means you need to work out the geometry elsewhere.

I am using the 96-04 spindles on my 79 with all MM parts complimenting them. I have run into a lot of challenges with that set up trying to fit wheels. The coil overs limit the backspacing clearance and with the wider spindles, using spacers to correct for that meant the much wider track width created clearance issues at the fenders. Not wanting to add big fender flares meant going to non Mustang wheels to get what I wanted to fit. I was also set on a five spoke style wheel which also really limited my options.
    So what wheels did you end up with? (Or has that choice not been finalized yet?)

Good info as always guys.

im surprised it's only .120 wider in front with SN95. I was expecting more knowing how badly the 245/45/17's rubbed before pulling the ranger rotors and going to an sn95 spindles.

trey - yea - I think I've seen some aftermarket knockoff crap with the logo in it. The interesting part will be to get the looks while keeping the correct belt trim on it. I have a plan, if it works.

my post was for the budget minded guy that is looking at a 5 lug conversion and may have to settle for a "stock" SN95 wheel. From there it's easy to look up the rim style and compare it to tribars too.

im thinking 2005+ rims are actually a better option if running an SN95 axle. Spacers would likely be needed in front for turning clearance.

For me I'm pretty happy with the front. Now to solve widths in the back.
    Last edited by erratic50; 06-06-2017 at 03:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Olsen View Post
    So what wheels did you end up with? (Or has that choice not been finalized yet?)
    I have a set of Enkei Kojins; 17x8 35mm offset for the fronts and 17x9 35mm offset on the rear. Still need to get rubber on them.

Name:  enkeitun_kojin_b_pdpfull.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  53.1 KB

FEP Senior Member Patrick Olsen's Avatar

Nice, those should look great! I think there's a lot of untapped potential in wheel selection - Enkei makes all sorts of 5x114.3mm/5x4.5" wheels for the RX7/RX8/300Z/350Z/Supra/STI/EVO platforms. High quality, generally pretty light, good sizing and offsets.