Close

Thread: Door problems

Default Door problems

Just got my registration and insurance for the first time in eight years getting ready to drive my Mustang for the first time in a long time and I'm pulling my car out to charge the battery and the door catches on the truck on the left and Bends the door around and hits the fender now the door won't close happy times. Has anybody else dealt with this do I need just a new door or has the hinge bent the frame. Pretty excited about driving my car for the first time in a long time and now this happens I hope you all can feel my anger I'm holding it back.
    Sad times

CRAP!!!!

That sucks! Sorry to hear that! Most likely the damage is to the door and not hinge post. It is possible, but I doubt the hinge post is damage, but more likely it tweaked the hell out of either the hinges themselves or the door structure where the hinges are welded to.

Most likely a new door and possibly a fender will fix the issues. Pictures would help to determine what is actually messed up. Good Luck with the repairs and hope you get to drive it soon!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Will 1988 gt conv doors work on my ttop 1985? I hear the glass is shorter but im wondering about the mirrors?

Mirrors are going to be different on the 88.
    MCA #110307
    "Saved" 25k mi 83 GT - http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...ght=Wrecked+GT
    83 GT T Top
    83 GT Convt
    84 20th Anniversary T Top GT350 SOLD 11/17
    84 GT Convt SOLD 08/18

Quote Originally Posted by ahgrafx View Post
    Will 1988 gt conv doors work on my ttop 1985? I hear the glass is shorter but im wondering about the mirrors?
    IMHO it's not worth the trouble.

The 88+ convertible doors use a full length glass without the mirror post as on the 87 and earlier cars. So in order to use your existing glass you would have to fabricate the mirror post section on to the convertible door itself.

Bottom line it is much easier to use a standard full window frame door, cut off the top window frame , and swap out the internals from your door including the glass to make everything work. That is exactly what I did with my 82 GT T-top car when the driver's door was rusted beyond repair. Best of Luck!
    ​Trey

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

What years will match up?
    If the door was an 85 or 86 covertible door would it work?
    Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    IMHO it's not worth the trouble.

The 88+ convertible doors use a full length glass without the mirror post as on the 87 and earlier cars. So in order to use your existing glass you would have to fabricate the mirror post section on to the convertible door itself.

Bottom line it is much easier to use a standard full window frame door, cut off the top window frame , and swap out the internals from your door including the glass to make everything work. That is exactly what I did with my 82 GT T-top car when the driver's door was rusted beyond repair. Best of Luck!

85/86 t-top will be a direct swap. The t-top glass is specific - differs from convertible and hard top in length.
    1986 CHP SSP Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by ahgrafx View Post
    What years will match up?
    If the door was an 85 or 86 covertible door would it work?
    A convertible door will work for the shell, but you will need to swap the glass over.
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Thats what im trying yo figure out if the only option without cutting anything is only with an 85 or 86 ttop or ragtop door. I Jane the old glass so that's no problem but i don't want to have to cut and weld anything.
    A convertible door will work for the shell, but you will need to swap the glass over.

If you don't want to modify or cut anything than you need a door from either a convertible or a T-top car.

Verts from 83-86 will work just fine, but again you will need to swap the T-top glass over as the convertible glass is different.

The 81-86 T-top doors will work just fine and should essentially be a direct swap.

The 87 T-top and convertible doors with the mirror mounted on the window frame will work also, but there are differences in the shell due to the trim changes and the interior trim differences. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Thanks trey
    If you don't want to modify or cut anything than you need a door from either a convertible or a T-top car.

Verts from 83-86 will work just fine, but again you will need to swap the T-top glass over as the convertible glass is different.

The 81-86 T-top doors will work just fine and should essentially be a direct swap.

The 87 T-top and convertible doors with the mirror mounted on the window frame will work also, but there are differences in the shell due to the trim changes and the interior trim differences. Good Luck!

My buddy did the reg framed doors and cut the window frame off. Just use your door as a refference and cut the donor doors.
    Keith formerly STLPONDS
    '79 V8 coupe in the works!
    Build thread http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=89153