Close

Default Fuel filter location after dual exhaust conversion

Does anyone have pictures of an 86 showing the fuel filter location and the fuel line layout, or an 84-85 that was dual exhaust converted?

My 84 5.0 convertible was dual exhaust converted 2 summers back but the fuel filter placement wasn't done right and the fuel lines have small kinks in them.

my fuel filter was put above the rear end pumpkin and it got crushed. I need to see its correct placement done in a factory 86 and up and I need to custom make fuel lines with correct bends.

Busy with family stuff today but ping me if nobody answers you today. My son and I both have 1986 GTs.

On fuel injected cars there is a filter mounted in front of the fuel tank on the passenger side that is mounted in the same direction as the tank.

I thought I had pics on my phone, but it must be my camera that has them. What I did on my 84 that I converted to EFI and has dual exhaust was to use the rear portions of an 86+ factory fuel line and ran it that way. The fuel filter sits off on the passenger side on a brace by the spare tire well and the actual fuel lines run up the side of the driveshaft tunnel and cross over to the passenger side by the rear floor pans.

Name:  20130224194459_6894.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  35.9 KB

IMHO, it would be worth either getting a set of new or used EFI lines from an 86+ car instead of trying to bend the current lines as they will not clear correctly with the position they run up the passenger side. You could also cut the supply and return back around the center of the floorpans and splice in the pieces of the later model lines that run up the trans tunnel. That's what I did, not my first choice, and I used double locking S.S. compression fittings that will far surpass the strength of the lines. If you go that route, make sure to check the fittings for leaks every now and then.
    Brock
    1984 Mustang LX Convertible 3.8L V-6/Auto (SOLD)
    1984 Mustang GT Hatchback 5.0 V-8/5 Speed

I'm an FEP Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

Does anyone know if the 1985 and earlier cars have the provision for mounting the fuel filter in the same location as the EFI cars? Are the mounting holes there, the filter and bracket just need to be mounted? Also, as fgross2006 first asked, is there a diagram that shows the routing, and where to fasten the little P clamps? I think the original ones are riveted, right? Any ideas how best to fasten the lines (use rivets, sheet metal screws, etc.)?