Close

Thread: Paint marks

Default Paint marks

I'm not restoring my car but rather refurbishing/preserving it. 21K on the clock and stored indoors the last 18 years (2 years outside but under a cover unfortunately when I was young and broke!). I am just now digging into looking at some finishes in my engine compartment. Thought I'd share what I found to be interesting paint marks.

Happy to share anything else that may be interesting to you on this forum. Lots more pics in my "start" thread in my signature.

Engine block:

Firewall:

Floor

Timing cover "T"

Crank pulley

I'm also interested in your thoughts as I have the engine apart on cleaning/painting again with the idea of preserving rather than restoring. The areas that have surface rust like the water pump pulley washer, shock mounts etc. that have bare finishes, I am thinking about cleaning them then applying a matte clear coat. What would you do?

Thx!
    Current FEP:
    1980 M81 McLaren Carb Turbo 2.3T #003P ... IT'S ALIVE after a 22 year slumber thread!

Past FEP:
    1986 Capri GS 5.0- very missed but in goods hands
    1985 LTD SSP- quick little fox 5.0

FEP Power Member

The Fox bodies had some paint marks. Mostly in the normal things like shocks, sway bars etc. to make it simpler to assemble at the factory. The few you do find should be preserved. We don't normally even look for them in the Concourse and Unrestored MCA. Funny because the early cars had lots of marks and my 03 had a lot too.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

Quote Originally Posted by KevinK View Post
    The Fox bodies had some paint marks. Mostly in the normal things like shocks, sway bars etc. to make it simpler to assemble at the factory. The few you do find should be preserved. We don't normally even look for them in the Concourse and Unrestored MCA. Funny because the early cars had lots of marks and my 03 had a lot too.
    Thanks Kevin, I'll preserve what I find along the way.
    Current FEP:
    1980 M81 McLaren Carb Turbo 2.3T #003P ... IT'S ALIVE after a 22 year slumber thread!

Past FEP:
    1986 Capri GS 5.0- very missed but in goods hands
    1985 LTD SSP- quick little fox 5.0

QC Checker marks.

FoxChassis informed me that Valenti was a checker at San Jose (SAP)

I found the name on the drivers side hatch/trunk floor under the carpet. Do check!

Quote Originally Posted by xctasy View Post
    While doing my Road Roughness meter sensor wire up, I saw a lot more.

Another strange thing...yellow paint splots all over the mechanical parts, and these strange runes under the dash and trunk carpet.

What does it all mean, a 1981 vehicle made earlier?

Quote Originally Posted by xctasy View Post

Try a rust converter chemical on that pulley and see if you like the black finish that is left on the part.

Name:  DSCN0069.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  61.9 KB

Rather than wire brush the rusty parts, try Evapo-rust. It works awesome and doesn't change the finish on the metal.
    Dave

If common sense was common wouldn't it just be sense?

1983 Capri L T top 5.0 efi aod
    1983 Capri RS Turbo
    1981 Black Magic 400 c6
    93 F-250 351 5sp 4x4

Parts do have sprayed, dyed, or mechanically added paint coding, but not all.
    Color is used to id correct parts when variations of the same basic part all appear the same.
    Or for some other reason.

Normally there are no hand added paint dots or markings on anything unless:
    QC alert of a problem or running change of the part.
    Verifys part is correct, installed correctly, plus has been checked visually or other.

Usually will find the added dabs are done with a Markal paint marker or similar.
    Color dot stickers also are used.
    QC chooses the color(s) and publishes a bulletin with the details to all concerned from factory to dealer.
    Each QC concern has its own color until a specified expire date.
    Exact location of color marking is also specific.

The yellow ones pictured is a little overkill as far as application of the color.
    A little dab will do ya. No time to paint the thing nor does QC want that.
    Make it look subtle and clear enough to do the job without attracting attention or curiosity.

The stamped date code was used back then to id parts batch for tracking.
    Then it went to lot numbers.
    Analog era.

Life got more complex when computers, lasers, robotics, became common on the factory floor.
    Digital era.

Now, everything is bar coded and scanned. Parts have to pass checkout before moving on from workstation.
    Minor, major parts, and final sub assemblies, have serial numbers in the bar code and maybe also in plain view uncoded.
    Hand made markings have not gone away but now may be removed before final shipment.

FEP Power Member

Still hand marks on my 2014. For some reason they seemed to be less common from mid 80s to mid 90s. Possibly it's because the options were so limited on the drivetrain.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles