Close

Default Wrong distributor gear??

I've been converting my 85GT over from an HEI distributor to the Ford system it came with and have a timing problem. I bought what I think is the correct vacuum advance distributor for an 85GT. No matter what I do I just can't get the timing right. The engine in the car is from a 1995 F150. Could the problem be because I'm using a 85 distributor gear (that came on the distributor) in a 95 motor? It just occurred to me this morning that it may be the problem. The HEI distributor still has the other gear on it so I can swap them. Could this be my problem??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FEP Super Member

Does the 95 engine have a roller cam ?
    If so , this is not your problem .
    It is not the cut of the gear teeth, but the material they are made of that is different .
    clowns to the left of me , Jokers to the right

Ya im pretty sure that all Ford V8 motors from 85-95 had roller cams in them.

QUOTE=ashley roachclip;1846024]Does the 95 engine have a roller cam ?
    If so , this is not your problem .
    It is not the cut of the gear teeth, but the material they are made of that is different .[/QUOTE]

If the distributor won't drop all the way down, it's likely because it's not engaging the oil pump shaft.
    When installing a Ford distributor, it's common to have to turn the engine a bit, while pressing down
    on the distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by doubleg View Post
    Ya im pretty sure that all Ford V8 motors from 85-95 had roller cams in them.
    I am certain that this is not true. '85 CFI engines, for example, did not, nor did any 351s until
    around 1994.
    Last edited by JACook; 05-22-2017 at 10:52 AM.
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    '68 Vert, Mexican block 307 4-speed... '71 Datsun 510 ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune