Close

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

You can snag a pair off any SN95 from 94-04 much cheaper if you have some in a local junk yard. Good luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    You can snag a pair off any SN95 from 94-04 much cheaper if you have some in a local junk yard. Good luck!
    Great idea, and there are plenty of those in the yards still.
    85 GT Hatchback, T-Tops. 2012 Coyote 5.0L Swap, T56 Magnum, GT550 Dept of Boost kit, with Eaton M122 SC, RAM 11" Powergrip clutch, BBK Long Tubes/OR X-Pipe, Flowmaster Axle Back, Stifflers DS Loop, and Rear X-member, AJE Tube Crossmember with AJE-Mod Mounts, 3.73 Posi 8.8, 5 lug Cobra 13" fr and 12.6" rear disc swap, 2004 Hydroboost Swap, MM SubFrame Connectors, MM Panhard Bar, MM front A-Arms, MM rear control arms, MM CC Plates, MM Coilovers w/Koni dampeners, MM Torque Arm (soon to be installed).

Got some more stuff done today. Got the inertia switch mounted. I found the connector on the harness, then after digging through all of my harnesses, I found the switch. In the 85 cars, they had the divets for the mounting screws, so it made it easy to mount in the factory location.

Attachment 116014

I got the whole back harness installed with all new bulbs, and routed the fuel pump harness through the floor, so should be ready to install the tank tomorrow.

I also got all of the stuff for my battery box relocation, and it all looks great, except that the order got mixed up, and I got 14 feet of the ground wire, and 6 feet of the power wire. Ordered the right stuff, and will get to start that next week.

I also got the bulkhead connector, totally stoked about this. This will go through the firewall just below the heater box, and will allow me to make a right angle turn as the battery cable goes through the firewall, and then will go to the starter solenoid that will be tucked behind the strut tower (or possibly inside the fender... not sure where yet). On the plus side, I will have lots of ground cable to provide good grounds from the engine to the chassis. Got a large uni-bit ordered, to bore out the hole in the firewall for the bulkhead connector. Hoping it will be here Monday, and I'll post some pics of how it looks installed.

Attachment 116015

Attachment 116016

Attachment 116017
    Last edited by vdubn; 10-26-2017 at 10:25 AM.
    85 GT Hatchback, T-Tops. 2012 Coyote 5.0L Swap, T56 Magnum, GT550 Dept of Boost kit, with Eaton M122 SC, RAM 11" Powergrip clutch, BBK Long Tubes/OR X-Pipe, Flowmaster Axle Back, Stifflers DS Loop, and Rear X-member, AJE Tube Crossmember with AJE-Mod Mounts, 3.73 Posi 8.8, 5 lug Cobra 13" fr and 12.6" rear disc swap, 2004 Hydroboost Swap, MM SubFrame Connectors, MM Panhard Bar, MM front A-Arms, MM rear control arms, MM CC Plates, MM Coilovers w/Koni dampeners, MM Torque Arm (soon to be installed).

Tomorrow hoping to get the fuel tank installed, the aluminum driveshaft, and the rear tail pipes.... and hopefully mount the battery box. More pics to come.

Its been a while since I've updated the thread, but I have gotten quite a few things done. I fixed some cracks in the upper part of the dash hull, that you only see when the dash pad is off. I got them all cleaned, V'd the cracks out, and then supported the underside, and epoxied each crack. Thanks to tonysilver on here, I got a bunch of little things to help wrap up some of the small details. Getting the wiring all sorted and clipped into place, and got the big center vent fully mounted. Should have the Hertz dash speakers this week, and will mount them. I ran into an issue when mounting the deck... about 1/4" gap at the top and bottom, so I found some trim rings, but none of them fit and fill these gaps. Anyone have a part number of a trim kit that will trim out a single din deck in a fox body?

Name:  20171019_223219_HDR_resized.jpg
Views: 398
Size:  92.2 KB

I was able to add Royal Purple gear oil to the rear diff, and also added Royal Purple Synchromesh oil to the T5, installed the speedo sensor, and attempted to route the speedometer cable, but not sure where it should clip, other than the obvious clip under the drivers side floor pan. Is there a clip that is supposed to hold the speedo cable from hitting the headers?

I moved to the exhaust, and had some difficulties getting the Flowmaster tail pipes around the Maximum Motorsports panhard bar.... then I realized that the pipes need to be installed before the Panhard Bar. So, I removed the PB, installed the tailpipes, reinstalled the PB, installed the MAC Pro Chamber, and the MAC Long tube headers... exhaust in, and it looks good. Just need to grab some 02 Sensors and one plug for the 02 sensor hole in the Pro Chamber. I'll get some pics of the exhaust in tomorrow.

I turned my focus to the interior, and was able to save up funds after selling a couple items, and bought Corbeau cloth seats, black carpet, rear hatch carpet, and the matching black cloth rear seat covers that get hog-ringed on just like factory... that all just arrived yesterday... can't wait to get them installed.

Name:  corbeauseats.jpg
Size:  104.1 KB

I also picked up a nice Power Steering pulley to match the aluminum power pulleys I am running, and in the process, determined that the pulley set I have, are all March pulleys, so I also grabbed the pulley covers to clean up the alternator pulley, water pump, and PS pump pulleys. Need to modify one bracket to get the 3G alternator to work with the brackets. In the end, it turned out pretty clean.

Name:  20171023_200232_resized.jpg
Size:  98.5 KB

I got the battery mounted in the back, and will post pics of the cables getting soldered together, and how they get routed to the front. Next is to continue getting the wiring sorted, and get the dash in, and the engine/headlight harness all installed.

Looking good!! And for the radio trim ring I just used a basic Ford installation kit you can get at Walmart (my dash had been cut and the head unit wasn't stable). There was some gaps that with some trimming could have been taken care of but it fit better than expected, not perfect but decent enough to not really notice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1984 LTD LX, 160k mile Explorer 5.0, Comp XE264HR-14 cam, Alex’s Parts springs on stock GT40 3 bar heads, Unported Explorer intake, 1 5/8 shorty headers, off-road H-Pipe, Spintech 9000 mufflers, Holley Terminator X Max, J-Mod 4R70W, Mustang 8.8 w/ 3.73s, Tubular front and rear control arms, front coilovers, Turbocoupe rear coil springs

Perfect. I'll check Wal-Mart for the radio kit. Thanks

I can't believe I have missed 3 pages of this thread! Man you have been busy and got some stuff going on in here!

Looking good!
    Brock
    1984 Mustang LX Convertible 3.8L V-6/Auto (SOLD)
    1984 Mustang GT Hatchback 5.0 V-8/5 Speed

I'm an FEP Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

Let us know how you like the Corbeaus. I have been considering them but wanted to hear if they are comfortable.
    2000 Explorer engine with Edelbrock intake, Holley 600, TCI AOD, 3.73 gears, Max Mtr sport roll bar, subframe connectors, and rear control arms. /I]

Will do.... I can say that from the pics, the thigh bolsters looked taller than they are in person, which is actually better in my opinion. They almost looked too tall in the pics on LMR's site, and I was concerned that for people with any hips it might be uncomfortable. I don't have huge hips, so wasn't concerned about me, and when I sat in them, they felt great. Supportive, but not confining. They are probably half the weight of stock seats as well.

I made some progress over the last week or so, but mostly been doing wiring cleanup, which seems to just take a lot of time. I started building the battery cables today. Drilled out a hole that was already in the firewall, for the blukhead battery stud, and mounted it. Then soldered and heatshrinked the end and test mounted it. Turned out pretty good.

Trying to determine if I want to put the starter solenoid behind the pass side strut tower... I would need to extent the fusible links and the solenoid trigger wire over to the pass side. Thinking of just leaving it in the stock location though, as I have the stock brackets that hold the 02 sensor and starter harnesses, and they do a good job of keeping everything away from the exhaust.

Here are the pics of the battery cable and bulkhead connector work:

Name:  bulkheadstud1.jpg
Views: 352
Size:  34.1 KB

Name:  bulkheadstud2.jpg
Views: 356
Size:  47.5 KB

Name:  bulkheadstud3.jpg
Views: 356
Size:  45.8 KB

Here are a couple pics of the starter/02 harness brackets. I think I have them mounted correctly.

Name:  driversside-02sensorbracket.jpg
Views: 353
Size:  41.3 KB

Name:  passside-02sensorbracket.jpg
Views: 353
Size:  38.4 KB

I went and picked up all of my wiring for my Dakota dual fan controller today... yikes, more money than I would care to admit, to get the whole thing wired like it should be. I picked up one of these from Summit a couple weeks ago, along with 2 relays (one for each fan), and I will be setting one fan as the low speed, and one as high speed. Whats nice is you can set the first to come on at say 180, then the 2nd at 190, and then they both shut off when the temp cools back to say 175 (all programmable). You can also set the fans to run for a specific amount of time after the car has shut off, also programmable. I'm looking forward to programming it and seeing how it works. It gets great reviews from most of the main sites I've checked. I just need to determine a place to mount this module inside of the car. Its not meant to be exposed to engine heat or weather, so I'm trying to figure out a place maybe behind the glovebox, and just attach it with velcro so I can pull it down to modify the programming if needed. I could run the wiring up the console a bit, and mount it where the factory computer was... thats actually not a bad idea, and easy to get to if needed.

Name:  dak-pac-2750_xl.jpg
Views: 332
Size:  34.4 KB

My big dilemma now is determining where to mount a variety of things in the engine compartment... starting with the starter solenoid. I would love to hide it, but then that means I have to extend a bunch of wires, even if I am just moving it up behind the fender. In the end, I think I will just leave it in the stock location, and drill holes through my carbon fiber aprons, but support the back side with a steel or aluminum bracket to avoid hanging weight on the apron.

I also need to determine where to mount my fan relays. I was going to just use self-tapping screws and mount these at the bottom of the aluminum fan shroud, that way the wires aren't running all over, the wires all stay routed low, and they are out of the way and won't clutter the engine bay. Finally, I need to determine where to mount the MSD computer, and the easiest is next to the coil, as all of the wiring for this comes from the coil harness.

I am running the MSD 6520 Digital 6 Plus, and the only issues I have seen, are some folks say these can't survive in very wet conditions (even a car wash in a couple of circumstances), but that is only a couple of people out of many that have had no issues. Hopefully mounting it on top of the frame rail/apron will work out ok. I will fab a plate that is about the size of the following unit, and just mount it on some rubber isolating mounts that came with the MSD unit.

Name:  MSD-6520_SN.jpg
Views: 334
Size:  22.8 KB

If anyone has any ideas for places to mount some of this stuff, I'd love to hear it. I want to keep the bay as clean as possible, but not going to sacrifice practicality, or serviceability just to keep it clean. For instance, I've heard of folks that moved their starter solenoid, only to be frustrated by having to remove their fender just to swap it out after it stopped working...I don't need that headache.

FEP Member

Keep posting up pics as I'll be going through a lot of this stuff soon so I'd love to see what you come up with. Hopefully I'll be starting on my car Thanksgiving weekend and plan to clean up a lot under the hood as I swap out the SEFI 5.0 for a carbed 408.

Matt, let me know if you want my carbureted fuel lines, I have the stock one at the motor as well. If you are planning to run braided or something for big horsepower, these probably wouldn't be of interest.

I was able to get the dash repaired and painted, and also painted the rear hatch panels (I'm switching over to black), they came out pretty good. One thing I ran into, was that my dash hull is an 84, and apparently the spacing for the screws that hold the dash bezel into the hull are different after 85, so I may need to drill a hole in the 85 bezel if I want to run that one. I may just run the 84 Capri RS bezel shown in these pics

Name:  20171118_124449_resized.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  108.9 KB

Name:  20171118_172831_resized.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  121.7 KB

Name:  20171118_172838_resized.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  134.5 KB

Name:  20171118_172850_resized.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  112.4 KB

Here is a pic of the rear hatch panels painted black with SEM Trim Paint... turned out good

Name:  20171118_124444_resized.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  106.8 KB

The dash and the quarter panel look good. I am pretty sure the instrument cover in the photos is a 1982 item and not a 1984, just FYI.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

That could be... I know the hull is from an 84 Capri, so its interesting the spacing on the dash for the instrument bezel. Will I run into any issue with the dash pad, or are the dash pads universal between the different years... in terms of where the tabs are? I need to lay my pad on it to see, but need to pull it from storage.

FEP Senior Member

Looking good. Any plans to get the car out in 2018?