Close

Default TMI 84 SVO Cloth

I've picked up some 86 seats and I'm thinking of getting the TMI grey SVO cloth & foam but using my halos. This is for my 84 Predator which has 83 seats (non bolster) stock. The TMI options for 83 seats seems to be pretty sparse so I've come up with this plan. From a color point of view they look closer to what I should be running in the Predator. All I have are these pics from LMR. Does anyone have better pics of TMI cloth SVO?
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    65 Fastback 302/T5
    82 Mustang GT
    84 Mustang Predator GT302H 4S-119

I have a cloth sample from TMI for the SVO cloth. I don't want to bash TMI as they are the only game in town that is trying to provide "restoration"/replacement upholstery for our beloved Foxes.

The issue is once again the cloth they offer is not an exact replacement. It has dots like the OEM material, but the dots are much larger and don't have the same look as the original material. I personally was considering going back with cloth in my SVO, but the material is so far off and different that I will most likely go leather when I do finally pull the trigger.

I will try and dig thru my stuff and find the cloth sample if possible.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

This is what I'm dealing with now and I think it's an optimistically flattering picture. This upholstery is of course unavailable so if the SVO upholstery looks appropriate I'd be happy.
    65 Fastback 302/T5
    82 Mustang GT

Have you checked with SMS Fabrics to see if they have any NOS material for your seats?

The material is not cheap, but if you want to be correct, they are they way to go. TMI will sew up the seats using outside sources materials, but there is no cost reduction for you providing the materials.

https://www.smsautofabrics.com/
    ​Trey

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Thanks. I've made several reversible mods to the car so spending extra for originality wouldn't gain my anything. I'll store the seats and use the 85 shells. TMI sent me a pic that I haven't seen online showing the 84 design with piping. The insert fabric looks decent? I've ordered a charcoal sample.
    Name:  84.86-GT-Red.jpg
Views: 410
Size:  24.5 KB
    Name:  IMG_1043.jpg
Views: 405
Size:  23.2 KB
    65 Fastback 302/T5
    82 Mustang GT

FEP Senior Member

Good luck working with SMS. It took me over two months to get samples from them. Then the cloth was the wrong type. Carpet samples come from ACC, not original as I thought it was. They did have the right cloth when they sent out a second sample. I ordered a yard of carpet, only to find out it came direct from ACC. Not original Ford, and was the wrong color in the end. I also order the vinyl for the headliner for a T-top car, the same time as the carpet. That's been over three weeks now. Still waiting on the vinyl.

I ended up buying the cloth from https://originalauto.com/products/n-...t-cloth-vinyl/ I ordered it on a friday and had it the next tuesday. SMS charges $95 a yard, and this place was $89 a yard. It's all original fabric. Also got the piping from then too.

Try Original Auto Interiors out first.

Trey I found this pretty high res pic of the SVO upholstery which I think is TMI. Does this shade of grey on the insert look like what you have in the sample?Name:  86_mustang_svo_red_3.jpg
Views: 396
Size:  89.3 KB
    65 Fastback 302/T5
    82 Mustang GT

Here is a zoomed pic. I've very interested if the color here is accurateName:  svo_close.jpg
Views: 399
Size:  112.2 KB
    65 Fastback 302/T5
    82 Mustang GT

I can't speak to the OEM SVO perforation accuracy but these seem very consistent with the the old Ford Motorsport seats:Name:  motorsport_closeup.jpg
Views: 391
Size:  128.5 KB
    65 Fastback 302/T5
    82 Mustang GT

Quote Originally Posted by ToddMcF2002 View Post
    Here is a zoomed pic. I've very interested if the color here is accurateName:  svo_close.jpg
Views: 399
Size:  112.2 KB
    Trey does your sample look like this pic color wise?
    65 Fastback 302/T5
    82 Mustang GT

FEP Supporter

About a year ago I bought a set of TMI SVO seat covers but I have yet to install them. To be fair, I have no idea how long they were in the retailers warehouse, so TMI may be using different fabric, etc. at this point.

My takeaway is that the TMI covers are not at all an exact match. The fabrics and colors are very different and while they are automotive grade, they don't seem to be on the same level as the factory SVO stuff. I think the OE material would outlast what TMI provides all things being equal.

The outer fabric on the TMI is more "synthetic" feeling to me and darker than the OE.

The "dots" on the OE material are "loomed" (I don't know if that's the right term) into the fabric where the TMI dots are some kind of graphic/dye/part of the coloring of the fabric deal.

I plan on using these one day as I think they will look nice but I wouldn't mix and match the TMI stuff with OE. The differences would be pretty glaring IMO.

Name:  IMG_0880.jpg
Views: 380
Size:  124.9 KB

Name:  IMG_0879.jpg
Views: 372
Size:  120.3 KB

Name:  IMG_0876.jpg
Views: 375
Size:  181.9 KB

Name:  IMG_0877.jpg
Views: 371
Size:  189.6 KB

Name:  IMG_0878.jpg
Views: 373
Size:  188.4 KB
    Last edited by qikgts; 05-17-2017 at 01:41 PM.
    '85 GT

FEP Supporter

FWIW, I think all the pics of SVO seats in this thread not posted by me are OE SVO material, not TMI.
    '85 GT

Quote Originally Posted by qikgts View Post
    FWIW, I think all the pics of SVO seats in this thread not posted by me are OE SVO material, not TMI.
    That's exactly what I was worried about. Some of the pics simply looked too good to not be OEM. I did a set of black TMI 1990 seats recently and I was very impressed. The 4-eye stuff scares me though. The 85/86 stuff I've seen is really bad. Its pretty crazy to me that TMI would go through all this effort to get the foam and fit so perfect and then be so completely incompetent picking fabric colors. For the SVO I'm more disturbed by how dark the outer charcoal is than the faux perforated inner fabric. I have fabric samples on the way for an 84GT and I fully expect the fabric to be terribly dark. I'll certainly post pics when the samples arrive. As it stands this isn't going to work!
    65 Fastback 302/T5
    82 Mustang GT

The pictures posted above show the same materials that I have received samples for, so I don't believe they are offering anything different at this time.

In defense of TMI, the issue with the Fox Mustangs is that "Restorations" are not a popular past time for these vehicles. Yes, they are popular and get modified, repaired, rebuilt, and even some are restored, but nowhere near the numbers for the 60's Mustangs, Muscle cars, and other vehicles.

Unfortunately the Fox Mustang crowd is a tough sell when it comes to restoration items and especially EXPENSIVE restoration items. Yes there are some owners that have the means, the willingness, and the spare cash to spend on perfect restoration items, but so many of us don't and won't!

So the only thing companies like TMI and others can do is provide what is cost effective for them to make and sell or provide nothing at all. There isn't enough volume for TMI to reproduce many of the OEM fabrics to the original colors and materials so they do the next best thing with what is available already in the market. That is the reason why you don't have perfect matches in regards to material type, colors, etc.

I would prefer that the SVO materials were a perfect match and an excellent restoration item, but they just aren't. Bottom line is they are better than nothing and overall are reasonably priced for what you get. Will the material wear and last like OEM . . . I honestly can't say. The OEM cloth both the Recaro and the SVO materials were known for their terrible wear patterns and loss of actual pattern on the materials in just a few years, so truthfully that doesn't say much for the OEM materials.

I will get off my soap box, I just feel we as the Fox owners need to understand the situation and realize that sometimes something is better than nothing. Also that we and our collective tight wallets are to blame for some of the products that we are stuck with in regards to restorations and repairs. Best of Luck!
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

No worries Trey I appreciate the perspective. I have one other option that is a bit off the reservation. Since I know TMI tweed is a superior product what about an 87-89 tweed with halos? This seems like blasphemy in the Predator. The 82 had truly awful seats so I have no regrets there but the Predator I don't know. What do you think? Name:  tmi_tweed.jpg
Views: 358
Size:  41.4 KB
    65 Fastback 302/T5
    82 Mustang GT

Please don't take my previous post as a personal attack. I was just trying to explain why some of the issues we deal with as Fox owners happen. I am not a concourse restoration type of guy to begin with and have no issues or problems with people making a vehicle their own, working within their budget/time constraints, or honestly just doing what ever the Heck they want to!

I personally was never a fan of the 87-93 materials, I thought Ford went a bit too pedestrian/family car with many of their material choices. I know others feel different and that is just fine, not my personal taste, but not my car! The material shown above is not bad overall IMHO and if that works for you, then I would say go for it.
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

I didn't view it as a personal attack at all so no worries! I'm not going to do anything until the 84GT samples come in. Who knows maybe they will look good enough. I've seen pics of the beige version and I could live with that.
    65 Fastback 302/T5
    82 Mustang GT

Well I got my 84GT samples today. TMI must be joking. This is the fabric sample they sent me that is supposed to be on the seats pictured. The sample includes the piping (left side) and fabric (right side) for the seat. The fabric is basically black!

65 Fastback 302/T5
    82 Mustang GT

Personally I see no foul in upgrading to 86 SVO pattern leather or 1993 pattern leather in a tasteful color. Personally I'm a big fan of the taller seat backs. When I redo my 1986GT the seats will be black leather in an SVO pattern

My final option to stay grey is Cobra Style. I'll get some samples I guess
    65 Fastback 302/T5
    82 Mustang GT

The Cobra seat option is a good looking seat. Just FYI the seats are just the SVO foam with the Cobra upholstery style on the Sport Seat frames.

The only other issue, is I have heard the micro suede doesn't wear very well over time. I have no personal experience in regards to that, just what I have read on other sites. I personally like the style and have considered it myself, but the micro suede concerns me.

Also don't hesitate to ask TMI for ALL their grey color samples they have several and most likely have a grey that will work for you even if they don't list is specifically for your year model or even for the Fox Mustangs. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller