Close

Default 83 gt will not idle after warm-up and stalls

I have a 83 gt with original carb. After warm up the idle kicks down and the car stalls. It will run if I keep my foot on the throttle but stalls as soon as I release it. I believe the dashpot/seleniod may be bad but how would I check to make sure? I've also done a search for a new one (part no. ES-72???) But can't find a replacement. Does this seem like the issue or what else may be causing this to happen? Thanks for any input!!

Have you tried adjusting the idle screw a little bit? When the engine is cold the idle is adjusted up a bit by the choke heater, but once it warms up and the choke heater "turns off", the idle is set, at least in part, by the idle adjustment screw. If it runs well otherwise, this is maybe the simple fix to the problem. The dashpot functions when the car is being run under heavy throttle (running wide open, for instance), and you suddenly let off the gas pedal. The dashpot activates and cracks open the throttle a little bit to prevent all that gas which is still being sucked into the intake from choking the engine. Unless it's leaking and causing a vacuum leak problem (which can definitely impact your idle) it shouldn't do anything to your idling situation. On that subject, check that your vacuum lines are in good shape and all plugged in where they belong.

FYI, the folks on this site are a wealth of knowledge, but you'll get better answers from folks if you tell them what you have...engine size, modifications, if any, year if the motor isn't original to the car, etc. This is a great site to learn about pretty much anything fox!

I forgot to answer your question about finding the dashpot, they're out there still, you can generally get that kind of thing from your local parts store or one of the online vendors.
    Last edited by Matt J; 05-20-2017 at 10:06 AM.

Thanks for the quick response Matt! Yes I did try that adjustment... that's why I was thinking it's the dashpot. This was the second time driving it after winter. The first time it idled very low to almost a stall. Didn't have time to mess with then, but second time out this is what it was doing. Tried adjusting to both extremes with no change and stalled. Actually it will not start unless you have the throttle depressed slightly and as soon as you let off it stalls making it hard to check with one person. It is a 5.0 all original with the Holley 4180c. I'll have to check all the vacuum lines but just seemed this might be the issue.