Close



Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 60
  1. #1
    FEP Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Mexico City
    Posts
    566

    Default 83 Convertible Build Thread - Bullit Inspired Fox

    I never started a thread about my 83 Convertible and the car is well under resto... so I guess Ill post where we are and the plans...

    Car was originally a V6, red with white top and red/white interior. I bought it from a friend that got tired with the project and decided to let it go (bought a two car package, a 68 vw bug and this 83 Mustang for a very attractive price).

    My friend swapped the engine for a Mexican Mustang 5.0 but had a lot of problems with overheating and the car not running right, he re-upholstered the interior in black (cheap quality and they basically destroyed the door panels) and gave the car a quick re-paint. The interior had 50 shades of sun baked red, but overall it was very well kept car with no rust whatsoever, straight panels not a single door ding...

    After going back on forth on whether keeping the car red... re-doing interior in red, I decided to change color scheme completely (I already have a 2014 red on red vert).

    So this is the "concept": The car will be restored as a "Bullit" Inspired Four Eyed Fox, taking most details from the 2001 New Edge Bullit Mustang, including its Highland Green color and the black bullit wheels (which I already have in my garage from my 03 GT).

    The 83 front and rear bumper covers are in very good shape but unfortunately all the body side moldings are not, so we will be changing them to the 85/86 bumper covers (I also had a complete 85 front end sitting in my garage and found a rear cover in awesome shape) and bought a new set of repro body side moldings to fit the bumper covers.

    Inside the car will be changed to black with new door panels, dash pad and repainted dash, center console, new carpet, 84 dash panels (the grey ones)

    Engine wise I will keep it mostly stock with its swapped V8 with only a new intake and 4V carb, will change the rear end to a 95 8.8 with posi and 5 lug discs, with the corresponding sn95 front brake 5 lug conversion as well.

    So here are pics of what I bought (looks great in pics, not so good in real life)






  2. #2
    FEP Super Member 84StangSVT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    4,066

    Default

    I'm one that wishes that you might reconsider the 85-86 bumper swap and retain the 83-84 bumpers as that is part of their identity. If you could find an 84 1/2 front bumper that has the foglights, that would be an awesome score. They are reproducing most of the early side moldings now so they could be replaced. Understandably, the 85-86 bumpers are easier to come by, making the swap a "no brainer", and they also look nice, I just prefer the early noses.

    I will be following along with your project as it sounds like it could be an interesting one. Looks like you got a good platform to work with.
    Brock
    1984 Mustang LX Convertible 3.8L V-6/Auto (SOLD)
    1984 Mustang GT Hatchback 5.0 V-8/5 Speed

    I'm an FEP Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

  3. #3
    FEP Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Mexico City
    Posts
    566

    Default

    Heres the car after paint removal and disassembly... it was in amazing shape, not a single door ding, accident damage, the only rusty part was the trunk lid (around the tag lights area where many of these cars rust)...



    And this is car in after painting all the exterior (still need to paint all the interior) now in Highland Green





    Keeping with the "Bullit inspired theme" the top will be black as well...

  4. #4

    Default

    That's just plain nice. I really like the green.

  5. #5
    FEP Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Mexico City
    Posts
    566

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 84StangSVT View Post
    I'm one that wishes that you might reconsider the 85-86 bumper swap and retain the 83-84 bumpers as that is part of their identity. If you could find an 84 1/2 front bumper that has the foglights, that would be an awesome score. They are reproducing most of the early side moldings now so they could be replaced. Understandably, the 85-86 bumpers are easier to come by, making the swap a "no brainer", and they also look nice, I just prefer the early noses.

    I will be following along with your project as it sounds like it could be an interesting one. Looks like you got a good platform to work with.
    Thanks, do you know if they are selling the rest of the 79-84 moldings already? I have only been able to find the door moldings. If I could buy the whole set I definitely will consider keeping the car with its original front and rear bumpers. The reason I decided the change is mainly because I am sick of buying used old moldings just to discover they are all shrunken (for some reason the moldings of Mexican built cars all shrink considerably and I hate how they look bad on my 81)

  6. #6
    FEP Super Member 84StangSVT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    4,066

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blueandsilver View Post
    Thanks, do you know if they are selling the rest of the 79-84 moldings already? I have only been able to find the door moldings. If I could buy the whole set I definitely will consider keeping the car with its original front and rear bumpers. The reason I decided the change is mainly because I am sick of buying used old moldings just to discover they are all shrunken (for some reason the moldings of Mexican built cars all shrink considerably and I hate how they look bad on my 81)
    Unfortunately, they have not released the full set yet. Some guys have got an extra door molding and cut them to fill in the other areas. The only issue is that the door moldings are a bit thinner than the ones that connect directly in front/behind the bumpers. I'm not sure how much of a thickness difference there is between the 2, but I believe my car has been redone with the door moldings by the bumpers and it doesn't appear to be that noticeable IMHO.

    BTW.....That car is going to look sharp in Highland Green! Looks good already!
    Brock
    1984 Mustang LX Convertible 3.8L V-6/Auto (SOLD)
    1984 Mustang GT Hatchback 5.0 V-8/5 Speed

    I'm an FEP Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

  7. #7

    Default

    I'm loving those four-hole wheels! ��
    Jim DeAngelis
    Cornucopia of Useless Knowledge
    Connoisseur of Dearborn Ferrous Oxide
    '83 GT hatch, currently under the knife

  8. #8
    FEP Super Member xctasy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Dunedin 9011, New Zealand, South Pacific
    Posts
    2,544

    Default

    Non metric versions of the TRX Escort and also other alloy wheel existed in Mexican Fords. World wide, you could have TRX, Imperial, and the choice of 114.3 or 108 mm stud pattern, 14" or 365mm or 13"

    Australias 323 GLC based Ford Laser Sport



    http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y39...dsc00054dz.jpg

    UK XR3 Escort



    Brazils Escort




    365mm x 135mm, 4 Lug, 4.25" Bolt Pattern, 41.4mm Offset in the US Ford EXP/Mercury LN7 "1238" wheels on it, a sixth factory TRX option for Ford:-)



    The Mexican Mustang had it in imperial.

    But then, its a 928 Porsche knock off missing an extra hole...





    Non metric versions of the 80-82 Thunderbird and Crimson Cat Fairmont TRX option wheel, the "1158"


  9. #9
    FEP Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Mexico City
    Posts
    566

    Default

    The wheels are not original from this car, as this car was imported from Texas into Mx, they were swapped from the car that donated the V8 engine (a Mexican 83 Mustang). I will not be keeping them in this car because Im doing the 5 lug swap to install the 03 bullit 17" wheels, however I admit they look very nice with the green car.

    Im glad people like the color. I find it unusual that Ford only offered the "almost military sage green" option for 85/86 and never offered other shades of green in four eye cars. It certainly is going to look unique

  10. #10
    FEP Super Member xctasy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Dunedin 9011, New Zealand, South Pacific
    Posts
    2,544

    Default

    on wheels (even if they are 13""?) and color. A truley great Convertible and an adVert for nice painting !!


    Factory Olive Green was a popular Porsche 928 promo color which I've always loved.



    The Ghia Vignale Mustang FF might have gotten a lighter shade of it too.




  11. #11

    Default

    I have an extra set of oem mouldings that match up to the bumpers.

    They came off a salvage car. Slight shrinkage to them. I can help you to fix that though.
    Last edited by wraithracing; 05-18-2017 at 10:07 AM. Reason: Offering for Sale outside of the Classifieds

  12. #12
    FEP Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Mexico City
    Posts
    566

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Davedacarpainter View Post
    I have an extra set of oem mouldings that match up to the bumpers.

    They came off a salvage car. Slight shrinkage to them. I can help you to fix that though.
    Thanks, I will send you a PM!

  13. #13
    FEP Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Mexico City
    Posts
    566

    Default

    Any advice on how to repaint the dash panels? How can I prep the surface for correct paint adhesion and find the closest to original color?

    I want to use these ones, they are complete and in good shape but the dark grey sections have some scuffing and look faded. the black part I was able to clean it well with WD40 and a fine toothbrush...

    Im not restoring the car myself but my brother and I like to take some smaller projects on our own (some interior assembly and restoration, engine tune ups and such)

    Heres the pic before I cleaned them up:




  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 84StangSVT View Post
    Unfortunately, they have not released the full set yet. Some guys have got an extra door molding and cut them to fill in the other areas. The only issue is that the door moldings are a bit thinner than the ones that connect directly in front/behind the bumpers. I'm not sure how much of a thickness difference there is between the 2, but I believe my car has been redone with the door moldings by the bumpers and it doesn't appear to be that noticeable IMHO.

    BTW.....That car is going to look sharp in Highland Green! Looks good already!
    EDIT. Trying to find a post. Great looking car BTW. Awesome progress.
    Last edited by homer302; 05-18-2017 at 05:40 PM.

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blueandsilver View Post
    Any advice on how to repaint the dash panels? How can I prep the surface for correct paint adhesion and find the closest to original color?

    I want to use these ones, they are complete and in good shape but the dark grey sections have some scuffing and look faded. the black part I was able to clean it well with WD40 and a fine toothbrush...

    Im not restoring the car myself but my brother and I like to take some smaller projects on our own (some interior assembly and restoration, engine tune ups and such)

    Heres the pic before I cleaned them up:



    I can help you with the painting process, but the WD40 is almost the worst thing you can do anywhere even close to something you want to paint. It will not allow paint to adhere, period. You'll want to get that back off of it. PM me with details of what you want to do and I'll try to help you out.

  16. #16
    FEP Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Mexico City
    Posts
    566

    Default

    Does anybody knows if oval air filters fit under the hood of our cars? I found this on CJ Pony and like it a lot:

    http://www.cjponyparts.com/scott-dra...FQGQaQodKq8G-A

    Car has the original intake manifold and a 2V motorcraft carb, original distributor.... I might change the intake manifold and carb to an Edelbrock Performer combo (it would be the performer RPM manifold, not the air gap)

    thanks

  17. #17
    FEP Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Mexico City
    Posts
    566

    Default

    Heres last weekends update:

    1. Engine Bay has been painted green, the only remaining red on the car is the floors and the interior of the trunk, which will be painted this week.
    2. Fenders have been fitted again (they are still doing some alignment), they are already sanded and polished and I have to say I am 100% happy with my color choice!
    3. They are fitting the front of the car and will begin prepping it for paint

    I also just placed the order at Summit and CJ Pony for the engine bay dress up and the intake / carb combo. I will follow with what I have on my 81 and 66 Mustangs, which so far have been very good components: Edelbrock Performer Intake black powder coated, a 600 com 4V Edelbrock Car (black as well), performer rpm fuel pump and line to go with it. As for the engine dress up, the block will be painted black and sport the black finned engine valve covers and the air filter that I posted in my previous post. The idea is that the engine will "follow up" with the Bullit theme with a black / green combo.






  18. #18
    FEP Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Mexico City
    Posts
    566

    Default

    Things are coming along nicely, here are updated pics from this weekend visit to the shop,

    Front end is painted, needs some detailing, but Im in love with the color:



    Hood: I will install the 83 GT / Turbo GT scoop, with the black out of the 85/86 (without the GT cutout, it will be painted rather than a decal)


    Door needs alignment but it looks straight

  19. #19
    FEP Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Mexico City
    Posts
    566

    Default

    Rear quarters look really good as well, but the right quarter unfortunately has a scratch below the fuel door that will require re-finishing and painting

    Rear bumper cover being fitted, under work... as usual these always have some warping

    Trunk is no longer red....

    Finally the engine bay... Love how its looking and the dress up kit just arrived, so Im just imagining how awesome its going to look...

    Dress up kit:


    Air Filter "mocked up" on my 66s engine bay:

  20. #20
    FEP Super Member Gemini1999's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Citrus Heights, CA
    Posts
    4,482

    Default

    Oh...my...god...!

    This car is going to be so fabulous! I'm loving it already.
    Bryan

    1983 Mustang GLX Convertible
    1984 Mustang Turbo GT Convertible

  21. #21
    FEP Member brianj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Raymond, New Hampshire
    Posts
    2,746
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Is that the non-metallic highland green?
    1983 Mustang G.T. No-option stripper- I like strippers.
    5.0, GT40P heads, Comp Cams XE270HR-12 on 1.6 rockers, TFI spring kit, Weiand 174 blower, Holley 750 mechanical secondarys, Mishimoto radiator, Edelbrock street performer mechanical pump, BBK shortys, T-5 conversion, 8.8 rear, 3.73 gears, carbon fiber clutches, SS Machine lowers, Maximum Motorsport XL subframes, "B" springs.

  22. #22

    Default

    It's really turning out nice. Beautiful color.

  23. #23
    FEP Super Member JTurbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Western MA
    Posts
    5,608

    Default

    Looks awesome, can't wait to see some pictures of the car outside in the sunlight.

  24. #24
    FEP Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Mexico City
    Posts
    566

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brianj View Post
    Is that the non-metallic highland green?
    It has dark gold flakes, its the highland green from the 01 model, but for some reason it looks different from the pictures Ive seen of 01 Bullits, this one is not as dark....

  25. #25
    FEP Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Mexico City
    Posts
    566

    Default

    Thanks for the compliments!

    Hope it turns out better than my 81 ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •