Close

Default Alternative to drag radials?

I got a used set of draglites for the pace car. Front tires (skinny) are in good shape. Rear tires (MT drag radials) are dry rotted. My plan for this car is mostly cruise-ins and the occasional trip to the local 1/8 mile drag strip. I'm wondering if anyone runs regular radials instead of drag radials? Would it look ok? And does anyone have suggestions on a tire that would be good for street use and still look ok?

FEP Member

Depends on size and power you are making.
    My Lightning made 697/734 RWHP/TQ and I ran M&H Drag Radials on the street, 325/40-18's. Amazing street traction and they lasted over 5,000 miles. Pretty impressive D.R in my opinion. A lot longer lasting and better traction on the street than M/T's. I ran slicks at the track because the poor weight distribution and how hard the power comes on with the supercharger at high boost. A set of M&H's on a relatively light Fox body with 1/2 the power would be all you would ever need.

On my current car with a 51/49 F/R weight distribution, weighing in at over 4800#'s with 2.65 gears, and over 900#ft of torque I run BFG g-Force COMP-2 A/S tires on the street because I put a lot more miles on this car. They are amazing for a standard tire on the street. I run M/T drag radials at the track (1.59 60' times) but the M/T's just wear way too fast on the street for a DD.

The M&H drag radial or the BFG are awesome tires, just depends on how much power you are trying to put down
    Last edited by Dr. Matt; 06-02-2017 at 04:19 PM.

I probably should have mentioned the power issue. It's a 331 stroker with no plans of any power adders. Not sure what kind of power it will make but i doubt it would be over 350hp.

And 15x8 rears

FEP Member

http://www.mandhtires.com/M-H-Drag-R...9#.WTHu_-vyuM8

These should last along time on your Fox and hook like a kitten climbing your couch!

Last edited by Dr. Matt; 06-02-2017 at 06:21 PM.

They look nice... maybe a little pricey. The Nittos, I can buy for around $160 each. But if these would wear better on the street, then I'm sure it would be worth it. Thanks for the link!

FEP Super Member

I have a 347 and spray in my 84.
    I have 275/40/17 Nitto Drag Radials on it .
    I get rain showers , even in the summer , and these do very well when that happens.
    They get nice and sticky , when i go to the grudge races on the weekends , and also well on the street .
    clowns to the left of me , Jokers to the right

FEP Member

I've never run the Nittos, but if they hook well enough for your power that's a great price. Only friend I've seen run them didn't hook well at the track with his Mustang, but he was trying to wrinkle them up with his power! lol.

Quote Originally Posted by ashley roachclip View Post
    I have a 347 and spray in my 84.
    I have 275/40/17 Nitto Drag Radials on it .
    I get rain showers , even in the summer , and these do very well when that happens.
    They get nice and sticky , when i go to the grudge races on the weekends , and also well on the street .
    I have the same tire(size and everything) on my 85 347 naturally aspirated and I can spin them first and second gear on the street. Are you heating them up? What is your technique.? They are definitely better than the street tires I replaced but didn't seem to hook like magic for me.

Many years ago when I was driving my car year around I ran studded mud and snow tires. When April came a 5000 RPM drop and burn threw all the studs and a soft compound sticky tire was revealed.... If I didn't heat them too much and had the sway bar disconnected a 4500 RPM drop would dead hook on cement usually. Near stock parts but a mild cam and turned up all the way is how I ran it.

I had ok luck with Viper TR's when they were still around. Firestone Indy 500's with the pressure dropped hooked well enough to bust the center out of a Spec clutch and trash an input shaft on me once.

These days Cooper Cobras do pretty well on my sons 86 that's turned up, on premium, and running a VM1 speed density ECU but mostly stock.

Never had good luck with Nittos on my cousins 1999 GT. Not even with HPM megabite bars. I could out 60 foot him every time.

What size are the Cooper Cobras? Do you know?

235/60/15 on 10 holes. There's room for more.