Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default There are times when you shouldn't look...but...

Back when I started my search for a Four Eye, I didn't want much. I was looking for something in decent shape that didn't need too much. I wanted a Ghia/GLX with a V or straight six with A/T and A/C. Something that would make a good cruiser. This being hard to find, I settled on the Turbo GT, which has been fine, but not my first choice. Some of you, no doubt, will think I'm nuts, but others that know me well, know that I want what I want. I've never stopped looking. Recently, two candidates came up that have fairly low mileage and tick off all the boxes on my list:

https://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/6151934260.html

https://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/6099691639.html

What do you know think?
    Bryan

1983 Mustang GLX Convertible

Totally digging the '83.... (sorry, kinda partial to the white and red combo...)

2 excellent candidates.
    conmech - aka Marshall
    Pending build-1983 Mercury Capri RS NOT staying as it left the showroom floor......
    Sonic blue pearl, sand beige, netted halos, FR500 wheels and shiny under the hood.

Quote Originally Posted by conmech View Post
    Totally digging the '83.... (sorry, kinda partial to the white and red combo...)

2 excellent candidates.
    That's actually the one I'm leaning towards. I like the woodgrain dash, the 4-spoke wheel and the TRX wheels and tires. The monochrome paint on the 84 grille and headlights never turned me on, but that Canyon Red cloth interior looks pretty inviting. Also, I'd have to get new wheelcovers or wheels for the 84...those cheapie silver plastic ones don't work for me.

I've been trying to get in touch with the owner of the 84, but he hasn't responded. The ad for the 83 just came up today, so I'm going to call him tomorrow. I just recently paid off my daily driver and I've got enough money to buy either one. We'll just have to see what we see.
    Bryan

Buy both and double your fun.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

If I was to get one, it would definitely be the white 83. Even though it has the vinyl interior, which I'm personally not a fan of, the car as a whole shows well and looks to be loved. The color combo and TRX's set that one apart.

I do like the sport seats in the 84, but the fact is says "needs a vacuum hose" worries me since they haven't fixed it and it's a CFI car. The wheel covers are lame also....
    Brock
    1984 Mustang LX Convertible 3.8L V-6/Auto (SOLD)
    1984 Mustang GT Hatchback 5.0 V-8/5 Speed

I'm an FEP Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

I pick the white. The 84 with no plate and " need a vacuum hose" makes me suspicious of smog passability.
    85 5.0. 68 cougar- hidden four eye.
    12 5.0
    02 6er

The 83 would be my choice too. Looks nice.

You guys bring up some good points... The 84 is supposedly registered until Aug 2017, but you're right about the hose...if it's something needed to pass and it's just a hose, why not fix it? Not to mention that the seller is required to provide a smog certificate to sell it. I also took a closer look at the photos and the bodyside molding is mismatched...some pieces have white pinstripes, the rest has red. Little things here and there that may point to a less than stellar history.

The 83 appears to be all original and well cared for with very low miles. The red vinyl interior wouldn't be my first choice, but it looks good with the white paint and top. I haven't gotten in touch yet, but it is a holiday.
    Bryan

I would avoid the 84 based upon sellers with poor taste often also have bad judgement on correcting problems.

That '83 is friggin' SWEET!!!
    '85GT Bright Atlantic Blue
    '92LX Bimini Blue-sold
    '93 COBRA Teal Metallic-sold
    '86SVO Oxford White-sold
    '86GT 'Vert True Blue-sold
    '81'GT' Medium Red-sold

Quote Originally Posted by escogt View Post
    That '83 is friggin' SWEET!!!
    Mike, I was thinking of your LX when I saw the ad. The idea of buying something original and in turnkey condition is very appealing to me these days.
    Bryan

FEP Supporter

I like the white 83 to. For such a low milage car I see the upper rad hose and the battery cables have been changed but I guess that's maintenance. The wiring over on the passenger side firewall is all out of the loom too. Otherwise from a distance it looks in VGC.

The 84 has potential but the mileage is more than double the 83 albeit a little cheaper. The console arm rest looks like it was used as a booster seat and the dash pad looks cracked. I think the seller could have uploaded just slightly bigger images to show off.

Good luck with your choice Bryan!
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis T View Post
    I think this is my favorite car on the site right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by BLUECRAPI
    This is the best thread on the internet.
    Darran
    1982-1C (Black) GT T-Top:http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...he-Road-Thread
    1986-9L (Oxford White) SVO: http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...d-did-1986-SVO
    1979 (85:Tangerine) Coupe (my son's): http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...gerine-Machine
    1979 (3F:Light Medium Blue) Coupe (one day to be my other son's!) http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...um-Blue-Bomber!

I agree with the white car. It looks nice.
    Bob in Lebanon, TN
    79 original owner six cylinder coupe
    MCA Gold Card judge for 3rd Generation cars

Update -

I contacted the owner of the '83 GLX and I will be giving it a look on Sunday. I'll let you know what I find out from there.
    Bryan

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini1999 View Post
    Update -

I contacted the owner of the '83 GLX and I will be giving it a look on Sunday. I'll let you know what I find out from there.
    Good luck Bryan. I hope it is as nice as the pictures portray it to be.
    Brock
    1984 Mustang LX Convertible 3.8L V-6/Auto (SOLD)
    1984 Mustang GT Hatchback 5.0 V-8/5 Speed

I'm an FEP Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

I agree with the low mileage 83 GLX. It appears to be a nice, well kept car and I've never had a problem with vinyl seats. They wear better than the cloth.
    "Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone driving faster than you is a maniac."
    George Carlin, Rest in peace

Rick
    84 GT Convertible
    68 Cougar XR7
    14 Ford Explorer Limited

Well...

I had a look at the '83 today. I'd by lying if I said that I wasn't impressed. It's not in showroom condition, but it is in well cared for original condition. 100 percent original, in fact. It's a one owner car...it belongs to the mom of the couple that is selling it. Mom lost her drivers license due to age and is no longer able to drive it. The couple say that they have no need for another car, so it's up for sale. The car still has the original TRX tires, but most of the tread is gone, which of course, will need replacing. Everything works, even the Amp and the stereo. The A/C compressor works, but it needs charging. The car runs well and kicks over easily when started. The quarter Windows are manual, but go up and down very smoothly.

All of the interior trim is in excellent shape...carpet, seats, dash pad, door panels, etc., are in no need of upgrading or replacement. All of the body panels are straight and smooth. Paint is in very good condition with a few minor scratches here and there..

I really want this car, but I will have to get rid of a car in the process. That's the hard part.
    Bryan

Bryan, I think you have a lot of bargaining power that you don't think you have. That '83 is obviously an incredible time capsule. BUT, at the same time it is not a desirable model at all. I realize it is desirable to YOU and there is nothing wrong with that, but most people just know 5.0 and that's all they know. So YOU are the one in this negotiation with the power here, not the seller. It is a really nice car but not one that most people have any interest in. He will have it for sale a while. So my advice is to come in low and then be willing to budge but not come all the way up to his price if it's something you want.
    Liberty once lost is lost forever.

John Adams
    July 7, 1775

Quote Originally Posted by homer302 View Post
    Bryan, I think you have a lot of bargaining power that you don't think you have. That '83 is obviously an incredible time capsule. BUT, at the same time it is not a desirable model at all. I realize it is desirable to YOU and there is nothing wrong with that, but most people just know 5.0 and that's all they know. So YOU are the one in this negotiation with the power here, not the seller. It is a really nice car but not one that most people have any interest in. He will have it for sale a while. So my advice is to come in low and then be willing to budge but not come all the way up to his price if it's something you want.
    Bryan, I agree completely with Homer.
    I have watched some nice low mile 6 cylinder, 4eyed verts in Az. sit for months and months without being sold when they were listed at considerably lower prices than this 83!
    It looks like a really sweet ride, but I would say that you have the negotiation hammer this time.
    (If you definitely want it, I hope you get it, & get it at your price!
    Ron
    Last edited by BLK BRD 88; 06-04-2017 at 07:02 PM.
    I never seem to get the nut that holds the steering wheel fixed

Yeah, I understand what you're saying about pricing and bargaining...

That other car that I posted...The red '84...that car was on CL for months prior to last Christmas. The price started at 4500 and it gradually dropped down to where it is now. Just before Christmas, the ad went away and I assumed that it had sold. Just over a month ago, it reappears at 4500 and gradually starts dropping down again. While I love the interior, the idea of having an all red car just doesn't appeal to me. That's why I never bought a GLX/LX vert before, because all the ones I saw were bright red. I owned a '67 Cougar that was single stage red...all I ever did was wash and wax the car just to keep it looking decent.

I'll tell you.. it was a weird feeling looking at this car today...a 34 year old car that has less mileage thank my '06 MX-5 and is in nearly the same shape. I don't see these everyday around here except at a car show. I didn't seem over eager about buying it. I did research pricing on NADA and it's a fair price, but just under the upper end of the range. They were so impressed with my knowledge about the car, they asked me if I was a collector. I laughed a bit and admitted that I was just an average guy making an average wage that loves this era of Mustang.

If the A/C had blown cold air and if there was a lot more tread on the TRX tires, I probably would be buying it right away. As it is, I want it, but knowing that it will need stuff despite the price tells me that I will have to think about it and that's what's told them. I told them that I would let them know by the end of the week and I will.
    Bryan

Hey Bryan have you seen this one near Tucson:
    higher miles than the two that you were looking at, but it looks nice in the pics and same owner 25 years.

https://tucson.craigslist.org/cto/6160269724.html
    Ron
    I never seem to get the nut that holds the steering wheel fixed

It's official...I am buying the white/red 1983 GLX. I was not successful in negotiating the price down...not even a little bit. I did do an Auto Check on the car and it is indeed a one owner car. I'm satisfied with what I'm getting for the price. Personally, considering the local market and the car's condition, I don't think that it's an unfair number. As much as I would like to get it immediately, this weekend just doesn't allow time, so I'll be handing over a check and picking it up the weekend of the 17th. I'll update with more photos, etc. when I get it.
    Bryan

Congrats, Bryan!!! Awesome car!!!
    '92LX Bimini Blue-sold
    '86SVO Oxford White-sold
    '81'GT' Medium Red-sold

Quote Originally Posted by escogt View Post
    Congrats, Bryan!!! Awesome car!!!
    You were my inspiration, Mike. It will be great to have a car that is in all original, low mileage condition that doesn't need any work.
    Bryan

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini1999 View Post
    You were my inspiration, Mike. It will be great to have a car that is in all original, low mileage condition that doesn't need any work.
    Thank you, sir. I appreciate that!!! Good luck with her!!
    Post pics when she arrives.
    '92LX Bimini Blue-sold
    '86SVO Oxford White-sold
    '81'GT' Medium Red-sold

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast