Close

Default Possible 83 RS Turbo project

I'm a long time lurker and I have been waiting for the right car to find me, and this weekend I stumbled across an 83 RS Turbo that is coming up at a local auction. It's not running which is a major minus, but it looks complete and straight.

I know it's rare, but also not valuable yet. I prefer the 84 interior and airdam, but I also hate to see a rare and unique car like this end up at Pick n Pull, which is where it will go if nobody wants it.

I'm well versed on the SVO, less so on the turbo GTs. I believe performance can be I increased by using all the same techniques as the SVO, add an intercooler, increase boost etc. I'm not interested in building a crazy car, more so in restoring it and driving it.

A couple questions before I go look at it:

We're all turbo GTs 5-speeds?

Should it have sport seats?

I assume the hood scoop is missing.

I can't see t-tops or a sunroof which makes me hope the interior is in restorable condition and the floors solid.

What size is the crank pulley nut so I can at least spin it to see if the engine is seized. I will also check for signs of a bad head gasket. I really don't want to rebuild an engine, but I'm happy to replace fuel pumps etc to get it running again.

I'm assuming it's worth about $500 as it sits. Which is what I will bid for it. Pick n Pull usually pays about $300.

Thoughts? Am I crazy?

A little background on me. I turned 16 on 1986 and desperately wanted a Saleen, SVO or GT Mustang. I eventually​got into Alfa Romeos and have had more than 10 over the past 25 years. I have still always wanted a Fox Mustang, and figure I better buy one before prices go nuts.

I recently picked up a barely running 1985 VW Cabriolet with a bad in tank fuel pump and easily got it running pretty easily. I will be moving that along shortly and looking for my next project. Of course I have others, a 1973 Alfa Romeo Berlina and a 1987 Alfa Romeo Milano Lemons racecar project.

Thanks!
    Ian

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Turbo GT/RS were always manual trans, except 1980 auto was optional.

Sport seats were optional.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Please please save this...that's one rare cat..
    Current rides:
    89 LX 5.0, 5 -spd..the Lemon
    86 RS Capri 5.0 Auto...
    86 LX Colorado SSP 5.0 5-spd (Sadly Sold)
    85.5 SVO, Finally Got Boost
    83 RS Capri 5.0, 5-spd (another sadly sold)

I'd grab it if you have the money and space for it.

The body looks good from the pictures, but check under the battery before making a decision. If it is rusted through then this is a much bigger job. Most parts to get it running are available either on here or TurboFord.
    I'm an FEP Paid Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

1984 Capri Turbo RS - Alive after 7 years! Build Thread
    2018 Mustang GT - daily driver

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis View Post
    Turbo GT/RS were always manual trans, except 1980 auto was optional.

Sport seats were optional.
    Thanks, that's what I thought. If it was an auto I probably wouldn't even go look at it. I can live with standard seats but I'd upgrade at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by onetrackrider View Post
    Please please save this...that's one rare cat..
    I know, unfortunately it probably won't ever be worth what an SVO is, but I hate to see a rare car get scrapped. I love the oddballs, that's part of how I ended up getting into Alfas. In California you could buy them cheap because people didn't understand them. Now some are of course going for big $.

Quote Originally Posted by ccurtin View Post
    I'd grab it if you have the money and space for it.

The body looks good from the pictures, but check under the battery before making a decision. If it is rusted through then this is a much bigger job. Most parts to get it running are available either on here or TurboFord.
    I will definitely check the battery area. Any other common areas to look for besides the usual bottoms of doors and hatch?

I looked at and passed on a $2500 86 GT recently because the floor under the driver seat had failed among other major problems.

FEP Super Member

Oregon has some of the most rust free cars around .
    You have mentioned the most common areas on a fox, for rust..
    Driver side floor cracks are common .
    I have had my 84 Gt for almost 20 years.
    It actually came from Coos Bay .
    No rust on mine .
    clowns to the left of me , Jokers to the right

I love the rear spoiler that was added, could be a ASC McLaren spoiler
    `82 Mercury Capri 5.0 4.speed / not RS
    `86 Mercury Capri

It looks like it may be. Definitely not factory. I am also assuming it wasn't ordered with a scoop.
    Dave

If common sense was common wouldn't it just be sense?

1983 Capri L T top 5.0 efi aod
    1983 Capri RS Turbo
    1981 Black Magic 400 c6
    93 F-250 351 5sp 4x4

Capri didn't have a hood scoop option like (1979-82) Mustang did. On the Capri it was either standard or it wasn't. On the 1983 Turbo RS it was standard.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis View Post
    Capri didn't have a hood scoop option like (1979-82) Mustang did. On the Capri it was either standard or it wasn't. On the 1983 Turbo RS it was standard.
    I am guessing it was removed at some point. I won't know more until I go look at it tomorrow. Unfortunately I'm space limited so if it's trashed I probably can't take it on.

There is a 'hood type' code on the buck tag. It's a two-digit number on the fifth line.

1983 Capri hood codes:
    02 = 2 vents, no scoop (L, GS, Crimson Cat)
    04 = 2 vents, scoop, no hole under scoop (RS, Black Magic)
    06 = 2 vents, scoop, hole under scoop (Turbo RS)
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

So good news and bad news. I didn't buy the car, but neither did Pick n Pull. Someone online bought it and hopefully will fix it up.

It has been sitting since 2004. The windshield had a hole, the seats were missing, it had no keys, the distributor was missing, the coil was in the trunk, but we tried pushing it and the engine did turn. The headliner and radio were gone, but the body was solid and relatively straight, just a little rust in the doors and hatch

It sold for $316 and we will see if it pops up again. Here are more photos.

It could be saved, but I need to thin my fleet before taking on something like this.

Where was this auction at?

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by 4-barrel Mike View Post
    Where was this auction at?

Mike
    Speeds Towing auction. There are a few towing auctions every month, Speeds actually posts photos and occasionally I find nice cars there (I mostly sell Subarus).

Forgot about them, it's been a while since I've done any auctions, usually Sergeants Towing.

Damn! $275 + fees: http://auctions.speedstowingauction....apri_i27285096

Mike

Too bad that wasn't in ohio.... restoring my 83 rs turbo right now.