Close

Thread: Leaking coolant

Default Leaking coolant

Hello I'm new here and trying to solve a leaking coolant problem in my 83 gt. It has the original but built 5.0 in it. The coolant appears to be leaking from the oil pan gasket but it is hard to tell. I changed the oil less then 500 miles ago and the coolant was leaking then but there was no coolant in the oil? All I can see is that it drips off the oil pan gasket and down to the front sway bar. Maybe its from somewhere else that I can't see. Seems to only leak when the car is warmed up to normal running temperature. Any sort of help would be greatly appreciated!

FEP Super Member

The water pump would be my first gess.
    clowns to the left of me , Jokers to the right

The symptoms you describe point to the water pump. There is weep hole in the bottom of the water pump. When the seal goes bad, coolant will drip from the hole and run down the front of the engine and potentially the stabilizer bar.

^^what he said. You can be sure that the coolant is coming from someplace above where you see it dripping, you'd never get clear coolant coming out of the oil pan as it's full of oil . The water pump has little weep holes in the bottom of it to allow coolant that passes by the seals to escape, most likely it's coming out of the bottom of the pump and running along the lip of the oil pan. It's possibly coming from a fitting above, but you'd see coolant on top of the intake, or other places running down the block if that were the case. If the bolts come out in one piece, it's a pretty easy job, just make sure you get the right pump with the correct rotation. If the bolts don't come out in one piece, well, let's say hope for the best.

Alright that was actually what I was hoping for was the water pump. I'll have to take a closer look at it and see if I can see anything. What's with the correct rotation? Shouldn't an oem water pump work or does it have to be something special?

Blog Entries

Small caviat to the above- while I agree it sounds like the pump, it is also possible it could be running down from the heater hose in the intake, the thermostat housing,or the bypass hose, or even the front of the intake. Take a small mechanics mirror, and look at the underside of the pump. If it is gone, you will also probably see staining coming out of the weep hole, or even possibly a drop of antifreeze.
    1983 Mustang G.T. No-option stripper- I like strippers.
    5.0, GT40P heads, Comp Cams XE270HR-12 on 1.6 rockers, TFI spring kit, Weiand 174 blower, Holley 750 mechanical secondarys, Mishimoto radiator, Edelbrock street performer mechanical pump, BBK shortys, T-5 conversion, 8.8 rear, 3.73 gears, carbon fiber clutches, SS Machine lowers, Maximum Motorsport XL subframes, "B" springs.

iming chain cover gasket
    2 1986 cougars (both 4 eyed and 5.0)
    1 1987 cougar

Quote Originally Posted by Haystack View Post
    Timing chain cover gasket
    ^^^^ This is what mine was. The pump on mine is good and everything else checked out but it still leaked right on the drivers side and sprayed the sway bar. I found the bolts were loose and also missing one. Tightened the bolts and replaced the missing one and all has been well since.
    Brock
    1984 Mustang LX Convertible 3.8L V-6/Auto (SOLD)
    1984 Mustang GT Hatchback 5.0 V-8/5 Speed

I'm an FEP Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

If it's the timing cover, there are a couple of places to check.

At the top of the cover, there is a pocket on each side formed by the water passages and the way the cover goes over the cam sprocket. Coolant can collect there.

At about the middle of the cover, at the base of the water pump there is a small weep hole. If there is a leak between the water pump and the cover there is a small potential for it to come out there, run over the crank seal and run along the oil pan gaskets.

I'm in the final stages of replacing the timing cover and will detail my adventure in a new post.
    W

As always, "It ain't what you don't know that gets you, it's what you think you know that just ain't so."

I had the same thing happen over the weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Close up of weep hole

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The pump on mine is good and everything else checked out but it still leaked right on the drivers side and sprayed the sway bar. I found the bolts were loose and also missing one. Tightened the bolts and replaced the missing one and all has been well since.
    If your front cover bolts are loose and the gaskets are leaking, they are most likely already on the way out. Tightening the bolts back up may fix the leak for a while but it will be back.
    Dave

If common sense was common wouldn't it just be sense?

1983 Capri L T top 5.0 efi aod
    1983 Capri RS Turbo
    1981 Black Magic 400 c6
    93 F-250 351 5sp 4x4

The pump on mine is good and everything else checked out but it still leaked right on the drivers side and sprayed the sway bar. I found the bolts were loose and also missing one. Tightened the bolts and replaced the missing one and all has been well since.
    If your front cover bolts are loose and the gaskets are leaking, they are most likely already on the way out. Tightening the bolts back up may fix the leak for a while but it will be back.
    Dave

If common sense was common wouldn't it just be sense?

1983 Capri L T top 5.0 efi aod
    1983 Capri RS Turbo
    1981 Black Magic 400 c6
    93 F-250 351 5sp 4x4

I also did a water pump in the last few days. Everything went fine until i put it all back together. Somehow i ripped the gasket. Had to wait till morning and do it again. I had an old gasket set and used that gasket. It was much thincker.
    2 1986 cougars (both 4 eyed and 5.0)
    1 1987 cougar

I have ordered a new water pump along with new gaskets for that and the timing cover. I did find a couple loose bolts/studs on the water pump and tightened them up carefully about half a turn or more and it did help. It hasn't leaked much sense then