Close

Default Car won't turn over by key

I'm trying to build this 79 cobra it ran and all the gauges everything worked before i started restoring it. now that i got the motor and 4 speed in i can't seem to wire the 4 speed up right and can't get it to turn over by the key i don't see the problem any help would be appreciate. Pictures of solenoid and wiring would be appreciated. thanks in advance here's my ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i also don't think i have my alternator wired up correctly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was this car originally equipped with a 4-speed?

If it was originally an automatic, the starter interlock would would be in the neutral safety/reverse light
    switch on the transmission. If it was originally equipped with a manual transmission, the harness to the
    reverse light switch would have a jumper in it, to bypass the missing neutral safety switch. If that
    harness is not connected, the starter won't crank using the key.

IIRC, '79 did not use a clutch pedal interlock.
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    '68 Vert, Mexican block 307 4-speed... '71 Datsun 510 ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune

2 things I would check for voltage at the starter solenoid's coil, the wire that slides onto the small stud.
    If you have it there, run a jumper from battery negative to the metal frame of the starter solenoid.
    A bad ground will not allow it to work.
    And JACook that neutral safety bit me on my first engine/tranny swap.
    Ray
    86 Mustang LX 3.8 Convertible (bought new}
    65 Galaxie 500 XL 390 auto
    2A