Close

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

I run an A9L from an 89 in my 1986 GT. It's a stock longblock with boltons. Works perfectly with the Typhoon intake and 65MM TB and 70MM Cobra MAF and headers, etc. Only problem is by a little past 6000 my car went way lean at stock fuel pressure with 19lb injectors. I remedied this with an adjustable regulator and more fuel pressure and a little less timing advance.

Just looked at my math again. 150/155 pumps from Walbro should hold up just past 400 HP at the crank.

I mentioned 190 before - it will work just fine but I just wanted to mention that my numbers were a little off. I was just modeling 400 with E85 the other day - that might be what I had on my mind still, not sure.

400 at the crank on E85 has always been my end goal once I get my next creation together. An 11.5:1 302 on E85 with a good cam and heads and turned up should be good for well north of that at 6750, but we shall see how the parts play together.

I've been very fortunate to get so much for so many miles from what little is under my hood but it's way past time.

Lately been kicking around the idea of a jump to a 9.5" block with a 427 stroker setup. Maybe a crate motor rated at 650 converted to EFI. They make a fox even more nose heavy and the parts I've accumulated would almost entirely go to waste. Talk is a lot cheaper than builds are and in the end I also want my ride to handle. Boost is a more likely phase 2 than going big cubes for me.

Thanks for all of the information, very helpful. I located an 86 harness, complete and only cut in two spots around the middle of the car, and only 3 or 4 wires, so easy to splice. erratic50, could you send me the docs you mentioned about repining? I have a couple of questions related to that, here is a list of questions that I recently ran into:

- So I finally determined what I have. I have a ProM Racing 75mm MAF housing, plus a BBK 65mm Throttle Body, and the 24# Cobra (?) injectors, and a 1993 Cobra ECU, X3Z, that is supposed to all be programmed together. Is it normal for the 75mm MAF to be paired with a 65mm TB (I guess I thought they should be the same size). Not sure what camshaft this all is tuned for, or if that matters, but that is what I have to start with. Was curious to know if this seems like a decent setup to start with. I have the TrickFlow Stage 1 camshaft that I will be running with this, along with an Edelbrock Performer EFI intake, and Edelbrock Aluminum heads with 2.02 and .1.60 valves, 60cc chambers (hoping for around 10:1 compression) Hopefully its a combo that will work well together.
    Name:  89injection8.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  36.4 KB
    Name:  89injection6.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  32.7 KB

- I wanted to know if this Cobra ECU will plug directly into the 86 ECU Plug, or will I need to repin a few wires? I know it will physically plug in, just not sure if wires need to be moved. If so, hopefully that is in the docs that you have. In the complete 1989 harness I have, I was led to believe that it was plug and play into the 1993 Cobra ECU, not sure if I would have needed to repin the 89 plug as well.

- I heard from someone on here that my 1985 Carb engine and ECU harness is actually worth some money, as some folks are using them to go back to carb in some later cars... is that true?

- Erratic50 you had mentioned in an earlier post needing to do some repining on the drivers side kick panel area for the SD to MAF swap... I didn't think that harness connected there, I figured it would be on the passenger side since that is the side the MAF is on, right?

- Finally, any idea if the complete 1989 harness I have is worth any money, and if it isn't, maybe I should just rob the MAF wiring out of it. If it is, I can sell it and just get the MAF wiring somewhere else.

black88coupe, thanks much for that video, I will look into that. Since I have their MAF, and they seem to be an authority in this area, I'll probably go with their hanger.

Thanks again for all of the help

Lots of good info in this thread: http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...or-Destruction

Good luck!

The cobra ECU is calibrated internally for 24# injectors and meter. If that's what you have, simply plug it in. If you have 19# and meter, it won't run optimally, but will run OK.
    1986 CHP SSP Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by Ourobos View Post
    The cobra ECU is calibrated internally for 24# injectors and meter. If that's what you have, simply plug it in. If you have 19# and meter, it won't run optimally, but will run OK.
    Perfect.... Any idea if the ECU Pins are the same between the 86 harness and later harnesses? I am hoping that I don't need to do any repining at the ECU plug.

Quote Originally Posted by JTurbo View Post
    Lots of good info in this thread: http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...or-Destruction

Good luck!
    Excellent thread... started reading through it.... thanks.

The only pins you really have to worry about are the o2 plugs. They are different between auto and stick and change a bit through the years. Everything else "should" line right up, color for color.
    2 1986 cougars (both 4 eyed and 5.0)
    1 1987 cougar

That fuel pump video is a must watch! Really speaks to the importance of a properly sized pump vs return line. Routing the return to the bottom of the tank is an easy peezy mod to a stock hanger but once your fuel flow is greater than your return line capacity you are out of luck on regulation pressure. The aftermarket fuel pump hangers become critical when you get into large pumps.

I'll track down my doc from when I did my MAF conversion. Where would you like me to email it? PM me.

There are leads to tap into in the drivers side kick panel and the wire colors are all way off on many 86's.

Ive always stayed with Cobra 70MM MAF paired with a 65. Airflow is nearly identical between these from a CFM perspective. It's also what the 93 Cobras had. (Whereas 86's had 58MM throttle body and no MAF, 87-88 had 60MM and no MAF, 89-93 had 58MM MAF and 60MM to)

Reality is many other combos will be fine as long as the MAF calibration is normal and the injectors match the program in the ECU. You can fool the ECU to an extent with a recalibrated MAF but it costs you ignition timing which vastly decreases peak performance vs a correctly setup EFI.
    Last edited by erratic50; 06-15-2017 at 10:45 PM.

