Close

Default A/C idle solenoid on carb

So I replaced my stock 4180c carb on my 84 GT a while back with a new 4160. Runs better, but when I switch the ac on, the idle drops too low..like to 400-500 rpm. To compensate, I raised my idle from 700 to 900. But I know my stock carb came with a solenoid that raises the rpm when the ac is on. My question is, can this be bolted on the 4160? Has anyone done this? Pic below
    1984.5 GT 5.0 5 Speed ANALOG
    BBK Long Tubes/H pipe/FM
    Edelbrock Intake/Holley 600
    8.8 w/FMS 3.73s
    Steeda Shifter

2010 GT 5 Speed DIGITAL
    Track Pack
    Pypes Violator axle back
    Airaid Cold Air

FEP Supporter

If you decide to not try and adapt the stock piece, Holley offers their own solenoid and bracket for your application.

https://www.holley.com/products/fuel...ge/parts/46-74

EDIT- I also read that the idle solenoid 2150 carbs bolts right up to a standard Holley 4 base. (Post #6 and beyond it's discussed.)

http://www.chevelles.com/forums/13-p...oid-today.html

If that's correct, the part would be a Motorcraft CD92. Rock Auto has them for a whopping $10.85. Personally, I'd spend about $20 to see if fits.

http://www.rockauto.com/en/parts/mot...+dash+pot,6012
    Last edited by qikgts; 05-13-2017 at 06:03 PM.
    '85 GT

Thanks for the info. I saw that new Holley version, but I didn't feel like dropping a 100 bucks.

So just to clear it up, that other one on Rockauto is for a motorcraft 2bbl but it will bolt up to my Holley? And the stock one won't?
    BBK Long Tubes/H pipe/FM
    8.8 w/FMS 3.73s
    Steeda Shifter

2010 GT 5 Speed DIGITAL
    Track Pack
    Pypes Violator axle back
    Airaid Cold Air

FEP Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by vxr500 View Post
    So just to clear it up, that other one on Rockauto is for a motorcraft 2bbl but it will bolt up to my Holley? And the stock one won't?
    From what that Chebby link said, it seemed to be the case.

The stock one has a much different looking bracket.

Searching a bit, it seems that some guys have also used the Holley bracket with a GP Sorensen solenoid.

Check this link out. The pics are pretty detailed so you should be able to tell if your carb looks the same.

http://www.stl-vettes.com/65Vette/Solenoid/Solenoid.htm

Hopefully this helps you.
    '85 GT

The factory bracket/solenoid incorporates mounting for the WOT A/C cut-out switch (black switch w/ 2-wire plug under solenoid) that disengages the A/C compressor during full throttle. The solenoid in the rockauto link does not have the switch. Probably the difference you're seeing.
    Thomas

1985 Mustang GT - Build Thread
    347 (Stock Block, Scat Crank & Rods, Probe Pistons, 11:1 CR, AFR 185's, PP Crosswind Intake, Custom-ground Comp Hyd Roller Cam, Scorpion 1.6 Roller Rockers, Holley 3310-4), T-5, 8.8 w/3.55's, MM SFC's, T/A, PHB, LCA's, Strut Tower Brace, K-Member Brace, Bilstein HD Struts/Shocks, MM/H&R Springs, SN95 5-Lug, Cobra Brakes, '04 Mach 1 Steering Rack

FEP Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by 85MUSTANGTGT View Post
    The factory bracket/solenoid incorporates mounting for the WOT A/C cut-out switch (black switch w/ 2-wire plug under solenoid) that disengages the A/C compressor during full throttle. The solenoid in the rockauto link does not have the switch. Probably the difference you're seeing.
    The stock bracket also is laid back where the Holly piece and the 2 barrel one are more vertical.

Oddly enough from the pics in that "vette" link, it would seem the stock one would (maybe) hit the linkage better!

Now I feel like I've only confused things...
    Last edited by qikgts; 05-13-2017 at 09:19 PM.
    '85 GT

Did any of these solenoids mentioned have issues with not being able to lift the throttle off the idle screw? Just thought it was worth asking because years back I added a solenoid to a carb where the car had A/C & while it would hold the idle up if the throttle was returning back from acceleration, it would't raise it from the idle screw on its own. iirc, I had tried a weaker return spring with no luck. I replaced it with a holley & that cured it. I still have the car if pictures would help in any way.

Does anyone know where the pigtail that plugs into that solenoid leads from? I see some red wires near the compressor with an unplugged lead.

And did the 84's have the WOT compressor cut out? I thought that started in 85?
    BBK Long Tubes/H pipe/FM
    8.8 w/FMS 3.73s
    Steeda Shifter

2010 GT 5 Speed DIGITAL
    Track Pack
    Pypes Violator axle back
    Airaid Cold Air

Pic...
    BBK Long Tubes/H pipe/FM
    8.8 w/FMS 3.73s
    Steeda Shifter

2010 GT 5 Speed DIGITAL
    Track Pack
    Pypes Violator axle back
    Airaid Cold Air

The plug in your photo may be for the a/c cut-out switch. The wire for the solenoid is a single-wire plug and be somewhere on top of the intake manifold, part of the engine harness. My wire is lt green w/ purple hash marks, not sure if color would be same on your '84.

Dug this out of my stash. Bought it awhile back to put on my factory carb should I ever decide to put it back on.

E4 part number. Solenoid w/ cut-out switch.

Last edited by 85MUSTANGTGT; 07-08-2017 at 09:56 PM. Reason: fix photos
    Thomas

1985 Mustang GT - Build Thread
    347 (Stock Block, Scat Crank & Rods, Probe Pistons, 11:1 CR, AFR 185's, PP Crosswind Intake, Custom-ground Comp Hyd Roller Cam, Scorpion 1.6 Roller Rockers, Holley 3310-4), T-5, 8.8 w/3.55's, MM SFC's, T/A, PHB, LCA's, Strut Tower Brace, K-Member Brace, Bilstein HD Struts/Shocks, MM/H&R Springs, SN95 5-Lug, Cobra Brakes, '04 Mach 1 Steering Rack

Quote Originally Posted by vxr500 View Post
    ...And did the 84's have the WOT compressor cut out? I thought that started in 85?
    The WOT A/C cutout was introduced in the '83 model year.
    The '83 solenoid is a different part than '84 and '85, (CD-73 - E3PZ-9S520-A), but the only difference
    is the amount of idle speed kick-up.

Do compare your current throttle arm with the original. The 4160 obviously won't have the tab that
    actuates the WOT switch, but the arm may also not contact the tip of the solenoid at idle.
    Last edited by JACook; 05-22-2017 at 10:00 AM.
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    '68 Vert, Mexican block 307 4-speed... '71 Datsun 510 ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune

I just installed the original carb back on my 83 this past weekend.

Interestingly it has the solenoid & the WOT switch, but the car has no A/C What I also noticed is the carb doesn't have
    the standard Holley idle adjustment set screw, so its only adjusted against the solenoid. So it would seem likely the solenoid probably came on
    all of the cars regardless if it had A/C or not?

I will confirm that my non ac 83 gt had exactly the same thing. I adjusted the idle on the solenoid

Sent from my F8131 using Tapatalk
    1981 Mustang Hatch 3.3 "Orange Juice"
    1983 Mustang GT Convertible "Triple Black"
    1994 Ford ThunderBird SC
    1987 Firebird T/A
    1984 Firebird Forumla
    1988 Mazda RX-7 Infinity
    1987 Mazda RX-7 Turbo II
    1994 Eagle Talon TSI
    1991 Eagle Talon TSI
    2003 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP

Quote Originally Posted by 1983-GT View Post
    I just installed the original carb back on my 83 this past weekend.

Interestingly it has the solenoid & the WOT switch, but the car has no A/C What I also noticed is the carb doesn't have
    the standard Holley idle adjustment set screw, so its only adjusted against the solenoid. So it would seem likely the solenoid probably came on
    all of the cars regardless if it had A/C or not?
    Correct. All 5.0L engines got the solenoid, non-A/C cars were supposed to have the solenoid pigtail wire snipped off during assembly.
    Jim DeAngelis
    Cornucopia of Useless Knowledge
    Connoisseur of Dearborn Ferrous Oxide
    '83 GT hatch, currently under the knife
    '79 Capri 2.3L n/a, Medium Copper metallic, survivor
    (bought from MRausch82)

The missing idle stop screw hole in the baseplate is one of the things that identifies a Mustang 4180C baseplate.
    Most of the truck carbs had that screw. The Mustang 4180C did not, nor was the hole drilled.
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    '68 Vert, Mexican block 307 4-speed... '71 Datsun 510 ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune

Default A/C idle solenoid on carb

Quote Originally Posted by 1983-GT View Post
    Did any of these solenoids mentioned have issues with not being able to lift the throttle off the idle screw? Just thought it was worth asking because years back I added a solenoid to a carb where the car had A/C & while it would hold the idle up if the throttle was returning back from acceleration, it would't raise it from the idle screw on its own. iirc, I had tried a weaker return spring with no luck. I replaced it with a holley & that cured it. I still have the car if pictures would help in any way.
    I bought the Holley solenoid to use on the double pumper on my 84 GT. It does not have enough power to move the throttle arm and raise the idle on its own. Once you blip the throttle with the solenoid engaged, it will hold the new raised idle position just fine, but it won't lift it up without help. It was a bit of a disappointment, but I'm still able to use it as a sort of high idle switch for keeping it running when the engine's still cold. Once it warms up, it doesn't have as much trouble idling with the compressor engaged. My idle's already a little higher than stock due to running a relatively aggressive cam. I flip a switch to turn my solenoid on at cold start when I set the choke. I can turn it off when the temp hits about 160 and it'll idle reliably.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk