Close

Default Timing marks dont line up

Hello
    I picked up a 302 off Craigslist for my new project and I replaced the timing set and the timing marks dont line up, nothing got moved. How to I get them aligned?
    Thanks

FEP Power Member Jerry peachuer's Avatar

Timing marks on the cam and crank gear (dot to dot)?) I think you may have confused top dead center (compression) and your possibly on top dead (exhaust)
    stroke
    Just a thought

yes dot to dot, I just took the old gear and chain off and replaced it with a new one

Unless it's a super cheap inferior timing set, they should line up fine.. To do it properly you should degree them as well
    1986 CHP SSP Coupe

Motor was just running and driving yesterday just wanted to freshen it up.

FEP Power Member Jerry peachuer's Avatar

I would start at TDC and line them up. Not saying any other way is impossible but why complicate it

Also you can take dizzy cap off and take a look where your rotor is to be certain you're on or near TDC

Good point above about the lesser quality chain sets also

Did the old timing set have multiple key ways?

With the crank key straight up the, the cam dowel should be straight down for tdc compression. Then if you rotate crank once the cam dowel will be straight up.

SBF 306, something doesn't sound right. Have you tried to install the original parts to see if the timing marks line up? If the old parts line up then the new parts are probably defects. Can you post a picture of the misaligned timing chain and gears?

Not sure I understand the question... but...
    Nothing got moved? Didn't you move the crankshaft to #1 TDC before beginning, or when you got down to or were at the timing set? YOU get them aligned... by rotation of the crankshaft, if not already at #1 TDC (key/keyway at 12-o'clock), and then installing the chain and camshaft gear, rotating the camshaft gear (and camshaft, obviously) to wherever is necessary to align the timing set marks... which creates the #1 TDC compression stroke.
    Mike
    1986 Mustang convertible ---> BUILD THREAD
    Past Fox-chassis "four eyes":
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1986 Ford Thunderbird ELAN
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Work in progress website ---> http://carb-rebuilds-plus.boards.net/

Got the timing all figured out today thanks everyone for your help