Great to hear.... so it sounds like the programming should be fine with most aftermarket camshafts, assuming they aren't too radical?

I sent you a PM

Also, I got the 1986 harness tonight, and its totally trashed. So, I am on the lookout for a good used 1986 harness. I'll post something in the wanted section and see if I can locate one. Besides being all hacked up, he didn't have the engine harness. Is there any chance the 1989 engine harness would pair up to the hacked up harness I just got off of the 1986?

Big factor is LCA. Too little separation and you'll go to EFI tuning jail.

I'd have to look at my cam card but mine is 2 degrees less separation than a stock 5.0 if I remember right.

Comp does a good job of discussing variables and identifying what will work.

the stock cobra cam left a lot on the table. They tried to regain some low end torque with more separation but gave up a ton of power to do it compared to cobra heads and intake on a stock HO shortblock.

I think the Trick Flow Stage 1 has 112 degrees of Love Separation, whereas I think stock was 114, so hopefully I'm in the safe range.

You're in good shape. I think tuning jail starts at 109 if memory serves me correctly.

several tuners I've spoke with have said the following is a good cam for 3.55:1 or lower rear gears and a 302-306 CID engine running EFI

http://www.compcams.com/Company/CC/c...csid=1054&sb=0

Quote Originally Posted by Haystack View Post
    The only pins you really have to worry about are the o2 plugs. They are different between auto and stick and change a bit through the years. Everything else "should" line right up, color for color.
    That is great news. So it looks like I have a good engine bay to PCM/ECU harness from an 86, and it looks like I can get an engine harness from Mike'sVO86. Is the 02 sensor harness on the engine harness? If so, since the harness that Mike has is from an auto, I may need to change out the plugs like you mentioned.

Other than these two harnesses, do I need the dash harness, or can I use the nice one that I currently have from my 85? I didn't think they were much different. I think the only other harness I need is the fuel pump harness, right? I have the tank harness, so I should only need the piece that goes from the front to the back, which I think travels along the drivers side of the car? I could be mistaken. Not sure how the fuel pump relay plays into all of this, but that may be why the dash harness is still needed.

Thanks in advance for the help

Quote Originally Posted by erratic50 View Post
    several tuners I've spoke with have said the following is a good cam for 3.55:1 or lower rear gears and a 302-306 CID engine running EFI

http://www.compcams.com/Company/CC/c...csid=1054&sb=0
    That is super close to the Trick Flow, about the only difference I can see is in relation to the LC, the one you mentioned is stock at 114, Trick Flow is 112. I am running 3.73 gears, which should match up well.

You bet, will be great!

As for the 60 pin connector at the ECU, you will need to repin the 86 harness for mass air. Simple write up here :

https://www.stangnet.com/2002/01/23/...ir-conversion/
    1986 CHP SSP Coupe

I forwarded my 86 MAF conversion doc via email. Mine has worked perfectly for me. I threw on a Typhoon intake the did a MAF conversion. I threw in an A9L ECU, 65MM converted Explorer TB and EGR spacer, a 70MM MAF, plumbed it all up, and hit the switch. It started like it was just running 30 seconds ago. it's ran great with this setup for several years now, albeit I had to increase fuel pressure to try to overcome a lean condition beyond 5800.

I forwarded my 86 MAF conversion doc via email. Mine has worked perfectly for me. I threw on a Typhoon intake the did a MAF conversion. I threw in an A9L ECU, 65MM converted Explorer TB and EGR spacer, a 70MM MAF, plumbed it all up, and hit the switch. It started like it was just running 30 seconds ago. it's ran great with this setup for several years now, albeit I had to increase fuel pressure to try to overcome a lean condition beyond 5800.
    That is awesome! Exactly what I am hoping for... I got the docs, thanks much.

With your 24's and cam it's important to have a A/F gauge. Fuel pumps and pickups have ratings but engines don't run ratings, they run fuel.

My engine with upgraded induction, headers, and open exhaust seems to be at the edge of what my 19lb/hr injectors can deliver. 24's will definitely help you but I'd watch it - no reason to pop a head gasket on a perfectly good motor.

Ok, so I got the ECM/PCM harness this weekend, and found two issues that need to be resolved. The 3-wire loom that runs over to the drivers side was cut before the plug, so I will scab that off of another harness, and also, in the process of inspecting everything, I found this neutral/ground relay wire cut and the cap of the relay is gone. Any idea what relay this is?

Name:  relaywiring1.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  95.8 KBName:  relaywiring2.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  141.7 KB

AC WOT cut off relay
    1986 CHP SSP Coupe

That fuel pump video is a must watch! Really speaks to the importance of a properly sized pump vs return line. Routing the return to the bottom of the tank is an easy peezy mod to a stock hanger but once your fuel flow is greater than your return line capacity you are out of luck on regulation pressure. The aftermarket fuel pump hangers become critical when you get into large pumps.
    Yes it is. Very eye opening.
    1985 GT- “Stock-ish” 5.0 motor, AOD/ trans brake. 12.68 @ 10131mph.

Quote Originally Posted by Ourobos View Post
    AC WOT cut off relay
    Ok, perfect, so since I am not running A/C I can probably eliminate it from the harness and not have to worry about fixing the gnawed wiring. Any suggestions on how to eliminate it so as to not create any new issues? I can trace it back into the main harness first, and see where the wires go. I'd like to really simplify the harness in any way I can.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast