Close

Default 1982 rear split fold down seat

How hard is it to change over to a 1984 and up split fold down seat in an 82? Is it as simple as getting the brackets and the seat or is it more involved?

It's simple. The hardest part is correctly positioning and shimming the center pivot. You'll drill two holes and bolt it and use shims to tweak the height basically. I did this on my 82. Pivot & Brackets used from eBay.
    65 Fastback 302/T5
    82 Mustang GT
    84 Mustang Predator GT302H 4S-119

Not too hard at all.

They way I do it, is to install the side brackets and the center pivot, but do not anchor the center pivot. Tighten up all the mounting bolts on the sides and folding brackets. Then install the metal panels that anchor to the floor. Stand the seat backs up and latch them to the metal panel. Now align the seat back side to side and along the top by moving the center pivot point fore and aft on the body and shimming as needed to align the top. Once you are happy with the placement, mark the holes and drill for a couple of bolts or screws.

You can always tweak things a bit more later if needed, but this will usually get you really close to the right position. Folding the seats back down and re-latching them in the upright position will let you know if you got the position right or need to adjust everything. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Thanks for the info!

FEP Power Member

Good to know. The split rear seat is such a better design.