Close

Thread: Darth vader

Default Darth vader

A few months ago some may remember I had a mini stroke. I can't find the original thread. Anyhoo, fast forward a few months I'm pretty much ok, except anxiety stuff. But they have found a smoking gun. I have a serious sleep apnea problem, like bad enough I'm basically not sleeping. So I get a Darth Vader mask next week, super duper! Finally as I wrap this up, anyone else have this and how much better do you feel.

A friend of mine has one and he swears by it. Hope it helps. It does for him.

I have been using a Cpap machine for almost 7 years now. It helps a lot. I sleep so much better with it and the wife does not get annoyed with the snoring. Also I prefer not to use the humidifier. Some people like it. It does not seem to make a difference to me either way but without there is no daily cleaning required.
    67 Mustang Coupe
    96 Tangerine GT
    86 Saleen #179

I tried one and couldn't get used to it. I had the nose pillows and hated it. I'm a shallow breather and could not get used to trying to force the air back out through my nose against the force of the incoming air. I'm going to look at getting a mouth appliance made that repositions your lower jaw and opens your airway.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

now you need to do James Earl Jones impressions. LOL Glad your making progress.

It's kinda hard to believe, I breathe so poorly that my body over compensates by producing more red blood cells to more efficiently use the o2 I do have, except the byproduct of pudding like blood which is bad. I've been complaining of being exhausted for about 4 years, I just blamed it on the kids and an exhausting work schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by 2nd chance cobra View Post
    It's kinda hard to believe, I breathe so poorly that my body over compensates by producing more red blood cells to more efficiently use the o2 I do have, except the byproduct of pudding like blood which is bad. I've been complaining of being exhausted for about 4 years, I just blamed it on the kids and an exhausting work schedule.
    I think once you get used to it and your body goes back to normal you will be able to function better with half the sleep your getting now. Other than the snoring, the wife said I would stop breathing for a minute or two and my legs would twitch. I would doze off watching TV all the time. The last year or so it started messing with my kidneys to where I had to get up 2-3 times a night to go to the bathroom. I could drink nothing all evening and I would still have to get up in the middle of the night. All that went away after I got the machine. I can function better and am more rested with 6 hours of sleep with the cpap than I do with 10 hours without it.

Sleep apnea is a pretty serious thing. I have read that people who have it bad fall asleep at the wheel. Im glad I went and had the sleep study done. Wish I would have done it a couple years sooner.
    67 Mustang Coupe
    96 Tangerine GT
    86 Saleen #179

Good to hear they have a diagnosis. Hope you feel better!
    Jim DeAngelis
    Cornucopia of Useless Knowledge
    Connoisseur of Dearborn Ferrous Oxide
    '83 GT hatch, currently under the knife
    '79 Capri 2.3L n/a, Medium Copper metallic, survivor
    (bought from MRausch82)

I use a bipap, if I sleep without it there is such a huge difference. Trust me when I say you will feel a lot better.
    Tony

My dad snores so loud he wakes himself up, or so I've always thought. It kinda scares me, but he won't do anything about it.
    2 1986 cougars (both 4 eyed and 5.0)
    1 1987 cougar

Quick update here. After a month or so on my cpap I feel much better. Way more energy. More tolerable according to my wife. It was not easy to use and I gave up after 3 days and they reset the thing so it actually breathes with me. It's hardly noticeable now. It's a pain still for sure but the alternative is sooooo much worse

Quote Originally Posted by 2nd chance cobra View Post
    Quick update here. After a month or so on my cpap I feel much better. Way more energy. More tolerable according to my wife. It was not easy to use and I gave up after 3 days and they reset the thing so it actually breathes with me. It's hardly noticeable now. It's a pain still for sure but the alternative is sooooo much worse
    Glad to hear it is helping you out. I am so glad I got mine when I did.
    67 Mustang Coupe
    96 Tangerine GT
    86 Saleen #179

I'm happy it's working for you! My wife and i both snore and have definite cases of sleep apnea in our families, so this is always kind of on my mind. It hasn't caused us any major health problems YET, but it's a definite concern.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Look into it zephyr! I got lucky with a very minor stroke. Many aren't so lucky. I know you have heard about the "perfectly healthy" 45 year old that just dropped dead. Everyone knows one. Don't be him

I think we will.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

I have been on a CPAP for six years. It definitely helps. My symptom was extreme sleepiness. As in, I could fall asleep at a traffic light. My sleep study revealed a "mild" case of sleep apnea. My wife, on the other hand, described the classic heavy snoring and stopping breathing. I now sleep better and don't have the extreme daytime sleepiness, and my energy level is better.
    Bob in Lebanon, TN
    79 original owner six cylinder coupe
    MCA Gold Card judge for 3rd Generation cars

I have been using a CPAP for 8 years or so. I had extreme sleep apnea. My sleep study revealed that I stopped breathing for 2-3 mins. It took a while to get used to wearing it. I had to get a mask that covers both my nose and mouth due to the higher pressures that the CPAP needs to run at. The only thing that annoys me about it now is the TSA makes me take it out of my carry-on when I fly.

If your spouse or other important person in your life complains that you are snoring or stop breathing while you sleep talk to your doctor. One of these machine could save your life.
    Last edited by Mustang Marty; 07-26-2017 at 12:13 PM.
    79 Mustang Coupe - Jade Green Metallic - 5.0 5Sp - Purchased 2006
    17 Mustang Convertible - Triple Yellow Tri-Coat - 3.7l Auto - Purchased 2020
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    01 Mustang - 3.8 Auto True Blue - Oct 2001- Apr 2022 RIP
    85 ASC - McLaren 5.0 SC - ASC White - 5.0 CFI Auto - Owned 2004 - 2016
    98 Mustang - White - 3.8 5pd - Owned 1998 - 2001
    84 Mustang SSP - White - 5.0 5sp - Owned 1993 - 1998
    84 SVO - Charcoal - 2.3t 5Sp - Owned 1989 -1992
    79 Mustang Ghia - 5.0 Auto - Owned 1981 - 1986
    68 Mustang Coupe - 302 Auto, Yellow - Owned 1980 - 1981