Close

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

I too just looked at the pics in your album and that car is beautiful......congratulations!
    Those TRX Wheels look so great on a convertible like yours.
    Ron
    I never seem to get the nut that holds the steering wheel fixed

Quote Originally Posted by BLK BRD 88 View Post
    I too just looked at the pics in your album and that car is beautiful......congratulations!
    Those TRX Wheels look so great on a convertible like yours.
    Ron
    Yeah, they are in excellent shape. I'm actually going to buy new tires at 330 per tire. I just can't see the point in chucking wheels that look that good for someone else to slap new tires on.
    Bryan

1983 Mustang GLX Convertible

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini1999 View Post
    Yeah, they are in excellent shape. I'm actually going to buy new tires at 330 per tire. I just can't see the point in chucking wheels that look that good for someone else to slap new tires on.
    Bryan, I would ask around on here about buying TRX tires. When I had my 83 RS a few years ago, it had TRX wheels and I checked around and found new tires for it at substantially less $$$
    Ron
    I never seem to get the nut that holds the steering wheel fixed

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini1999 View Post
    You mentioned that the part was expensive, but all the pricing I found for that part was well under $100, unless I was seeking an NOS part.
    If you meant me, I was in a bit of a rush and only priced around locally. They ream us real good locally with auto parts prices in Canada. For instance, the new MAP sensor I got when this thing was still stifled and functioning like a fuel-swilling half-wit with fuel injection (even AFTER the new MAP sensor install, and all other CFI ducks in a row... which is why I said to hell with it all and ripped it all out and went with a carburetor, the best thing that's happened to it, by far, judging by it's running manners now and by it's 32+MPG... that new MAP sensor and all of it's friends still live here in a cardboard box), the best price I could find to get a new neutral safety switch asap locally was ~$100... which is insanity realized.
    Last edited by Walking-Tall; 06-21-2017 at 02:14 PM.
    Mike
    1986 Mustang convertible ---> BUILD THREAD
    Past Fox-chassis "four eyes":
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1986 Ford Thunderbird ELAN
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Work in progress website ---> http://carb-rebuilds-plus.boards.net/

Well, for the first time since I got it, the blast furnace temps cooled bit and I had some time to take the GLX out for a drive. It gave me more time to get used to the differences, like starting up a carb equipped car again. I can't remember the last time I had to press the gas pedal to do that. While driving it, I couldn't help but enjoy the experience of looking around the interior and not thinking if things that need to be done. I did notice that both door windows could be a bit tighter when going up and down and the driver's door has a rattle around the latch when going over bumps. Both of these things will probably be cured by replacing their respective bushings. The engine runs smooth and the smog report was excellent, but I have a strong feeling that the car could use a tune up. The turn signal flasher seems to be a bit faster than I've ever seen in any Ford, so I'll research that a bit. The e-brake handle seems to be recessed further back into the console than any other Fox, but it operates normally. I've found that when it's not hot outside, the neutral starter switch doesn't act up, but I've still ordered a new one. The obvious things are getting the A/C recharged and getting new tires. I had a shop that told me that they would recharge an older car with R12 as long as I supplied it. I know that some kind of mineral oil is required too, so I'm going to check back with them about what I need to bring with me when they do it.

I look at all of these things as niggling little maintenance items, which will be taken care of over the summer, but when those are done, then it's just a matter of staying on top of things like any other used car. I'm very happy to have it, but I never really saw myself ever owning a white car with red interior, but I have to admit that with the top down and the top boot snapped into place, the combination is rather shrinking. I will miss the white interior though. The best bit about the Polar White paint is that it doesn't oxidize like red cars do, so that will require a bit less effort.
    Bryan

1983 Mustang GLX Convertible

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123