Close

Thread: Ect Act help!

Default Ect Act help!

The Brown plug in the pictures is my coolant temp sensor correct? Im seeing other pictures with it more torwards the intake runner. I think I mixed them up. Or is it possible to just delete the lower intake sensors? Thanks. (86 thunderbird 5.0 upper and lower gt40 intake)

Sent from my 5017B using Tapatalk

Looks like you have the act where the coolant temp sender for the gauge is supposed to go. The coolant sender is just a single wire connection. Some explorer intakes look like a gt-40 but don't have an act port in the lower intake runner . You would need to move it to the intake pipe or drill and tap the lower

I think the plugs themselves are mixed then. The actual sensor in the pictures has the solid cylindrical piece. The sensor in my intake tube is the small prong with a little cage.

So I think the connections might just be mixed.

So both connections have two wires?

nope the temp sensor just has one wire and it just slides onto the top.

Im saying each of mine have two wires.

First things first, a SENSOR and a SENDING UNIT are being confused here as the same thing. They are not the same thing.

• The engine coolant temperature (ECT) SENSOR connector has TWO wires. The sensor is for feedback to the ECM.
    • The coolant temperature SENDING UNIT connector has ONE wire. The sending unit is for the temperature gauge in the instrument cluster.

The ECT sensor is in the coolant tube near where the upper radiator hose connectors to the lower intake manifold.
    The ACT sensor (also two wires) is in the lower intake manifold on the opposite side of the ECT sensor, in the first intake runner (#5).
    The coolant temp sending unit is in the front right corner of the lower intake manifold.

You have an ACT/ECT sensor screwed into the coolant temp sending unit hole.

This should help:

Name:  sensor-locations2.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  68.6 KB
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

ACT sensor
    Name:  lrs-12697a_2737.jpg
Size:  14.3 KB
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ECT sensor
    Name:  lrs-12648a_3492.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  14.5 KB
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Temp gauge sending unit
    Name:  sw925_5988.jpg
Size:  29.5 KB
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

^ ding ding ding
    1986 CHP SSP Coupe

Pretty sure they were the same part number back in the day. As in the same sensor for both ECT and IAT.
    BBD PERFORMANCE
    HIGH PERFORMANCE PARTS
    CUSTOM ENGINE BUILDS
    CUSTOM CAM DESIGNS
    1983 CRIMSON CAT OWNER

Thank you!!! Cleared it all up! I appreciate the response!