Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default New member check in - from Sacramento CA

Hi All,

New member today. I've been on the forum as an unregistered guest checking things out for a year or two.

I don't own a mustang at this time, but I'm ready to buy one.

The ones I see priced right on Craigslist are gone within hours. Or, the ones not priced right are on perpetual relisting and never seem to sell. It's probably going to come down to timing as to when the right car comes along and getting their quickly.

Technifibre 305

I am also a new member, so welcome to the site. I hope you find a gem somewhere out there. I've already received some good pointers from other members, this is a great site. So again,Hello.

Hello,
    Welcome to the forum, glad to have you on board.
    Ron
    I never seem to get the nut that holds the steering wheel fixed

Welcome! Glad you joined. The right ride is out there for you. Keep the faith.

Thanks for the welcome.

I agree that the right car is out there. I see one that looks right, miss out on it, and then a week later see one that looks potentially better.

The right car for me would be an '85/'86. I've seen a few that might need a little more work than I want, but are otherwise solid cars (I'm a DIY guy, but I'm not sure I want to take on a massive project). But the more solid cars are just a hair more than I want to spend. Still searching for that "perfect" deal.

I'll keep you all posted if I pull the trigger.

FEP Power Member

There are cars out there. You need to keep looking. Upping your price range will get you nicer cars to pick from. Oh, welcome.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

When I joined this forum almost 7 years ago, I didn't have one either. It took me a few months, but I finally got there. It's nice to see someone local. Welcome to FEP!
    Bryan

1983 Mustang GLX Convertible

Thanks KevinK, I agree about spending a little more. I'm looking for a driver quality car.

I've seen some decent project cars in the $2500 range, but those have generally gotten no updates (needs paint, interior and running gear updates). On here I've seen the "low mileage originals" above $12k (that's not what I'm after).

So that leaves me in the $6000 range in my mind, and I'd like to find something that has at least one significant update done to it if I'm going to spend that kind of money.

Well, that's my mindset as I shop today.

FEP Power Member

I've been eyeballing that car for a few days.
    PM sent

Quote Originally Posted by KevinK View Post

Hmmm, well I thought I sent a PM but it didn't go through. Maybe because I've only got a few posts.

Anyhoo...I've got a few questions about pricing and that car in particular. I don't want to give the impression that I'm a new guy who only wants price info and will never be heard from again (that won't be the case).

Should I post questions in the "What's it Worth" section or does anyone want to offer up an opinion of the craigslist car above?

My initial impress is that for the full asking price I would prefer to see at least one of the major components to have been replaced/rebuilt (engine, trans, new paint, new interior)

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/cto/6151139604.html

Pretty sure the 3.73:1 gears were not available stock so the rear end has had work done. (Maybe upgraded to rear disk brakes ?)

A little extra gear wouldn't bother me at all. At close to 200k miles I would expect a few things have worn themselves out.

No mention of disc brakes on all four corners, but anything is possible.

Anyone recognize the car as belonging to a member here?

It's a little bit outside your range, but worth considering:

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used...ting=168878294
    Bryan

1983 Mustang GLX Convertible

When something as nice as the hatch in (post #9) shows up in your backyard it may be time to jump. If it is as nice as it appears on the ad, it probably won't be for sale very long. Obviously with 186,000 miles many things have been replaced/rebuilt over the years that the seller doesn't deem worthy to mention.

Rebuilt motors aren't always a good thing, as we all know, some mechanics replace the top end in high mileage engines and not the bottom end, or do partial valve jobs etc. These 5.0s can be driven hard, forced to do things that they weren't designed to do and are still pretty much bullet proof as long as they receive regular maintenance and aren't allowed to overheat.
    If the original paint is good on an older car then I say leave it alone.........it can only have the original paint job once. The first pic, however makes me wonder if that is the original paint?
    Don't forget, this guy is offering extra parts that are very desirable among the foxbody crowd and can easily be sold if you don't want them. jmho!
    Ron
    Last edited by BLK BRD 88; 05-30-2017 at 04:46 PM.
    I never seem to get the nut that holds the steering wheel fixed

Thanks Ron, that's a great perspective.

Thanks for the link. Never heard of "Car Gurus" website before. Kind of an odd way to sell a car. The ad says it has been listed for 80 days or so.
    I do like the look of the car and the fact that the AC was significantly updated (I live in Sacramento - HOT!) it sure makes it more appealing.

Was this car ever mentioned or discussed elsewhere in the forum? That car is priced on the higher end based on what I've seen in my searches...that usually gets people talking.

A car in that price range isn't out of the affordability range, but it's getting up there in price to the point that I would treat it differently (more cautiously) than I would a car at half the price...and I have to ask myself how nervous I want to get about parking it in public places outside of my view.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini1999 View Post
    It's a little bit outside your range, but worth considering:

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used...ting=168878294

Well, the "white" GT 1986 sold before I could check it out. Not a huge loss as I could have rushed over there to check it out and make an offer if I "had" to have it...but I had kid activities and wasn't free until Sunday...and it sold on Saturday.

I was in contact with the seller and was second in line to check it out. Apparently the first guy liked it enough to buy it. I'm not sure what it sold for.

I also got in contact with the guy selling the blue 85 GT that was linked above at the "cargurus" website. I started a thread in the "what's it worth" section. I was hoping to talk to the seller via phone but haven't heard back yet. It appears from the pictures to be a nice car, but its more than I expected to spend "up front" as my initial intent was to buy something for a lot less that needed some work that I could do myself to bring it up to a decent standard.

Anyway, the white car is the one that sold, and the blue car is the '85 (see pic, asking $8500) I'm trying to talk to the seller about.
    Name:  1985_ford_mustang.jpeg
Views: 65
Size:  431.5 KB

FEP Power Member

There was a similar blue car for sale last year. It was in excellent condition and I'm pretty sure I posted it here. The car was from Napa Valley , CA.

FEP Senior Member

I'm a few hours North of the Bay area guys (in Southern Oregon), but I can always look around this way if there's anything in Klamath Falls (craigslist, etc.). I know people in Medford also. Just need to know what you're looking for exactly, or if you have a link to a car I can see what we know about it up here. We're pretty small around the border for enthusiasts.