Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Congrats! I think you'll realy like the 3.8/c5 as a cruiser. I bought my '83 with the intentions of tearing out the v6/auto and building a high-strung, small-block track rat. After cleaning it up a little bit and driving it around I changed my mind. It is just such a happy little car to drive around that I couln't bring myself to messing with it.

Quote Originally Posted by NY5speed View Post
    Congrats! I think you'll realy like the 3.8/c5 as a cruiser. I bought my '83 with the intentions of tearing out the v6/auto and building a high-strung, small-block track rat. After cleaning it up a little bit and driving it around I changed my mind. It is just such a happy little car to drive around that I couln't bring myself to messing with it.
    ^^^ This! I honestly enjoyed my 84 3.8/auto vert the way it was.

Congrats on the car Bryan. I can't wait to see more pictures of it.
    Brock
    1984 Mustang LX Convertible 3.8L V-6/Auto (SOLD)
    1984 Mustang GT Hatchback 5.0 V-8/5 Speed

I'm an FEP Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

Hey Bryan, from one Sacramento area guy to another, congrats.

I think some people spend all their time looking for a car that is a one-in-a-million find, and miss out on a lot of enjoyment they could have had if they just bought a well presented car early on.

I've tried my hand a drag race only car. Got tired of it. I tried a full restoration once. I never drove it because there was always one more thing to fix before I was ready to pile on the miles. This time I'm going for something that is well sorted like you, and hope I spend more time enjoying it when I find it.

Steve

There's just something about this particular car buying experience that feels unusual...in my experience anyway. So many things just kind of lined up just right and it all worked out in my favor. Finding the right car for me has always been a tough experience. Usually, something comes along, but you don't have the money, didn't act fast enough, or it doesn't pan out to be what you thought it was. If I'm really honest, a white car with all red interior didn't appeal to me...at least not until I saw it in person. I know if I really wanted to, I could make changes, but you know me...it doesn't feel right.

The fact that I'm getting a car that ticks all of the boxes except for a couple, has extremely low miles and is in excellent condition from top to bottom...I can't believe that I'm the one that will have it next. I can't help but feel both excited and intimidated. It'll be an interesting experience, to be sure. It's as close to getting a "new" Fox convertible that I'm ever going to get.
    Bryan

1983 Mustang GLX Convertible

Congratulations!

You found your favorite flavor of poison.

Congratulations Bryan, I know you will take extreme care of this beauty.
    Now what's to become of your reverse color scheme vert?
    Ron
    I never seem to get the nut that holds the steering wheel fixed

Quote Originally Posted by BLK BRD 88 View Post
    Congratulations Bryan, I know you will take extreme care of this beauty.
    Now what's to become of your reverse color scheme vert?
    Ron
    That's the sad part. For one, I can only have two cars on site where I live. Second, my budget will only sustain 2 cars. As much as I love the Turbo GT, it will have to go. I'm going to wrap up a couple of things and then put it up for sale. This is part of the self realization that I recently had...after 6 years, I was making little to no progress on it. It's always something, it's too hot, too cold, too wet. Not enough work space, not enough time or not enough money, or not enough energy. At the age of 57, I just had to realize that as badly as I wanted it to be great, I'm not the person to get it there. I've been consumed with guilt where this car is concerned and it's time to pass it on to someone that can finish the job.
    Bryan

FEP Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini1999 View Post
    That's the sad part. For one, I can only have two cars on site where I live. Second, my budget will only sustain 2 cars. As much as I love the Turbo GT, it will have to go. I'm going to wrap up a couple of things and then put it up for sale. This is part of the self realization that I recently had...after 6 years, I was making little to no progress on it. It's always something, it's too hot, too cold, too wet. Not enough work space, not enough time or not enough money, or not enough energy. At the age of 57, I just had to realize that as badly as I wanted it to be great, I'm not the person to get it there. I've been consumed with guilt where this car is concerned and it's time to pass it on to someone that can finish the job.
    Bryan, the locals are going to miss your car when it goes. I wonder if they will come to like the white?

Name:  IMG_9605.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  144.1 KB

I'm really happy for you finding and buying this new car!
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis T View Post
    I think this is my favorite car on the site right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by BLUECRAPI
    This is the best thread on the internet.
    Darran
    1982-1C (Black) GT T-Top:http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...he-Road-Thread
    1986-9L (Oxford White) SVO: http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...d-did-1986-SVO
    1979 (85:Tangerine) Coupe (my son's): http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...gerine-Machine
    1979 (3F:Light Medium Blue) Coupe (one day to be my other son's!) http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...um-Blue-Bomber!

Bryan, any updates?

Quote Originally Posted by Technifiber 305 View Post
    Bryan, any updates?
    I'm scheduled to pick up the car on Sunday at 4pm. It's going to be 106 that day and the car needs the A/C recharged. I can guarantee that I won't be driving it much that day...
    Bryan

Ah yes...life in the central valley: WAY too hot during the day to have the top down. But in the evenings, nothing is better.

Well, the 83 is in my possession now. We exchanged money, keys and papers yesterday. I drove it home in 106 degree heat at 4pm with the top down and no A/C. It drove like a dream. The seller brought the car to the meeting place with the top down window unzipped and the boot in place. It looked nice, but when I got home, struggling with that window zipper in that heat...well, I was quite dripping wet mess by the time I was done.

The car is amazing to look at. There are very minor flaws in the paint...small ones, but it's white and easily fixed. The only flaw in the interior is that there are a couple of stuck on items on the gauge bezel, but I can try to deal with those later.

I obviously need to have the A/C recharged, get new tires and have basic services like fluids, filters, etc. There is one minor issue that will need to be looked at. Once I got the car him, I quickly found some shade to raise the top. I was going to move the car, but when I turned the ignition, it didn't crank. Everything had power, but the engine didn't turn and there was no clicking from the relay. I went out again later and the car started fine, but after I parked it, I tried to restart it, but no go. I know that it's a heat issue...but whether it's the starter, or something else, it's something that will need to be looked at very quickly. If anything, I'd like to know that I can depend on it to start when I need it to. I'm not angry or frustrated, but it's less than thrilling to have it happen the same day you get it.

Its just life telling me that I can have what I want, but it won't be perfect.

Ill take more pics later this weekend when it doesn't feel like the world is hurtling towards the Sun.
    Bryan

Hey Bryan,

Next time it doesn't crank in Park, move the shifter to Neutral and it might crank for ya then. Been there, done that with my '86 3.8/C5 'vert. The neutral safety switch in mine will still intermittently not work right even after I disassembled (had to drill the two rivets to separate the switch), cleaned the bit of sticky goo left out of it that would've been Ford's original lube in it, cleaned up the contacts, stretched the springs a little, added new grease, and reassembled with two screws. It worked fine for the longest time but I will have to check it again sometime, because it's obviously loose or still sticky or something inside, and maybe look at it's circuit wires down there too, and/or replace the switch. If you're ever stuck with no-start before you get the issue resolved, you can start the car by placing the key in the Run position and jumping the starter solenoid large terminals with a big screwdriver to get the starter spinning.
    Mike
    1986 Mustang convertible ---> BUILD THREAD
    Past Fox-chassis "four eyes":
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1986 Ford Thunderbird ELAN
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Work in progress website ---> http://carb-rebuilds-plus.boards.net/

^^Agreed, every once in a while my 3.8/c5 won't crank in Park, starts everytime (so far) in Neutral. I'll get around to cleaning up the switch eventually.

Thanks for the comments about the the starting issue. I'll give it a try the next time it happens.
    Bryan

Congratulations Bryan! I didn't get to see the Craigslist ad but the car sounds really nice. Can't wait to see pictures.

I'm gonna miss your Turbo GT unless another member gets it. I can understand how you feel about it.

Quote Originally Posted by LT-84GTturbo View Post
    Congratulations Bryan! I didn't get to see the Craigslist ad but the car sounds really nice. Can't wait to see pictures.

