Close

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Fuel Injection Swap questions

So, I ended up getting a really good deal on an ported fuel injection manifold, large throttle body, BBK spacer, with harness, larger injectors, ecu, etc, etc. to install into my 1985 GT. I was going to just stick with a double pumper, but the deal I got was only about $100 more than the carb by itself, so in my opinion, it was worth it to just make the switch. I will still need a fuel pump, but that brings me to my questions.

My car came with the fuel tank in the rear hatch area, not installed in the car, and I wanted to post a pic and see if anyone can tell me if its a carbureted tank, or fuel injected tank. I believe that its the original tank, but not sure.

Next question is, can I just install a Walbro or whatever most would recommend, into this tank, or does the tank need to be swapped out? Which pump do most recommend, and I am guessing that a plat is just installed over where the factory engine mounted pump was?

Finally, I have found a couple threads with questions about doing this complete swap in an early fox body, but was wondering if anyone had a link they could share with a complete DIY?

As always, thanks in advance for you your advice.

Here is a pic of the tank:
    Name:  fueltank.jpg
Views: 588
Size:  91.0 KB

That appears to be a EFI tank already. One plug is for the fuel gauge and the other has the hanger with pump. Just swap on a fresh pump and go. However depending on the year of that tank the fuel gauge might not read correctly since between 88-90 Ford changed the OHM readings on the fuel level senders
    Brian R. of Michigan
    83 TBird 5.0
    88 Ranger 2.3t
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...83-Tbird-build

FEP Super Member

I have been told to use the 86 sending unit , when doing the swap .
    clowns to the left of me , Jokers to the right

Awesome! I am hopeful that is an FI tank. There is another electrical plug on the back of the tank as well... not sure what that is for.

I read the same thing about using the 1986 fuel tank sender. I found out that the harness I am using is from an 89 GT, so that means it has the MAF instead of the speed density setup. Should make it easier for tuning. Anyone have any pointers for splicing the harness, or is it plug and play at any extent (hoping that is the case).

It would be easiest to get the closest year harness, incremental changes by year included wiring and connector changes. However, all the wores should be there and should be able to be spliced over.
    2 1986 cougars (both 4 eyed and 5.0)
    1 1987 cougar

Be sure to post a build thread! I love me some EFI swaps!
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

When swapping EFI into a non-efi vehicle, you will need the wire diagrams for both the donor and recipient. You can get the diagrams for your 85 from the electrical forum on this site. I found the one for my swap harness from a chiltons manual but, you will need to magnify it. I printed the diagrams for both on 11x17 paper. I also found this site to be useful http://www.rowand.net/Shop/Tech/FordEFISwap.htm.
    Dave

If common sense was common wouldn't it just be sense?

1983 Capri L T top 5.0 efi aod
    1983 Capri RS Turbo
    1981 Black Magic 400 c6
    93 F-250 351 5sp 4x4

Personally I would put the 1989 harness up for sale and track down a 1986 then complete the MAF conversion on the 86 harness. Too many changes after 86 to make the 89 harness "easy". You'll essentially create a wiring nightmare otherwise.

LMR sells the 86 specific fuel senders new and they work great.

I've always had good luck with walbro pumps. Get one that supports your planned horsepower plus just a little bit-- a 255 pump is rarely the right answer. These days I rarely see value in on bigger than 190 and more often I end up recommending a 155 based upon the engine in the car and it's performance.

Why? The fuel that doesn't get used circulates back to the tank over and over. with any EFI pump the fuel is what cools it so you pick up exhaust and road heat that can lead to vapor lock - ask me how I know! My other pointer is try not to run below 1/4 tank on hot days. Insulating your lines - especially near the exhaust- will help avoid problems too. Usually not needed with stock lines and a correctly sized pump except in places like Wichita or Dallas or Houston that often get stupid hot in summer.

If you are going deep into your 85 for other reasons anyway you could always swap in a full harness for an 86. Painless sells them new. They may even do the MAF conversion for you. Having OE quality or better wiring in new condition is at times nearly priceless. even though there is nothing "wrong" with my 86 right now I will likely put in a painless harness when I redo my old rust bucket 86 GT.

erratic50, thanks much for your insight, its much appreciated. So, just to clarify a couple things.... First, when you say to get an 86 harness and convert it to MAF, how much of the harness should I get? Just engine, or should I grab the whole thing so that I have the tank wiring? I have the inside of the car gutted, so I could do a complete harness now, and I have used Painless in the last, and they do great work. Normally I just get it from a vendor like Summit, but I would probably need to speak directly to Painless to get the MAF built in, right? I assume the ECU plug is the same for 1986 to 1993?

Second, you mentioned sizing the fuel pump correctly... I currently have a 24# injector setup, Cobra ECU, mildly ported intake manifold, 65mm BBK throttle body and adjustable fuel pressure regulator. Planning on running the Stage 1 Trick Flow camshaft (only like .510 lift with 1.6 RR), and some aluminum heads... hoping for around 10:1 compression, with headers, and 2.5" exhaust. Nothing crazy. So, not sure which fuel pump would serve me best.

Final question... which may also calculate into my fuel pump sizing.... I see a lot of folks running 30# injectors with the 70mm or 75mm throttle body. What modifications dictate what size injectors should be run with which setup? In other words, when should I be looking at 30# injectors vs 24#, and should the 70mm or 75mm be paired up with the 30#, or is 70mm better than the 65mm that I have running with my 24# injectors?

Thanks again for the help, its much appreciated.

I'm hoping for around 350 hp, not sure if thats a reasonable expectation or not.

From an 86 5.0, you'll need the EFI ECU harness in the engine bay on the passenger side, you'll need the tail light harness that runs from driver kick panel back to the rear of the car - it integrates the fuel pump relay. That harness will plug into your mystery harness on the back of that tank. You could possibly even need the driver's side engine harness, but I think you're OK with the 85 one that's in there..
    1986 CHP SSP Coupe

Will the 89 EFI ECU harness work, will it separate from the rest of the harness, or should I just find the 86 harness?

FEP Super Member

I bave used the 89 harness many times , as it can be used as a stand alone .
    None of the gauges or the lights come into play with the 89.
    clowns to the left of me , Jokers to the right

FEP Senior Member

Good luck on this swap. I'm doing the same thing ('92 v8 stuff into an '80 car).