Close

Default What Park Brake Cables for LTD/Fairmont to sn-95 Axle?

Ok. I recently heard Mark VII cables so I ordered and they are too long. There is a bracket forward of the rear axle on both sides. Maybe a foot forward of the wheel opening. That's where the casing would stop. Cable on each side has to reach maybe another foot. The casing itself has to span a distance of about 3 feet rearward to the caliper on each side. The actual pull on park brake is relatively small.

ok. I looked and the bracket is only a few inches ahead of wheel opening. Maybe t-bird cables?

Even though I am dealing with a cobra irs I figure sn95 axle with disc brakes is very similar. So if you've done the five lug disc brake conversion using an sn95 axle on your alternative foureyed fox, feel free to chime in!

Irritatingly, there are 2 different styles of Mark VII rear disc brakes. The early style ('84-89 or 90) are the same as the Mustang SVO. The later style ('91-92) are more like SN95. Judging by the fact that you've got a spring built in, you got the earlier style. You want the later style for SN95 brakes on a Boxy Fox. I actually just finished installing them yesterday, and if you use the Mark VII transverse cable, as well as the 2 rear cables, they fit great! I believe the Mark VII transverse cable is about 1-2 inches longer than the original Fairmont/Zephyr/Granada/Boxtop Cougar/LTD/Marquis transverse cable. Anyway, I'm sure that's your problem.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Aaargh! That means I messed up! I did key in the 91-92 model year and picked those out of the available choices. Is there a specific part number? I will go rockauto this time if there is availability.

Yeah, Rock Auto seems to have them correct. Just looking at Raybestos, the part number for the early one is BC93348, 36 1/4" in length, and the later one is BC94587, 37" in length. And you can look at the pics and see the difference.

Ironically, this is how I discovered there was a difference. Back when i had my SVO rear brakes, i accidentally got the later style and they didn't work. Wish I would have kept them though because i now have SN95 rear brakes and needed to switch cables back.

I know you had said they were too long, and we see above the newer ones are even longer, but take a look at how I've routed them through the bracket on the control arm.

That might just be an issue with your having the IRS. Do you think you could still route them in a way that will work?
    Last edited by ZephyrEFI; 08-15-2017 at 08:57 AM.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Thanks Brad! I will order those tomorrow!

I ordered BC94587. I am hoping I get a different result from these cables compared to the last set I ordered.

That should do it!
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

BTW the last set I ordered wasn't even close. They gave me like 3 or 4 options when I keyed in 91-92 Mark VII. I guess I chose wrong. Haha!

Thanks for the info guys, I have been trying to figure this out as well. I'll be ordering a set myself.

They just arrived today. It looks like they're gonna work. There is a gap. I think I am missing a short length of cable on each side with sleeve connectors at each end. I took it apart years ago and can't remember if or where I put them. I'll just have to search through manville and find them.

How big of a gap? I had one as well, but swapping from a Zephyr transverse cable to a Mark VII one solved that.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Quick review as I am currently doing this conversion.

91-92 MKVII axle to frame cables (2)
    91-92 MKVII Tranverse cable

This is all that is needed to complete the parking brakes after rear disc conversion?

Angry

Double post

Quote Originally Posted by j-man View Post
    Quick review as I am currently doing this conversion.

91-92 MKVII axle to frame cables (2)
    91-92 MKVII Tranverse cable

This is all that is needed to complete the parking brakes after rear disc conversion?
    Yep, that's what you need if you're using SN95 style brakes!
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrEFI View Post
    Yep, that's what you need if you're using SN95 style brakes!
    OUTSTANDING! I had done the full SN95 on a previous Mont, but I also converted the interior to aero fox including console and e-brake. I just used the traditional e-brake methods then. I am not converting this interior so I was curios. Now I know thanks to you guys!

I think it's gonna work for me. I did have an issue with park brake not working when I first installed, but I think that had more to do with the service brakes not being plumbed and operational so the pads were not in close contact and the park brake was just pushing the pads against air. Once I have an operational hydraulic brake system I will adjust and reportmy findings.

Mine have been functioning perfectly. I don't quite have my hydraulic rear brake bias dialed in, but I guess the parking brake mode works so differently it reaches across a long ways to get to the rotor. Nelz, did you not back the pistons out so that they're at least close to the rotors before you put them together?
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrEFI View Post
    Mine have been functioning perfectly. I don't quite have my hydraulic rear brake bias dialed in, but I guess the parking brake mode works so differently it reaches across a long ways to get to the rotor. Nelz, did you not back the pistons out so that they're at least close to the rotors before you put them together?
    I did not. I ended up pulling on the cables several times assuming it was some type of ratcheting mechanism. That seemed to work because eventually I got to the point where when I pulled on the cable it would apply pressure to the rotor.

Okay, that may be worth exploring then. Take your piston compressing turney tool thingy and turn the pistons back out until the pads almost contact the rotor. Not to the point of interference though.

That said, i still ended up having to adjust mine a LOT, by backing up and hitting the parking brake over and over. So, i think there is some truth to your ratcheting idea.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

I have to address this question again. My initial park brake setup which was tied in to the foot pedal. Well now I have to try and fit up the aero fox interior with the park brake hand lever and I need to route cables to Cobra IRS rear brakes. If you have done the mustang park brake lever conversion, how did you route your cables? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have aero interior and a foot parking brake.

Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Well that answers that question. I was wondering how you addressed it. I should've known from your cable recommendations earlier in the thread.