Close

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Ok, so I have a complete ECM/PCM harness, but seem to be missing the actual part of the harness that connects to the sensors, injectors, throttle body, etc. Which harness are the sensors, throttle body, injectors connected to, versus which harness is used to connect the alternator, ignition coil, etc.?

I have a good injector harness from an 89 Mustang, any chance that it will work connected to the 86 ECM/PCM harness I have? Should be the same there, right?

Sorry, double post

Its been a few years, but pretty sure it all connects to the 10 pin "salt and pepper" connectors that clip on the back of the intake. I have a 86 s.o. engine harness i could pull and take pictures of. Its out of a cougar not a mustang though they should be pretty much the same.
    2 1986 cougars (both 4 eyed and 5.0)
    1 1987 cougar

Yes the 89 injector harness should plug right into the ECU harness (from an 86 I hope). Also the alternator get wired from the driver side harness / headlight harness.
    1986 CHP SSP Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by Ourobos View Post
    Yes the 89 injector harness should plug right into the ECU harness (from an 86 I hope). Also the alternator get wired from the driver side harness / headlight harness.
    Yes, I have an 86 specific PCM harness. As for the charging harness on the drivers side, can I just use the one that is still in the 85, or does it need to be swapped out? I am sure I have the one from the 89, but there isn't much of an advantage in the charging systems until the later model 3G alternator, right?

If that is the case, then I can do the 3G update hopefully with any of the harnesses I have.

The driver harness will work, since it was a V8 there shouldnt but much if any differences
    1986 CHP SSP Coupe

I didn't see this mentioned, but something else your '85 doesn't have that is a must: Wire an impact switch into the pump wiring. Please.
    Ed

"The Dude abides."

^ That is integrated into the tail light harness
    1986 CHP SSP Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by Ourobos View Post
    ^ That is integrated into the tail light harness
    Interesting.... so is the tail light harness the full body harness that comes back along the drivers side door sill area? I noticed the fuel pump relay ends up under the drivers seat, so is the rollover/fuel shut-off function all handled through this harness?

Yes, that harness that runs from driver kick panel back has the relay, intertia switch and tail lights on it.. It feeds almost everything from the seating backwards
    1986 CHP SSP Coupe

Ok, quick update... I think I have all of my harnesses, and have been focusing on getting the fuel tank stuff sorted out. I got a complete set of lines from an 86, but the plastic section of one of the lines is broken. I could just use fuel injection rubber hose and replace the section from the steel tubing to the fitting that connects to the rail, but wondered if others know of a kit that might make it cleaner?

Also, based on the video posted of the Pro-M fuel pump hanger, I am grabbing one of those, but wondered if they make an AN fitting hose set that goes from that hanger to the standard fuel fitting connectors that Ford uses? I looked on Pro-M's website but didn't see anything. It looks like their hanger converts the lines to 6 AN, so I would need 6AN to standard Ford connectors for the fuel filter and for the return line. Anyone know of something pre-made for that?

Thanks

You can use standard fuel line hose and EFI clamps.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/s...hoC-g0QAvD_BwE
    1986 CHP SSP Coupe

Awesome - glad to learn of your progress!

I'm still trying to find time to bolt my new motor together and drop it in. Been such a busy summer! I did manage to put about 500 miles on my 86 a few weeks ago. It ran flawlessly the entire time. Made me smile. Crazy that old E6 head 5.0 is still running after all these years of constant abuse. Will be a fun tear down and inspection when the time to build my stroker comes around.

If the plastic line is damaged you can cut out the bad section and splice in new with these Dorman fuel line unions. I have used a bunch of them over the past 3 years when I discovered them on a bunch of different cars {on my current daily driver} and they work great.

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...g&gclsrc=aw.ds
    Brian R. of Michigan
    83 TBird 5.0
    88 Ranger 2.3t
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...83-Tbird-build

Quote Originally Posted by erratic50 View Post
    Awesome - glad to learn of your progress!

I'm still trying to find time to bolt my new motor together and drop it in. Been such a busy summer! I did manage to put about 500 miles on my 86 a few weeks ago. It ran flawlessly the entire time. Made me smile. Crazy that old E6 head 5.0 is still running after all these years of constant abuse. Will be a fun tear down and inspection when the time to build my stroker comes around.
    Thats pretty cool, I have to say that these 5.0 engines really take a beating, and still perform very well for their age.

Any suggestions on the best way to determine the exact routing of the 1986 lines in my 1985? I didn't see any holes pre-drilled in the frame on the right side of the car. Originally they were fastened with pop rivets, wondering if people typically use pop rivets to add these into their car, or do you just get self-tapping sheet metal screws?

I just used the self tappers that held the factory line clamps on. You can probably watch where you screw and get them under the seats. In mine with no carpet currently, they barely poke through. Definitely not enough to go through the carpet. Maybe someday I'll use the rivets. Maybe not

Quote Originally Posted by 2nd chance cobra View Post
    I just used the self tappers that held the factory line clamps on. You can probably watch where you screw and get them under the seats. In mine with no carpet currently, they barely poke through. Definitely not enough to go through the carpet. Maybe someday I'll use the rivets. Maybe not
    Ok, I just wondered if there wasn't a manual somewhere that might show a diagram of where they mounted the lines along the frame. I may see if there is someone in a local club that has an 86 that would let me check out their car. Thanks

The clip into plastic clips along with the passenger side brake lines.
    1 1987 cougar

I put 94 sn lines on my 79. Once you crawl under there you will see see where they go

Quote Originally Posted by 2nd chance cobra View Post
    I put 94 sn lines on my 79. Once you crawl under there you will see see where they go
    Ok... I took a quick look, but that was before I had the lines in my possession. Now I have them, and the fuel tank, rear diff, etc. are all out of the way, so I'm hoping it will be pretty obvious.

Did you use pop rivets, or self-tapping screws? For people that used the self-tappers, did you get the ones with rubberized washers to prevent them from vibrating loose?

Switching gears to a different part of the swap. I won't be running an EGR in the car, so do I need to do anything to eliminate it from the harness? Is it even electronically controlled on the 1986 cars?

It is electronically controlled, and no. There is no need to delete or change anything unless an extra code bugs ya. You will need the egr spacer to mount the throttle cable though.
    1 1987 cougar

Ok perfect, one as hoping for that to be the case.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast