Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Water pump swap info needed. Change from reverse rotation to clock wise rotation.

I have an '85 Mustang 5.0 engine with the stock serpentine belt set-up. I've eliminated the power steering pump and all of the emissions equipment. There are now just three pulleys to work with, no tensioner.

I've looked everywhere and found that the ribbed belt can't be used without a tensioner with the reverse rotation water pump, even if the alternator/belt is adjusted tightly. Seems to throw the belt after a hundred miles.

The alternative looks to be converting the pulleys to V-belt with an early clock wise rotation water pump. I know that I can swap out the timing cover for an earlier version that accepts the early water pump but was wondering/hoping that a clockwise rotation pump was available that would fit on to and work with the later '85 timing cover.

Any such thing or am I doomed to either fitting an easy timing cover or possibly finding an aftermarket tensioner that's affordable. The stock tensioner/bracket/etc. is a bit ugly, awkward, and expensive and is also the bracket that holds the alternator, smog pump, and tensioner as well.

Any help at all would be great !

Thnaks—
    Last edited by Littlecharlot; 05-26-2017 at 11:48 PM.

I only have three pulleys on mine as well.

I'm using the ribbed belt with a clockwise rotation water pump I bought at Auto Zone 10 years ago. I've never had a problem with it throwing belts. I think it's this one:

http://www.autozone.com/cooling-heating-and-climate-control/water-pump/duralast-new-water-pump/61177_381126_25645

408/T5/3.73's

We're not fast racers, we're more what's known as half fast racers.

85+ 5.0 Crown Vics had a clockwise rotating water pump and grooved serpentine pulley. I'm even using that pulley on the 400 in my 81 Black Magic.
    Dave

If common sense was common wouldn't it just be sense?

1983 Capri L T top 5.0 efi aod
    1983 Capri RS Turbo
    1981 Black Magic 400 c6
    93 F-250 351 5sp 4x4

Did you have to use the CrownVic crank pulley? I've got the CrownVic waterpump pulley and it's 1/2" larger than the stock one. Eyeballing it, it looks like it may hit the stock crank pulley. I know the CrownVic crank pulley was 1/2" smaller but I haven't been able to get my hands on one.

Quote Originally Posted by mustangxtreme View Post
    85+ 5.0 Crown Vics had a clockwise rotating water pump and grooved serpentine pulley. I'm even using that pulley on the 400 in my 81 Black Magic.
    My '81 302 Mercury Marquis Brougham (Crown Vic's cousin) also had a clockwise water pump and grooved serpentine pulley, so this application began prior to '85+.
    Mike
    1986 Mustang convertible ---> BUILD THREAD
    Past Fox-chassis "four eyes":
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1986 Ford Thunderbird ELAN
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Work in progress website ---> http://carb-rebuilds-plus.boards.net/

Think that these clock wise rotation water pumps will fit the '85 timing cover OK? The ports inside the covers seem to be configured every which way depending on the year and type.

Found this chart on-line showing the various orientation of the water ports in the timing cover.

http://www.hotrodders.com/gallery/da...over_Chart.jpg

Looks like they're all different, I imagine that the water pumps are different as well. Seems like I'll have to be careful which one I buy, could use all of the help and info that you guys could share ! ! !

Thanks—

I just purchased a new clockwise water pump and pulley a couple weeks ago. I went with the Crown Vic water pump. The parts store may try to sell you the wrong one, but you can take your timing cover in and match up the bolt pattern. Some extensive research and I found "Auto Specialties Underdrive Water Pump Pulleys 820021" at Summit for around $52. It has 2 different bolt patterns, one of which will fit the water pump.

That looks SWEET ! !

Did your engine originally come with a reverse rotation pump? I'm going to pull my water pump this weekend and just bring the gasket on into the parts store with me rather than pull the timing cover and drag that on in. Maybe bring the original reverse rotation pump as well to double check the orientation of ports as well, make sure that they match the Crown Vic pump.

Do you remember what year Crown Vic pump you bought ?

Quote Originally Posted by Littlecharlot View Post
    Think that these clock wise rotation water pumps will fit the '85 timing cover OK? The ports inside the covers seem to be configured every which way depending on the year and type.

Found this chart on-line showing the various orientation of the water ports in the timing cover.

http://www.hotrodders.com/gallery/da...over_Chart.jpg

Looks like they're all different, I imagine that the water pumps are different as well. Seems like I'll have to be careful which one I buy, could use all of the help and info that you guys could share ! ! !

Thanks—
    The Mustang 289/302/5.0 timing covers were largely the same from '65 all the way up through '85, and the water
    pump pads were identical all the way up through '93. Didn't matter whether it was CW or CCW rotation. Now, the
    '95 cover -is- rotation-specific, because those had a completely different pump design. But if you're using a Fox-era
    front cover, you can put either type of pump on it.
    Last edited by JACook; 05-26-2017 at 04:22 PM.
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    '68 Vert, Mexican block 307 4-speed... '71 Datsun 510 ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune

Thanks for all of the help and research ! ! !

Another problem solved thanks to you guys and this forum—

Checked out the '85 Crown Vic water pump yesterday and it didn't match up with the '85 clock-wise rotation pump at all. The top was similar, the ports could (maybe) be modified, but the bottom was completely different and would never mount up to the timing cover. Maybe the Crown Vic timing cover is ALSO required but not mentioned? Anyone know if the Crown Vic timing cover will match up to the Mustang 5.0 block?

Maybe looking for some empirical knowledge from someone who's already performed the swap . . .

Any other options other than putting out for the Ford racing pump?

I looked around and saw that the cost of a Ford racing pump, new timing cover, gaskets, bolts, sealant, pulley, etc. will come to about the same amount that I paid for the entire Mustang.

Beginning to long for the simplicity of the SBC. Unchanged for 25-30 years. Why would Ford need to change the timings cover and water pump just to eliminate the fuel pump hole, would think that a simple modification to the casting would suffice . . . trying to hide it a bit, but getting frustrated.

I have the LTD pulleys on my engine, I'm running an early style timing cover and pump with it.
    Last edited by BMW Rider; 05-29-2017 at 07:04 PM.

FEP Power Member Jerry peachuer's Avatar

PM sent let me know if it made it good luck

Main thing is the guide ridge on the outside edge of the pulley. My stock early production 86 has the ridged pulley whereas my sons late production 86 and my wife's old 89 droptop do not have the ridge.

Shrug - who knows why anyone decided these things.

There is an article in hotrod magazine's May issue that may be of interest.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Is that the current May issue or last years? If last years, what would you need to get in order to Xerox that article and mail it off to me, or maybe scan it and email the pages?

Seems like everything that I'll need to know is right there waitin' for me !

THANKS ! ! ! !

I'll mail it to you. Pm your address

Name:  20160523_120529.jpg
Views: 1370
Size:  138.1 KBWeighing in here with my setup on my '85 GT. Kept reverse rotation and just moved alternator to driver's side with a kit from Breeze Automotive. Been trouble free.
    Last edited by QTRMILGT; 06-02-2017 at 09:58 AM. Reason: added pic

QTRMILGT - that is so simple. Ever run into trouble with heat- wondering if there is enough surface area turning the pump.

I like that set-up. The alternator doesn't get in the way of the heater bypass hose like they often do when mounted on the passenger side.

Could go longer belt and one bolt over for more contact. Extremely simple, awesome setup for a hotrod or race car.

Me personally - mine is going to continue to have all the factory stuff including AC.

I have considered going to an electric water pump and fan setup - maybe someday.
    Last edited by erratic50; 06-03-2017 at 03:15 PM.

No problems. I run a Be Cool radiator w/dual electric fans. With 4:11 gears, I drove the turnpike last year from Toledo to Cleveland. No temp issues and, apparently, no belt slippage. I do carry a spare belt, but that's more me than anything else.

Yea - I've always carried a spare belt too. Speaking of which, I need one now that I have under-drive pulleys.

Its been 20 years since I've needed it but my policy has always been keep the old belt I just took off every time I replace one. I rotate my spare and toss the oldest one.

I've only ever needed it one time. At 3:30 AM... in the middle of nowhere. Swapped belts by feel in the dark using just what little light there was from the moon on a cloudy night. Was happy to have that spare. Back then there were no cell phone towers in the sticks.
    Last edited by erratic50; 09-07-2017 at 11:00 PM.

Anyone know where to buy the shorter ribbed "fan belts" other than from Breeze Automotive?

Thanks ! !

TC

Any decent auto parts store should be able to get you whatever length belt you need.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast