Close

Default Is your door stuck with your new striker?

I replaced the drivers door striker yesterday with a Dorman ford striker, part number #38448
    All seemed fine until the door seemed a little hard to close & I gave it a bit of a harder slam.

Well, then the door was stuck as if it was locked. Really took some finagiling to get it open again.
    After looking at things closer I realized that the sleeve on the Dorman striker is slightly larger than the original.

Once the bushing is forced into the lock it jambs the whole thing up with pressure & the lock won't release. I cut about .040" off it & it now works perfectly. Just wanted to share incase someone else runs into this. I also pushed the original out of the back washer so I could retain the original look once installed. Working perfect now.

Seeing I am a newbie to the fox bodies, maybe this is a known issue but seemed it was worth sharing for anyone else who has the same problem. Easy fix if you have a way to cut them down a little.

My original measured .690" & the doorman is .740"
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Last edited by 1983-GT; 05-21-2017 at 08:10 AM.

FEP Supporter

Thanks for the tip and exact dimensions!
    '85 GT

I have used the help brand bushings alone and never had a problem. I never replaced the entire assembly. Thanks for the tip though.