I'm gonna miss your Turbo GT unless another member gets it. I can understand how you feel about it.
    You can check my profile to see the photos from the CL ad. I posted them in my album last night until I take some of my own.
    Bryan

Quote Originally Posted by Walking-Tall View Post
    Hey Bryan,

Next time it doesn't crank in Park, move the shifter to Neutral and it might crank for ya then. Been there, done that with my '86 3.8/C5 'vert. The neutral safety switch in mine will still intermittently not work right even after I disassembled (had to drill the two rivets to separate the switch), cleaned the bit of sticky goo left out of it that would've been Ford's original lube in it, cleaned up the contacts, stretched the springs a little, added new grease, and reassembled with two screws. It worked fine for the longest time but I will have to check it again sometime, because it's obviously loose or still sticky or something inside, and maybe look at it's circuit wires down there too, and/or replace the switch. If you're ever stuck with no-start before you get the issue resolved, you can start the car by placing the key in the Run position and jumping the starter solenoid large terminals with a big screwdriver to get the starter spinning.
    This is the culprit?

https://www.1aauto.com/neutral-safet...=300475&y=1983
    Bryan

Yes Sir, that's it.
    Mike
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by Walking-Tall View Post
    Yes Sir, that's it.
    I'll check out how it operates when I get home tonight. If that's the issue, I'll be getting a new one right away. I did some reading online about it and the non start issue. They symptoms seem to fit. If this is all it takes to fix it, I'll be very happy. I was worried about having to go through the entire starting system to find the problem, if need be.

Thanks!
    Bryan

I operated on mine, and outlined adjusting them in post #14 in my build thread.
    Mike
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

.................If anything, I'd like to know that I can depend on it to start when I need it to. I'm not angry or frustrated, but it's less than thrilling to have it happen the same day you get it.
    Its just life telling me that I can have what I want, but it won't be perfect.
    Bryan, I can really sympathize with you.
    A few weeks ago while in Washington on vacation we purchased an 84 SVO.
    When I pulled into the driveway, Sue immediately wanted to take a closer look & have her first ride in it.

So, I opened the hood to show her how clean the engine compartment is, (in her world, that is what decides if a car is good or not). I let the hood down as I usually do on our Foxbodys, giving it that necessary little nudge to make sure it closes tight.
    It didn't latch.
    I tried again a couple of times and no latching. Guess who is a little disillusioned by now? We have owned the car for a half hour and she can't have her first ride because the hood won't latch.
    I got a wrench and tried the latch bolts and both were loose. So I began the task of trying to align the latch so the hood not only shuts, but sits squarely when closed.
    It was the next day before we got to take that ride.
    Why didn't that happen when the P.O. opened the hood to show me before we bought it?
    You answered that one above. Life in this world, isn't perfect!
    Ron
    I never seem to get the nut that holds the steering wheel fixed

I just looked at all the pics in your album. The car looks stellar, congrats!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BLK BRD 88 View Post
    Bryan, I can really sympathize with you.
    A few weeks ago while in Washington on vacation we purchased an 84 SVO.
    When I pulled into the driveway, Sue immediately wanted to take a closer look & have her first ride in it.

So, I opened the hood to show her how clean the engine compartment is, (in her world, that is what decides if a car is good or not). I let the hood down as I usually do on our Foxbodys, giving it that necessary little nudge to make sure it closes tight.
    It didn't latch.
    I tried again a couple of times and no latching. Guess who is a little disillusioned by now? We have owned the car for a half hour and she can't have her first ride because the hood won't latch.
    I got a wrench and tried the latch bolts and both were loose. So I began the task of trying to align the latch so the hood not only shuts, but sits squarely when closed.
    It was the next day before we got to take that ride.
    Why didn't that happen when the P.O. opened the hood to show me before we bought it?
    You answered that one above. Life in this world, isn't perfect!
    Ron
    Ron -

I'll tell you...when you've plunked your money down, driven it 10 miles and then it won't start...my first thought was: "no..." and then "what have I gotten myself into" When it started later, I was somewhat relieved, but then when it wouldn't start again, I realized that it was something that could be dealt with. Like you, the car had been driven multiple times by them and me and I never not started in my presence until I got it home. Thankfully, I had the presence of mind to mention it here. Since I can't search on the forum anymore, I was hoping that someone else had the same issue and had a fix. You mentioned that the part was expensive, but all the pricing I found for that part was well under $100, unless I was seeking an NOS part.
    Bryan

You can check my profile to see the photos from the CL ad. I posted them in my album last night until I take some of my own.
    I took a peek at the photos in your album. Wow that's a clean car. Nice find!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast